PDA

View Full Version : Need advice...replacing rear window glass

RobY330i
10-13-2007, 02:40 PM
I'm going to replace my rear window glass since the defrost wires are non functional.

I'm just going to gently remove the molding. (Being careful not to damage it.)
Replace the glass and reinstall the molding.

I don't have any special tools. Just the common variety.

I've never done this before so I'm asking if anyone has any advice they can give me.

Thanks in advance.

FuryriderX
10-13-2007, 04:44 PM
a friend of mine did it without special tools, its not hard. pry out the center clip, pull out the lockstrip (the metalish part in the middle of the window seal) and gently push the window out of the seal.

if the wires are completely non-functional though, could the problem be somewhere else? have you checked for voltage at the back terminals? blown fuses, etc?

BmW1819
10-13-2007, 05:12 PM
i have a tool :) if u wanna wait till i come to smith falls :) if u wanna drive to smith falls ill do it for you :) lol

craz azn
10-13-2007, 10:03 PM
Use a small flat screwdriver. Try to get one with the edges not so sharp or else it will wreck the trim, rubber, and if it is the front window could crack, so be very gentle and careful with the screwdriver. Use some soap or Windex, it will make the rubber much more slippy.

RobY330i
10-14-2007, 09:22 AM
Thanks for your responses.

My mechanic (Kerry) said the problem is with the glass itself since there is current in the rear terminals.

Smith Falls isn't too far but the significant other would balk.

Cheers!

BmW1819
10-14-2007, 01:56 PM
lol :) it's up to you man give me a shoot i did it without the tool before and after that my finger killed and used alot of silcone spray :)