PDA

View Full Version : Drove the 2008 Smart today...

X5HogTown
10-13-2007, 11:26 PM
Nice car, lots of pep, handled well and had a reasonable amount of room.

Not fond of the semi-automatic gearbox. It felt like it threw out a boat anchor on every manual up-shift. It would be a whole lot more fun with a manual.

Test drive it at the following locations:
Oct 14: Yorkdale
Oct 15/16: Yonge/Dundas Square

http://www.thesmart.ca/index.cfm?id=6870

EMPOWERD
10-14-2007, 12:21 AM
I'm going to Yorkdale tomorrow (after the autoX) to try one. It's open to anyone that wants to try it. I"m curious how it feels compared to mine (that I recently sold).

Understated
10-14-2007, 12:35 AM
There must be insane lineups for test drives no? I was near dundas square today but I didn't see this thing :confused:

X5HogTown
10-14-2007, 12:42 AM
Sherway was packed today but there was no line up at all. I don't think anybody knew it was an open invitation.

Smart's website is crap and the event was not well publicized.

BMW_7
10-15-2007, 01:37 PM
Hah.. I went down there today and they could see right through my 22 year old ass

I can't wait till I grow up :D

trev0006
10-15-2007, 07:55 PM
I want one, but they are going over sticker around here.

slemmer
10-16-2007, 08:33 AM
I don't see the cart bag straps ;-0 When I sat in one of those last year all I could see is how claustrophobic it was inside. I still wonder how safe those things are on the highway. Gotta say they do keep pace on the 401.

BigD
10-16-2007, 11:47 AM
I can't believe they're not bringing the diesel. I emailed Smart about it and they said there are "certification issues". Does anyone know what those are? It can't be emissions, it's a frickin diesel... otherwise the car's the same. I want to get one in about a year's time. If they don't bring a diesel here I'm going to do all I can to import one from Europe.

X5HogTown
10-16-2007, 11:55 AM
This model was completely designed for success in the US market. That means it would fail if it came with a diesel or a true manual tranny. So sad.

EMPOWERD
10-16-2007, 12:01 PM
After driving the new one on Sunday, I can honestly say it's 10x better than my old one (sold it last month). They have really done their homework on it and fixed all the small idiosyncrases that bothered me about the gen-II car. I think it's better with the gas motor now, especially since they're maintaining similar fuel economy as the old CDI model. The new car is larger, smoother, more comfortable, shifts quicker, better settled suspension, easier to work on, and most importantly... CHEAPER (almost $4000-worth after the new Government low emission tax rebate)

X5HogTown
10-16-2007, 12:07 PM
^^^ thanks for the review! this is more meaningful than my 2 minute spin around the block

bmwm5lover
10-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Bleh, stilla smart.

Shock(/\)ave
10-18-2007, 12:35 AM
I still can't figure out why people are so interested in these cars. :confused:

BMW_7
10-18-2007, 12:06 PM
This model was completely designed for success in the US market. That means it would fail if it came with a diesel or a true manual tranny. So sad.

they will HAVE to bring in a manual. If they don't, they will be shooting themselves in the foot.

Boots R
10-18-2007, 12:17 PM
I still can't figure out why people are so interested in these cars. :confused:

Cheap gas, small dimensions, novelty factor, etc.

Quack
10-18-2007, 12:37 PM
they will HAVE to bring in a manual. If they don't, they will be shooting themselves in the foot.

why would they have to bring a manual, they didn't with the previous Smart & still sold all of them, they ran out of Smart cars 1-2 months ago, and the new ones aren't for sale till November, it doesn't look like a problem because people are more afraid of rising gas prices than owning a automatic car.

BMW_7
10-18-2007, 12:47 PM
why would they have to bring a manual, they didn't with the previous Smart & still sold all of them, they ran out of Smart cars 1-2 months ago, and the new ones aren't for sale till November, it doesn't look like a problem because people are more afraid of rising gas prices than owning a automatic car.

No way, thats bullshit! I swear Randy's car was manual!.. ugh

Quack
10-18-2007, 12:51 PM
No way, thats bullshit! I swear Randy's car was manual!.. ugh

they were all semi-auto's and the later ones came with semi-autos /w paddle shifters.

BMW_7
10-18-2007, 12:58 PM
they were all semi-auto's and the later ones came with semi-autos /w paddle shifters.

Well, this is a deal breaker for me. Kinda like finding out a girl that's really cute actually has a dik :(

Now even the Yaris sounds more appealing. What is it, same price, way more space, and it looks pretty damn cool too.

europrince
10-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Yaris? Are you kidding me? I'd certainly do the Smart!

X5HogTown
10-18-2007, 01:38 PM
Unless you're doing high mileage or a whole lot of city driving, I don't see the value in a Smart. I'd rather go with a Nissan Versa, 6m and the bluetooth package. A lot more room and a bit cheaper to boot.

In case you haven't seen it, here's the Smart pricing for 2008.

http://www.mercedes-benz.ca/mbccustom/smart_pricecard_eng.pdf