PDA

View Full Version : Touchless Car Wash

dbworld4k
10-09-2007, 09:52 PM
Do any of you guys on dropped Bimmers go to the gas station touchless automated car washes during the winter? I used to go last winter, but that was before my drop. Methinks if I tried it now it would be a disaster :(

spoony_prelude
10-09-2007, 09:56 PM
dont!!! i tried going last winter with my slammed e30, and i had a buddy get out of the car to tell me if i would make it, well he was a huge retard and told me id make it no prob, so there i went, and ran my lower control arm right into that big guiding bar they use!!!
screw it, now i use the one that u wash it yourself, come out better anyways
jay

NateoriouS
10-09-2007, 10:19 PM
^^ touchless car washes don't have guiding rails... *uzi* :D

mpower1226
10-09-2007, 10:24 PM
Touch less do sometimes have guide rails. These are what used to be 'soft cloth' wash that is now converted to touchless.

However, the newly built true touch less car washes like shell on hwy7 or esso by the edward garden or esso by the donmills and eglinton

do not have any sort of guide rails. Just drive in and drive out.

pre e36 owners should watch out tho, as early e36 suffered from plugged drain hole problem and have good chances of dumping the water on to the ecu compartment. Then byebye. *thmbsdwn*

Boots R
10-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Anuk, go to the esso at Heart Lake rd and Sandalwood. No guide rails.

shimajer
10-09-2007, 10:43 PM
no guide rails are amazing..

but then again, your car has better not be too dirty, because the touchless wont be able to wash eveyrtihng off.

i love the touchless, drive as slow as you want when you get to the dryer!

the rails are scary man

azn_oo1
10-09-2007, 10:46 PM
kinda off topic.. but i noticed when i go through these car washes water leaks from the sunroof. is there anyway to fix this??? (is this a cmon problem)

dbworld4k
10-09-2007, 10:46 PM
I didn't even know there were automated car washes without guard rails!
Anuk, go to the esso at Heart Lake rd and Sandalwood. No guide rails.

WICKED! That one is right on my trip to and fro school :D I've found my weekly winter wash station, now I need to start gathering some Esso points LOL! :D Last winter I used to go 1-2 times per week to clean the underbody and get most of the crap off the body @ the Shell on Great Lakes and Bovaird.

mpower1226
10-09-2007, 10:47 PM
kinda off topic.. but i noticed when i go through these car washes water leaks from the sunroof. is there anyway to fix this??? (is this a cmon problem)

The weather strip might need replace, or the drinhole on the sunroof and in the a pillar might be plugged.

spoony_prelude
10-09-2007, 11:11 PM
im affraid of taking my cabby to those touchless car washes, wont that type of pressure ruin a convertible top? besides im cheap, i have my car spotless for 4 bucks, i have to maunally dry it though, but it comes out way better then the 8-10 bucks paid for the touchless!!!

dbworld4k
10-09-2007, 11:21 PM
True, those drive in do-it-yourself washes are good (Don't use their brush though!) but they don't exactly work too well for cleaning the underbody during the winter. The body can be taken care of easily, getting that crap off your car's exposed metal underside is the bigger concern.

shimajer
10-09-2007, 11:22 PM
not really, i always spend around 6 bucks for self serves.. then you have to buy / bring your own equipment.. why not just fill up some gas and go with touchless? but if your car is covered with mud, forget it. DIY is the way to go.

convertible eh? wash it without the top LOLL

spoony_prelude
10-09-2007, 11:27 PM
lol, i never use the brush, honestly, i just spray it down with soap, and then rinse it off, almost always gets any dirt on the car (mostly dust, @#$#% black cars!) then i just dry it down with some clean rags i keep in the trunk, as for under the car, its not too hard, just bend over a lil and shoot where ever u wanna clean, if im really quick i can manage 2 bucks for soap and rinse, but usually 4 bucks does the trick. oh and i almost never wash the top, it never really gets dirty, either that or i just dont notice it, lol

shimajer
10-09-2007, 11:44 PM
this place does it for 8 bucks on finch/ keele

theres a rail though, then they hand dry for you. its pretty cheap.

denisemichel
10-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Esso has pretty nice car wash stations, just drive indoor and drive out.

kamus
10-10-2007, 08:59 AM
drive as slow as you want when you get to the dryer!

Not sure about that. In my E30 the roof panel flexes under the pressure of the dryer. (I can clearly hear sheet metal flexing) I often ask the Esso guy to shut off the dryers when i go thru. Anyone else have this problem?

VSanj
10-10-2007, 09:29 AM
Best touchless wash is the Sunoco...............no rails baby! Plus they do a way better job than esso.

Mike Lowry says that there is one at Mclaughlin and Bovaird!

carjoe
10-10-2007, 10:28 AM
Never been for fear that I'd get stranded...

Yay for E36!

JMW
10-10-2007, 03:07 PM
lmfao i went through a rail touchless car wash and they scratched my rare ass monoblocks rims hahahah
this was a while ago..but ye..don do it...oh..and it ripped my front lip cause my car was to low

the ones that u drive in and drive out ureself are fine

propr'one
10-10-2007, 03:10 PM
^^but the chemicals are too harsh.

find a friend with a condo with a wash bay
*paging all friends who live in condos:P*

shimajer
10-10-2007, 03:44 PM
theres a washing bay in my condo. we can have a meet theree. but i dont have any equipments =P

Gleb
10-10-2007, 06:07 PM
Not sure about that. In my E30 the roof panel flexes under the pressure of the dryer. (I can clearly hear sheet metal flexing) I often ask the Esso guy to shut off the dryers when i go thru. Anyone else have this problem?

I have the same problem, but nothing is bent or broken so far...
Most of the time I take it to a hand wash place anyway, for about $25 they make it spotless inside and out and my car is stored during no track months anyway, I just take it out once a month on a dry day for a highway run. After that it gets a good wash and back to storage.

Bartacus
10-11-2007, 03:02 PM
I use Essos touchless washes all the time, ever since I bought my baby. Usually once every 2 weeks or so, sometimes more in winter. I don't find em harsh at all. But then again, I'm silver, and have been through 2 different body kits so far, so maybe with all that repainting, I just don't notice. :) What the **** else are ya supposed to do with a bajillion Esso Extra points?

Bart

ZHP_Bimmer05
10-11-2007, 10:21 PM
The Sunoco gas station u actually have to drive through it urself

craigIS
10-12-2007, 02:42 PM
dont use touchless car washes!!! they dont get the grease and grime off from the winter driving! your better off going to a self serve car wash

Understated
10-12-2007, 06:16 PM
Touchless @ hwy 427/hwy 7 exit ftw...10 bucks a wash in the winter time...no rails no bs :)

STALKER
10-12-2007, 06:27 PM
Touchless is OK, but it does not get all the sh$t off the car. In the winter, I find the best place to get them done is at various underground garages, most larger corporate buildings have a detailer in them. Its $25 for a hand wash normally.
I think Square One has a detailer too, but not sure if they are any good.

trev0006
10-12-2007, 06:35 PM
I don't like those kind of car washes anyway.