PDA

View Full Version : Starters...

Haggis
10-14-2007, 01:54 AM
Does anyone know if I could take the starter off my 88' 325is and put it in to 91 318i sedan?

I checked realoem and they had different part numbers, but then i saw somewhere on the web that you could so I just wanna make sure and see if any of you would know.

thanks.

SamE30e
10-14-2007, 02:10 AM
Oh god.. OH GOD NOO!!! Even if you could, you'll try and take off the starter and then commit suicide. I almost did trying to get mine off.. I still can't get my last tranny bolt off.

Axxe
10-14-2007, 04:29 AM
They are NOT compatible.

Haggis
10-14-2007, 11:26 AM
Ok thanks guys. I guess ill have to look around for 1

Axxe
10-14-2007, 03:04 PM
I just realized, that I *should* have a M42 starter kicking around. If you really need it I can check it out later tonight, but I have to go to Kitchener.

Haggis
10-14-2007, 03:07 PM
If you could that would be great. I was only asking because i have this 325is thats more or less only good for parts and i was looking at a 318i for a winter beater and the starter is about to go. but yeah if you could check whenever you get a spare chance that would be great.

supernaught
10-15-2007, 09:01 AM
You might be able to have your starter rebuilt if you are in a tight spot. I got mine done in 1 day at a shop near me. Getting a used working one will be cheaper, as my rebuild cost $80
It may also be that the starter on the 318 has corroded contacts and that may be the only issue.
Good luck.
Also, I was able to get a wrench on my tranny bolts, so I know its not impossible.
Good luck.

AWD_Guy
10-17-2007, 12:00 PM
You might be able to have your starter rebuilt if you are in a tight spot. I got mine done in 1 day at a shop near me. Getting a used working one will be cheaper, as my rebuild cost $80
It may also be that the starter on the 318 has corroded contacts and that may be the only issue.
Good luck.
Also, I was able to get a wrench on my tranny bolts, so I know its not impossible.
Good luck.

No it isnt impossible but very, very tight.

I had to use a one of those mastercraft wrenches where all you turn is the handle and it moves the head of the wrench. That was the only way I could get that tranny bolt off.