PDA

View Full Version : 84 318i body kit

Zorin
10-11-2007, 09:53 PM
I want to install body kit (front and rear bumper) once my car is done and I want to know what I need to prepare for it. I have original metal bumpers (removed) and I want to go for fiberglass bumpers. Any suggestions regarding the kits, suppliers, installs etc ?

Here is the car in question :-)
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/2831000-2831999/2831989_34_full.jpg

AceOfSpades
10-11-2007, 11:12 PM
M-tech II

Zorin
10-12-2007, 12:56 AM
M-tech II

do you know a good supplier ? what is a price ?

spoony_prelude
10-12-2007, 01:00 AM
hey i think fill front euro style is selling both front and rear reiger bumpers, they look mint, i think hes asking 700 for them, ill post the link if its still for sale

e30_kid89
10-12-2007, 01:04 AM
No, no, no, no, no, no! Do a full Mtech1 kit or the standard euro bumpers. You car will look very clean with those kits along with that restoration.

Eurostyle
10-12-2007, 01:11 AM
Yeah, i had them but for now they are taken, (sale pending)...will know more next week...

The GTS is one of my all time favorit kits, but you need the right setup...(BIG rims, lowering, etc)...

Zorin
10-12-2007, 01:25 AM
Thanks for ideas.

How about the fiberglass bumpers on ebay ? Any ideas ?
I understand that they are just shells. Do they have to be mounted over existing bumpers or they come with hardware ?

I was thinking of going with evo front and back with ix side skirts with fender flares.

e30_kid89
10-12-2007, 12:11 PM
No, no, no, no, no, no! Do a full Mtech1 kit or the standard euro bumpers. You car will look very clean with those kits along with that restoration.

Think About those options.

Thanks for ideas.

How about the fiberglass bumpers on ebay

No Ebay bumpers!!!!*no-no*

Do you want your long hard project to turn out like this?

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/new2bmw/dinan%20turbo%20manifold/100_3160.jpg

Yeah, thats what i thought:D

Zorin
10-12-2007, 01:50 PM
Think About those options.

No Ebay bumpers!!!!*no-no*

Do you want your long hard project to turn out like this?

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i145/new2bmw/dinan%20turbo%20manifold/100_3160.jpg

Yeah, thats what i thought:D

I will probably modify the metal bumpers with new shocks and do some custom sheet metal valances underneath.

new2bmw
10-13-2007, 12:46 AM
Shit that would be hard to handle, a clean, freshly painted 318i with a bodykit and more work done on it then a lot of the cars here.

craz azn
10-13-2007, 01:49 AM
^^ Umm buddy. e30_kid sure knows what the **** goes into putting an e30 together. Hes done it, and its end result was far greater than a automatic m10 318i with a saggy bodykit.

A lot of the cars on here eh? Again, buddy, you have no idea whos put together what from where. My car for example was a mere EMPTY shell when I got it two years ago. And it has become one of the fastest and cleanest looking cars on this board. (Key word, ONE of, ahem* NickP :P) I'm sure there are more project cars on here (NickP, Axxe, Chrome, Zimmie, Slowered etc etc) but I am not going to dwell on it for you.

Hard work ruined by a bad decision on your part. In no way is that our fault. When the opposition towards you is nearly 95%, I think you may have done something wrong. And that 'its unique' excuse is lame. Heard it from too many people with immensely different cars. Get with the times and the fashion.

/rant

I was thinking of going with evo front and back with ix side skirts with fender flares.

Now to help the OP. Again I will say, iX flares will not fit the pre-facelift e30s perfectly. If you want a good, show quality e30, I suggest against it, or it will end up looking like just another 318 with a saggy bodykit lol. What are 'evo bumpers'?? If you meant M3 bumpers, they are a touch too wide, and again, will not fit 100% either.

Best would be like what was mentioned before. Euro bumpers, and go from there.

e30_kid89
10-13-2007, 01:54 AM
Hey, hey bud no need to get emotional over some opinions stated over the intrawebz. At the end of the day you still have your "Different" E30 and I still have my opinion. Everybody wins. I must be an asshole towards that kit becuase it sucks.*wave* Sorry its not what you wanna hear. But hey your car do what you want but like you've been told on R3V get ready to get flamed if guys think your car is teh suck.:) Like me*th-up*

Edit: Craz_azn basically summed up what i wanted to say.

new2bmw
10-13-2007, 02:07 AM
hey e30 kid my bad. i dont usually go around insulting guys i dont know. like you said its just comments on the internet. sorry about that. and craz azn i didnt do anything wrong. in the real world where not every single person drives an e30 unlike here, people are loving the car, i dont ask for their comments or opinions, but people do like it. 95% of e30 owners are not the majority of the people you see everyday so that means shit. And i never said that there wasn't cars that have had just as much work if not more then mine done to them.

Eurostyle
10-13-2007, 03:21 AM
^^^IMO if you go back to metal bumpers, pushed in, with a valence and painted trim, and properly install the sides like they are suposed to sit (like that car), it will be MUCH better and not even cost you $$$$....

BmW1819
10-13-2007, 03:21 AM
:) what ever floats your boat
at least people who don't no bmw's will like it :)

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95495
metal bumpers don't look so bad with a eurostyle rep m tech 2 on the front and lowerd :)

Zorin
10-13-2007, 03:41 AM
Now to help the OP. Again I will say, iX flares will not fit the pre-facelift e30s perfectly. If you want a good, show quality e30, I suggest against it, or it will end up looking like just another 318 with a saggy bodykit lol. What are 'evo bumpers'?? If you meant M3 bumpers, they are a touch too wide, and again, will not fit 100% either.

Best would be like what was mentioned before. Euro bumpers, and go from there.

Thanks for input.

The body panels of pre-88 and post-88 are identical with exception of bumpers, door trims and bumper valances, then how would IX flares not fit ?
They test fitted them and they fit perfect - only rockers need to modified.
By evo bumpers, I mean M3 sport evolution - again why would they not fit ?
I agree that M3 body is different, but not that different.

Eurostyle
10-13-2007, 03:54 AM
Thanks for input.

The body panels of pre-88 and post-88 are identical with exception of bumpers, door trims and bumper valances, then how would IX flares not fit ?
They test fitted them and they fit perfect - only rockers need to modified.
By evo bumpers, I mean M3 sport evolution - again why would they not fit ?
I agree that M3 body is different, but not that different.

You need to check into it some more! The 84-87 has a much higher rear wheel arche, that many not be noticable right away, but will be as soon as you try fitting 88-91 bumpers or body kit, you get a BIG 2" gap...

The M3 is much wider then a stock E30, so installing M3 bumpers does need quite a bit of work. Trust me, i had them on my 4 door 10 years ago!*th-up*

Zorin
10-13-2007, 04:08 AM
You need to check into it some more! The 84-87 has a much higher rear wheel arche, that many not be noticable right away, but will be as soon as you try fitting 88-91 bumpers or body kit, you get a BIG 2" gap...
I know that fitting them will require work, but I got far enough with it not to give up and yes, the rear flares will need some work but overall it can be done.

The M3 is much wider then a stock E30, so installing M3 bumpers does need quite a bit of work. Trust me, i had them on my 4 door 10 years ago!*th-up*
I know that and I am trying to stay away from fiberglass so I will probably do something myself from sheet metal.

Eurostyle
10-13-2007, 04:21 AM
You seem to know a lot for someone who just said "The body panels of pre-88 and post-88 are identical with exception of bumpers, door trims and bumper valances"...:rolleyes:

Zorin
10-13-2007, 04:26 AM
You seem to know a lot for someone who just said "The body panels of pre-88 and post-88 are identical with exception of bumpers, door trims and bumper valances"...:rolleyes:

Yes, I do know a lot :)
What I am trying to say from the beginning is that even it is said that IX kit will not fit directly, it will fit if you modify the rear flares, period. :cool:

Eurostyle
10-13-2007, 04:33 AM
Yeah, with enaugh modifications you can make ANYTHING fit on any car! You can put a V12, or have a 900HP monster, and even 19" rims...lambo doors, chopped roof, the posibilitys are endless, its all a matter of doing it...

Zorin
10-13-2007, 04:36 AM
Yeah, with enaugh modifications you can make ANYTHING fit on any car! You can put a V12, or have a 900HP monster, and even 19" rims...lambo doors, chopped roof, the posibilitys are endless, its all a matter of doing it...

Exactly, but I wouldn't go as far as V12 e30, but there is one :)

Eurostyle
10-13-2007, 04:40 AM
More then one! I wish i did it to mine when i had a good shell...now it has to go in an E36...

Zorin
10-13-2007, 04:45 AM
More then one! I wish i did it to mine when i had a good shell...now it has to go in an E36...

I seen the black one in Germany with V12 logo on the trunk.
I was wondering how driveable the car really is with that power/weight ratio.

craz azn
10-14-2007, 01:18 AM

As Eurostyle suggested, you need to do a bit of research on the e30 a bit more throughly. Here are just some of the exterior differences:

Pre '87 bodys have - Small front valance, chrome door trims, chrome window trims, big metal bumpers, higher rear wheel arches, small taillights, no rear valance.

'88 bodys have - Tall/late style front valance, Black door trims, chrome/black window trim, small metal bumper SPECIFIC only to the 88, Lower/later style rear wheel arches, Big ugly taillights, and the elusive rear valance.

Post '88 bodys - Are Identical to the 88s, except for different Bumpers (plastic) and bumper shocks.

The 325iX never came to N/A until 1988, which then the e30s of that time were already the later style body (lower arches, big tail lights). Which is why the flares will not fit your car 100%. The radius of the fenders are different. Thats why you say the rockers don't line up.

The M3 has an entirely different exterior from the regular e30 (excluding the hood and sunroof) Obviously, with the bigger widebody kit (ie fenders) the car is a slight bit fatter. And the bumpers are slightly wider too. Hence the not fitting 100% part. :idea:

Zorin
10-14-2007, 10:17 AM
As Eurostyle suggested, you need to do a bit of research on the e30 a bit more throughly. Here are just some of the exterior differences:

Pre '87 bodys have - Small front valance, chrome door trims, chrome window trims, big metal bumpers, higher rear wheel arches, small taillights, no rear valance.

'88 bodys have - Tall/late style front valance, Black door trims, chrome/black window trim, small metal bumper SPECIFIC only to the 88, Lower/later style rear wheel arches, Big ugly taillights, and the elusive rear valance.

Post '88 bodys - Are Identical to the 88s, except for different Bumpers (plastic) and bumper shocks.

The 325iX never came to N/A until 1988, which then the e30s of that time were already the later style body (lower arches, big tail lights). Which is why the flares will not fit your car 100%. The radius of the fenders are different. Thats why you say the rockers don't line up.

The M3 has an entirely different exterior from the regular e30 (excluding the hood and sunroof) Obviously, with the bigger widebody kit (ie fenders) the car is a slight bit fatter. And the bumpers are slightly wider too. Hence the not fitting 100% part. :idea:

E30 was produced from September of 1982 to February of 1994 (last 3 years were only touring models - 316i and 324td). According to the repair book by Etzold the body remained unchanged other than cosmetic changes e.g. bumpers. According to the Etzold, there is no difference between models and there is no pre-88 or post-88 e30, but just e30 making all parts interchangeable. The euro bumpers are really regular bumpers and replaced metal bumpers which on euro models were tacked it unlike the 5mph American bumpers.

Also, I never said that the rockers don't line because they do in my case.
I also never said that M3 is identical to regular 3 series.

My main question was about body kits and not about production line differences :-)

craz azn
10-15-2007, 12:07 AM
Hmm. Okay. Good attempt I'll admit. One correction I should say, I am refering to North American offered models. ie no nice sexy sleek chrome bumpers for us, or tourings, or diesels or whatever.

there is no difference between models and there is no pre-88 or post-88 e30,

One point which is incorrect with your cut and paste is this. Tell me why your taillights on your 84 318i will NOT fit my 88 325iS. And tell me why if you take the rear bumper off my car for your 318, why does it stick nearly an inch past the end of your fender?

I also never said that M3 is identical to regular 3 series.

Then why would you be so surprised that the M3 bumpers do not fit a regular e30? Obviously you know they are different, and WHY they are different (ie widebody). Kind of a dumb question you asked before as to why it won't fit, no?

My main question was about body kits and not about production line differences

Absolutely. But you need to realize what bumpers, skirts, etc come on what before randomly throwing them on cars they may not fit. Hence why Eurostyle and myself are trying to help you out to make you see the differences because we have obviously gone through the same problems and hurdles before. Just trying to save you some time and money. All the power to you sir. Good luck

PS. no saggy bodykits please. *th-up*

Zorin
10-15-2007, 08:51 AM
Hmm. Okay. Good attempt I'll admit. One correction I should say, I am refering to North American offered models. ie no nice sexy sleek chrome bumpers for us, or tourings, or diesels or whatever.
Yes, agree only "extended" bumpers.

One point which is incorrect with your cut and paste is this. Tell me why your taillights on your 84 318i will NOT fit my 88 325iS. And tell me why if you take the rear bumper off my car for your 318, why does it stick nearly an inch past the end of your fender?

I didn't copy and paste as I have the book in paper form and not a PDF.
Rear lights fit if you use the insert between and change the connectors.
The bumper fit if you use european bumper shocks.

Then why would you be so surprised that the M3 bumpers do not fit a regular e30? Obviously you know they are different, and WHY they are different (ie widebody). Kind of a dumb question you asked before as to why it won't fit, no?

I was not suprised at all and I didn't ask why they don't fit - you got wrong person.

Absolutely. But you need to realize what bumpers, skirts, etc come on what before randomly throwing them on cars they may not fit. Hence why Eurostyle and myself are trying to help you out to make you see the differences because we have obviously gone through the same problems and hurdles before. Just trying to save you some time and money. All the power to you sir. Good luck

Thank you and I also pointed out the differences as listed by Etzvold, which has more experience than all of us put together.

PS. no saggy bodykits please. *th-up*
;)

BMW BMXer
10-15-2007, 12:42 PM

Insert? Pics? I don't see how this is possible?

Anywhoodles. Find a BBS kit and throw that on, they are pretty rare and different.

Or Straighten out a BMP kit somehow.

SamE30e
10-15-2007, 12:47 PM
Diving boards ftw

Eurostyle
10-15-2007, 01:08 PM

;)

I dont know where you do your reading, but you got the fact all wrong;
To fit the lights you need MAJOR metal body work (yes, possible, some people have done it!), not just insert (WFT?) and connectors.

The bumpers will not fit properly, no matter what shocks you use, even if you dont use ANY shock, it does not line up, end of story!