PDA

View Full Version : Importing track only car from US?

dgmorr
10-12-2007, 10:40 AM
Does anyone know what it takes to trailer a car that will never be driven on the streets into Canada? Does it have to go through the entire RIV process? How do race teams go back and forth across the border?

BigD
10-12-2007, 11:07 AM
The importing procedures are described to death in other threads but I'll say this - be very certain that there is no way you can make it street legal. A friend of mine who used to race all over the US and trailered his fully race prepped M3, told me that crossing the border with a car that isn't plated is a big pain in the ass, even if it clearly looks like a racecar.

Soldo
10-12-2007, 11:10 AM
If you are using it strictly for a racecar, and since it won't be street legal, could you import something like a GTO, or a Lancer EVO from the states then?

dgmorr
10-12-2007, 11:19 AM
Maybe I'm not using close enough key words for my search, got any links to a couple threads?

Soldo
10-12-2007, 11:22 AM
Don't know if this might help you or not, since it's dealing with importing a car to register in canada, but maybe this can give you some idea of whats needed. I'm sure a lot of these steps must be done even if your using it as a track only car!

http://www.ottawa-vdubbing.com/forums/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=28735&start=0&sid=c7df4fcf3636965e4ad9edaebb7c4bfe

Boots R
10-12-2007, 11:22 AM
If you are using it strictly for a racecar, and since it won't be street legal, could you import something like a GTO, or a Lancer EVO from the states then?

You can only import those cars if they have a salvage branded title in the US.

Soldo
10-12-2007, 11:25 AM
REALLY? How come, since you won't be using it to drive on the road

dgmorr
10-12-2007, 11:33 AM
Ever hear stories of people buying a Canadian registration/VIN of an identical vehicle just to swap onto a US car and drive it back like it's their car?

Thanks for the link Soldo, but it doesn't quite lead me in the right direction yet. Maybe it's best I just call the border I will be crossing and find out.

Boots R
10-12-2007, 11:37 AM
REALLY? How come, since you won't be using it to drive on the road

http://www.riv.ca/english/html/faq_s.html

Parts Program

A vehicle that is cited as admissible on Transport Canada's List of Admissible Vehicles from the United States maybe voluntarily declared at a Canada Border & Service Agency (CBSA) at time of import. Once a Vehicle's intended use is declared as "disassembly for parts" this status cannot be changed. These vehicles can never be licensed.
A vehicle that is cited as inadmissible on this list must bear a Salvage Certificate of Title to be entered into the Parts Program. Otherwise, the vehicle is deemed inadmissible and cannot enter into Canada as a vehicle or parts.
The Registrar of Imported Vehicles fee for the Parts Program is $86.00 (including GST), in all provinces except Quebec, where the fee is $97.00 CDN (including GST and QST).
It doesn't explain why the rule is in place, but it does state specifically that you cannot bring over an idadmissable car without a salvage title.
Ever hear stories of people buying a Canadian registration/VIN of an identical vehicle just to swap onto a US car and drive it back like it's their car?

Thanks for the link Soldo, but it doesn't quite lead me in the right direction yet. Maybe it's best I just call the border I will be crossing and find out.

Even better than calling the border crossing and being tossed around, contact the Registrar for Imported Vehicles.

Registrar of Imported Vehicles
405 The West Mall
Toronto ON M9C 5K7
1-888-848-8240
info@riv.ca

Soldo
10-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Thanks for that... thats pretty bullshit. I mean it's not like you can register the car in Canada, so if you bring in a car that can't be registered wouldn't it mean that you really only have one use for it..... ****in rules!

dgmorr
10-12-2007, 11:42 AM
I think Parts Program answered my question. Thanks!

PS - does the 15 year rule mean I can just bring the car over and register it like any other car at the MTO?

Vehicles Over 15 years old (except buses)

All vehicles (except buses) that are over 15 years or older by the date of manufacture are exempt from the Registrar of Imported Vehicles program. You must be able to prove the age of the vehicle to a Customs officer.

BigD
10-12-2007, 12:20 PM
Boots: the rule makes perfect sense - if the car is inadmissible, it means they don't want you putting it on the street. So the only way they can let you bring it into the country is if you let them brand it as not roadworthy. The trick that is mentioned in other threads is that you can brand it as Salvage -repairable. This way you can sneak a <15 yr old car in, and when it hits 15 yrs old, you can have it inspected (hence the "repairable" part) and unbranded and registered. Cars branded as parts can never be registered again.

PS - does the 15 year rule mean I can just bring the car over and register it like any other car at the MTO?

Not just, you will usually need to make changes. Again it's laid out in more detail elsewhere but you need to do things like install DRL if applicable (ie that model year in Canada has them), change MPH->KMH etc.

The VIN thing is pretty darned illegal but then no one will ever find out, unless you get a RHD car and claim it as Canadian or something. Those border people aren't very stupid. I've known people in BC who got busted for trying to import an illegal car by shipping it in parts - they imported a Supra chassis, a Supra engine, Supra interior etc... the customs people went hmm... this guy's importing a car. But the VIN trick just depends on your own conscience. You don't even need to swap the VIN in the US. Trailer the car here, brand it as salvage or parts, then find an equivalent Canadian junker car for cheap and swap the VINs.

DriveItSideways
10-12-2007, 05:26 PM
You can import any car ever made, If you want to drive it on the street, it needs to meet all the requirements.

Boots R
10-12-2007, 06:38 PM
You can import any car ever made, If you want to drive it on the street, it needs to meet all the requirements.

I just finished saying you can't import an "inadmissable" car unless it has a salvage title. Not for parts, not for anything. Not legally, anyways.

propr'one
10-12-2007, 08:07 PM
you can have the car be issued a canadian salvage title, even if its clean title in the states
besides i think there's a class for racecars.

BigD
10-12-2007, 11:08 PM
besides i think there's a class for racecars.

To import a car as a race car it must have a letter from the manufacturer stating that it was built for racing. You don't get to say what is and isn't a racecar. If it wasn't built for racing according to the manufacturer and/or it was ever registered on the street, it's a street car, no matter how badly you have bastardized it. Although, I've heard that if you have an international racing license it can help with grey areas.

SamE30e
10-14-2007, 01:50 AM
It still has a title. I guess you can't have a U.S title for a car that you own when you live in Canada. So just get it in your name.

Eurostyle
10-14-2007, 03:18 AM
Damn, all this talk over something so simple; if you are going to use the car for racing, bring it as "parts only", it takes 15 min at the border, (unlike a salvage car) where you have to fax copy of the title days in advance...

collisiontek
10-14-2007, 09:18 AM
You must first have the title faxed to the boarder crossing it is entering Canada Niagra falls , Detriot The USA side 24 hours prior. From experience make it 48 They will not call to confirm make sure a reliable fax is used. Stop at US customs they will need to stamp the title. When you reach Canada claim the vehicle as Flood/Irrepairable Parts only Dont tell them about your dreams for the car just say its for PARTS and you pay some tax I belive you must pay the 200 riv fee even on a parts car you can pay that online. If you want to save alot of hassle I have a guy that does it for me, He has a pound in Buffalo and charges 350 anywhere in the G.T.A and you pay him the taxes he paid out at customs, He does all the paper work as well.

Eurostyle
10-14-2007, 12:44 PM
^^^The faxing papers is a myth! You dont really need it for cars you wont be putting on the road! I found out by experience last time they "lost my fax"...:mad:

Boots R
10-14-2007, 02:17 PM
You must first have the title faxed to the boarder crossing it is entering Canada Niagra falls , Detriot The USA side 24 hours prior. From experience make it 48 They will not call to confirm make sure a reliable fax is used. Stop at US customs they will need to stamp the title. When you reach Canada claim the vehicle as Flood/Irrepairable Parts only Dont tell them about your dreams for the car just say its for PARTS and you pay some tax I belive you must pay the 200 riv fee even on a parts car you can pay that online. If you want to save alot of hassle I have a guy that does it for me, He has a pound in Buffalo and charges 350 anywhere in the G.T.A and you pay him the taxes he paid out at customs, He does all the paper work as well.

Technically, it's supposed to be 72 hours notification. They also prefer the original documents to be fedex'd, but don't mind faxed copies too.