PDA

View Full Version : turboing my 2.7I with heavy cam

jamison67
10-11-2007, 06:03 PM
i have a 88 e bottom with the I head and drivin it for the summer but now i want more power ive been think of turbo so my question is ,can it be done with this setup the i have ,do you now anyone that can do it and how much ,and what will mt gains be

if anyone can help me out with that it would be great

86coupe30
10-12-2007, 12:02 AM
i was thinking of doing an i head swap
how much do you think all the parts i need would cost like the head cluster computer and all the odds and ends..? kinda curious. how much faster is it?

SamE30e
10-12-2007, 12:20 AM
Just the I head swap doesn't really boast any gains. Yea its a better flowing head and rev's higher but it lowers the compression a good amount. I think the main point of it, is lowering the compression for forced induction.

spoony_prelude
10-12-2007, 01:03 AM
i was thinking of doing an i head swap
how much do you think all the parts i need would cost like the head cluster computer and all the odds and ends..? kinda curious. how much faster is it?

when i had my 86 325e, i called europa, for an opinion and quote, regarding an i head, and well with a shrick 286 cam, youll get about 40 more hp, and labour he wanted like 1200 with me supplying all the parts!!! so if your looking for more power, your better off just doing a motor swap, a nice m30 will give you a factory 300lbs of torque and about 240hp, and itl prob cost u like 3gs, for motor plus install at say bimmersport.

Aveman
10-12-2007, 06:18 PM
Just the I head swap doesn't really boast any gains. Yea its a better flowing head and rev's higher but it lowers the compression a good amount. I think the main point of it, is lowering the compression for forced induction.

I have a I head on a ETA bottom end, I did this because I'm going turbo. It has a 524TD forged crank with ETA rods and pistons. Even though the compression is lower it's still light years faster than it was as a ETA motor.
My buddy had a 325i and he drove my car and says my car feels faster.

As for cost, I'll break down what it cost me. I'm running it on megasquirt.

I head $300 USD
I intake manifold with throttle body and injectors etc $50 USD
Megasquirt $400 CAD
Head gasket kit $100 CAD.

I rebuilt my motor from the ground up so there is additional costs but to just slap it togehter yourself on your existing ETA block you should be able to do it for around 1G. If you can find a 325I harness and ECU you can probably do it even cheaper. I put in a 3.73 LSD, so that might raise the bill a couple hundred. It was kind of fun running out first gear with the 2.79 rear end up 7K rpm but every onther gear was useless. You could go 130+ in second gear.

I got to get a dyno run in.

jamison67
10-12-2007, 06:37 PM
thats funny how he says that its not worth it ,u get the i head with e botton biger injectors with a power boost valve nice exhaust and dont forget the heavy cam , and that car will haul ass ,that what i did to mine i also lighten the crank and flywheel and i dynoed mine at 207 at the wheel with 210 torqe and ive beaten vr6 ,the rx8 and a new gt mustanso for someone to say itnot worth it dosnt now what there talking about and i dont now where u got 300 pounds of torque out of a m30 ,there not even that much faster then the m20 mabay 20 horse , those motors are really good for turbo u can run a lot of boost on them

e30_kid89
10-12-2007, 07:39 PM
nice m30 will give you a factory 300lbs of torque and about 240hp.

No it won't.:D

86coupe30
10-12-2007, 08:08 PM
lol i knew 2.7I was the way to go i dont want a stupid turbo i just want a peppier 2.7I with a bunch more balls then an E i just want a reliable N/A car
i dont need no turbs. im not rich

craz azn
10-12-2007, 11:17 PM
thats funny how he says that its not worth it ,u get the i head with e botton biger injectors with a power boost valve nice exhaust and dont forget the heavy cam , and that car will haul ass ,that what i did to mine i also lighten the crank and flywheel and i dynoed mine at 207 at the wheel with 210 torqe and ive beaten vr6 ,the rx8 and a new gt mustanso for someone to say itnot worth it dosnt now what there talking about and i dont now where u got 300 pounds of torque out of a m30 ,there not even that much faster then the m20 mabay 20 horse , those motors are really good for turbo u can run a lot of boost on them

WTF? Your car has nearly 210 to the REAR WHEELS??????? Please post what you have done to your car. Oh BTW, WTH is a 'power boost valve'??

Next time use spell-check :D

90E30i
10-13-2007, 12:49 AM
that what i did to mine i also lighten the crank and flywheel and i dynoed mine at 207 at the wheel with 210 torqe and

A friend of mine did a 3liter swap in his contour. It had 3liter bottom end 2.5 heads and cams, SVT intake manifold, which is extrude honned and mustang TB and with a compression of around 10:1 he put down 201 whp.BTW that's a 24valve 4cam motor.

On an m20 with IE's 2.8 liter stroker kit and head work and cam, you'd still end up around 200whp at best

so that being said, I think you are full of s%*t if you'r claiming you made 207whp.*mumble*

Aveman
10-13-2007, 01:06 AM
A friend of mine did a 3liter swap in his contour. It had 3liter bottom end 2.5 heads and cams, SVT intake manifold, which is extrude honned and mustang TB and with a compression of around 10:1 he put down 201 whp.BTW that's a 24valve 4cam motor.

On an m20 with IE's 2.8 liter stroker kit and head work and cam, you'd still end up around 200whp at best

so that being said, I think you are full of s%*t if you'r claiming you made 207whp.*mumble*

LOFL

Yeah sorry dude, that deserves a :rolleyes: unless you can post up a dyno graph and list what you have done.

84-87 etas come with different pistons. The compression ratio is dropped to around 8.4:1 when using these pistons.

You have a 88 eta so that makes it a super eta, the pistons in your bottom end are designed to work with a I head, so your compression is not low although probably not ideal for turboing. I'd expect my car to put down around 150 WHP. Which is still a good bang for your buck.

jamison67
10-13-2007, 04:24 PM
heres whats done
88 e bottom
i head port and polished
shrick 288 cam with a valve job
lightend crank ,flywheel
long headers
complete custom magnaflow exhaust
power boost valve
2.7i chip with a little fin tuning
19lbs injectors
410 diff
big bore throttle body
complete m30 air intake with k&n filter

ok there 90e301 u just sound like one of those guys thats dosnt now what there talking about so sometimes it best to keep your mouth shut ok there newbie

90E30i
10-13-2007, 04:58 PM
ok there 90e301 u just sound like one of those guys thats dosnt now what there talking about so sometimes it best to keep your mouth shut ok there newbie

ENGINE MODS

Ireland Engineering 3.0L stroker Kit w/ Forged Cosworth 3.0L crank & Forged Ross Racing Pistons 9.8:1

Schrick 272/272 cam

Carbon Fibre barrel type shielded cone air filter (similar to BMC)

E36 328i MAF

Custom aluminum elbow

Ed Mazula Big Bore Throttle Body

Mild ported head

IE larger injectors

Stainless steel headers

Racing Dynamics rear silencer

DYNO SHEETS

90E30i
10-13-2007, 05:02 PM
Unless you have a dyno # to show don't be farting #s out of your ass.

BTW
Do some research before you tell me what I know and what I don't know:moon:

LEGEND
10-13-2007, 08:35 PM
OWNED, dyno your car to back those number up :idea:

Aveman
10-13-2007, 09:19 PM
ENGINE MODS

Ireland Engineering 3.0L stroker Kit w/ Forged Cosworth 3.0L crank & Forged Ross Racing Pistons 9.8:1

Schrick 272/272 cam

Carbon Fibre barrel type shielded cone air filter (similar to BMC)

E36 328i MAF

Custom aluminum elbow

Ed Mazula Big Bore Throttle Body

Mild ported head

IE larger injectors

Stainless steel headers

Racing Dynamics rear silencer

DYNO SHEETS

Ok buddy there clearly is no "POWER BOOOOOOOOST VALVE" so how could you exect it to compare :huh?:

craz azn
10-13-2007, 10:01 PM
lol