PDA

View Full Version : I sware to whatever!

SamE30e
10-09-2007, 07:21 PM
I am going to drop kick my car. I started the process of removing the clutch. Lets just say 21 year old exhaust bolts are bitches!
Does anyone know how I should go about removing the exhaust from the manifold, or should I just remove the manifolds themselves, drop them down then undo the bolts?

86coupe30
10-09-2007, 07:33 PM
if you cant get them inplace chances are you wont when its dropped down. just zip cut the head off the bolt and put new ones on. and or get new exhaust stuff cause if those are rusty, your exhaust is probably in need of fixing aswell...

SamE30e
10-09-2007, 07:48 PM
It's fine, its just getting to them, I've got 3 of the 6. It's just a PITA and I know it's possible. The exhaust isn't rusty until it gets to the over the axle part because it has been replaced, so i'd prefer not to cut it or anything.

86coupe30
10-09-2007, 07:50 PM
oh i see. good luck with it then

klm325ix
10-09-2007, 07:56 PM
i removed my exhaust manifold. was lucky enough to remove it from the head. however, when i went to put it back the left flange cracked completely. had to get it welded. if you are careful, you could get away with removing the whole manifold and then taking it apart from the exhaust. good luck with it.

dgmorr
10-09-2007, 09:24 PM
invest in a cheap oxy/acety torch, it'll make a 4 hour job turn to 20 minutes.

BigD
10-09-2007, 09:36 PM
Just in case you're following the Bentley to a tee and haven't done this before - REMOVE THE STARTER OR YOU WON'T BE ABLE TO GET THE TRANSMISSION OFF!!! I did my first E30 clutch in the underground of an apartment building with no light - took me 5 fuggen hours to figure this one out, and it's not in the instructions anywhere.

SamE30e
10-09-2007, 10:49 PM
I'm using the bently in my head... haha

Arash
10-09-2007, 11:29 PM
Put nevercease grease on everything when putting it back together! I just did a manifold job today, exhaust bolts are always a PITA

SamE30e
10-09-2007, 11:56 PM
I got them off, they came off fairly easy, it was just getting to them by myself. The head was rebuilt 2 years ago, so they wern't on there long. I got them off, the exhaust out, and heat sheilds off. Now how do you get the drive shaft off, I have it all unbolted from the transmission end and the centre support bearing off but the yoke won't pull down far enough to pull the half out.

Trekz
10-10-2007, 12:36 AM
what i did when i was swaping my engine with the tranny on, is loosen up engine mounts and tranny mounts and let the tranny hang down

BigD
10-10-2007, 09:02 AM
Yeah tilt the engine back as far as it'll go (jack it up by the front of the pan carefully), loosen the collar on the driveshaft, collapse it fully, and it'll pop right out. The transmission angle will allow you to have a bend in the driveshaft, which effectively shortens it a bit more, also letting you pull a bit down, not just back.

e30_kid89
10-10-2007, 09:32 AM
Maybe the exhuast is not an issue since its single pipe but if you lower your exhaust a bit it helps the driveshaft collapse as well.

SamE30e
10-10-2007, 10:55 AM
The exhaust is off. so do I just undo the tranny subframe and drop it down?

E30M42cab
10-10-2007, 06:17 PM
yup, just take the whole tranny mount cross member off.

SamE30e
10-10-2007, 11:25 PM
Well I got the driveshaft out, it was pretty easy. Apparently just pulling on it doesn't do much. I undid that nut by the CSB. I had to pry it out from the tranny with a little bit of force then it popped right out. Next problem... The starter, I have everything off but one bolt, the top one. Any hints on how to get it off? Or can I get the tranny out with the starter on, because if so it's ready to come out.

Side note: I got my 325is spoiler.. BALLLIINNNN it's going to look badass, needs a sanding and some pizzainttt! 4dr + trunk spoiler = baller status

BigD
10-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Or can I get the tranny out with the starter on, because if so it's ready to come out.

I swear I saw someone post something about that in this thread...

Get all of the tranny bolts out, then you can rotate the transmission counter clockwise, and the upper starter bolt will be easy to reach. Put it back on the same way.

By the way, remember how the starter wires hook up. Better yet, take a pic. The solenoid signal spigot is NOT the obvious top one, it's the bottom one. I think the top one is only there to **** with people like me.

SamE30e
10-11-2007, 11:11 AM
Yea, I saw someone post with that, but I wasn't too sure. All I have is the starter then the 1 bolt on the shifter. The next thing is, the bolts, are they some special ass bolt that I need a special socket for? They look like 6 point.

BigD
10-11-2007, 11:28 AM
Yea, I saw someone post with that, but I wasn't too sure. All I have is the starter then the 1 bolt on the shifter. The next thing is, the bolts, are they some special ass bolt that I need a special socket for? They look like 6 point.

They're torx. A regular hex socket works perfectly fine.

SamE30e
10-11-2007, 12:05 PM
Really? That's weird. Am I going to need a giant extention to get to the ones at the top of the tranny?

Little side note: I was reading the factory service manual online about removing the starter. It say's "Remove the starter bolts and remove starter". I thought in my head, oh it's just easy like that eh, it took me 2 hours to get one bolt out because I have gigantic hands.

BigD
10-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Really? That's weird. Am I going to need a giant extention to get to the ones at the top of the tranny?

Little side note: I was reading the factory service manual online about removing the starter. It say's "Remove the starter bolts and remove starter". I thought in my head, oh it's just easy like that eh, it took me 2 hours to get one bolt out because I have gigantic hands.

Yeah, one or two giant extensions and a U joint. Then pin the tail on the donkey.

And there are tons of procedures like that. A lot of E30 DIYers will know this one: "Disconnect parking brake cable."

SamE30e
10-11-2007, 01:00 PM
haha, you should have seen how I got the exhaust pipes off at the manifold off. 3 extensions, swivel head, deep socket, tape zip ties. I didn't have anyone to hold the socket in place till i got under the car lol. my brother helped me eventually lol.

BigD
10-11-2007, 01:10 PM
haha, you should have seen how I got the exhaust pipes off at the manifold off. 3 extensions, swivel head, deep socket, tape zip ties. I didn't have anyone to hold the socket in place till i got under the car lol. my brother helped me eventually lol.

Just wait until you have to remove the starter with the transmission bolted in place, or change the clutch line. Do yourself a favor, when you have the starter off, tackweld the nuts onto the back of it.

SamE30e
10-11-2007, 01:56 PM
Yea, that was my problem yesterday. I may get my buddy to bring his welder over and do it for me. Anyways, i'm going to go pull the rest of the little things off and and put my spoiler on then wait till my brother gets home so I don't get crushed by my transmission.

BigD
10-11-2007, 02:33 PM
After you get it off, you should also take the flywheel to a machine shop to get cleaned up. And whilte it's off, replace the rear main seal.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/techarticles/E36-Clutch_Replace/E36-Clutch_Replace.htm

e30_kid89
10-11-2007, 02:36 PM
^^^^I was under the impression you couldn't really re-surface a dual-mass flywheel. Ne whos you have a sorta unrelated PM BigD.

BigD
10-11-2007, 02:44 PM
^^^^I was under the impression you couldn't really re-surface a dual-mass flywheel. Ne whos you have a sorta unrelated PM BigD.

I'd trust a machine shop on that one... it's hopefully not so worn down that you can't machine it. I'm only talking a little bit.

And, replied.

SamE30e
10-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Ok, starter is off... Actually EVERYTHING IS OFF even all the bolts... except the one on the top left where the starter is. My brother and I tried for like a good hour and a half and can't even get the socket on. We had 3 extentions and a u-joint. I've got no idea, any input is good, once this comes off I can get the tranny out.

Edit: The tranny is dropping and the intake manifold is resting on the firewall to give you and idea of whats going on. How do you get the shift linkage off?

e30_kid89
10-12-2007, 12:08 AM
Not really sure about the early model "sheet metal" style shift carriers but if you take a good hard look @ the top of the trans you'll figure it out.

Lol I know I'm no help.*sleep*

BigD
10-12-2007, 12:15 AM
Ok, starter is off... Actually EVERYTHING IS OFF even all the bolts... except the one on the top left where the starter is. My brother and I tried for like a good hour and a half and can't even get the socket on. We had 3 extentions and a u-joint. I've got no idea, any input is good, once this comes off I can get the tranny out. ?

Try harder/get longer extensions... you're really on your own here.

Edit: The tranny is dropping and the intake manifold is resting on the firewall to give you and idea of whats going on. How do you get the shift linkage off?

You don't need to get the shift linkage off, keep it on, just undo it from the support in the back.

SamE30e
10-12-2007, 11:43 AM
Yea, I'm going to have to get creative I think.

SamE30e
10-12-2007, 12:16 PM
Update

Got the spoiler on. Looks pretty ballin

http://i20.tinypic.com/2iroihf.jpg

http://i24.tinypic.com/2ywxsm1.jpg

SamE30e
10-14-2007, 08:51 PM
Update:

Upper 6 point transmission bolt: 1
Sam: 0
R.I.P 3/8 socket.

I got the socket and extentions on, but I broke a socket wrench, that sucker is on there good. I need a 3/8 to 1/2 extensiion so I can use a breaker bar. Then literally the transmission will fall off and I can get the clutch out.

e30_kid89
10-14-2007, 11:20 PM
Update

Got the spoiler on. Looks pretty ballin

http://i20.tinypic.com/2iroihf.jpg

http://i24.tinypic.com/2ywxsm1.jpg

Woot teh spoilzorzz lives on!*rockout*

SamE30e
10-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Woot teh spoilzorzz lives on!*rockout*

Looks pretty damn good. I might touch it up while its on the car to fill in some of the crack. Other then that, she'll be low and stoppin quicker by the end of the week. And not slipping the clutch from 2000rpm and up.

e30_kid89
10-15-2007, 12:15 AM
Nice stuff bro! take pics when shes all done up!!

SamE30e
10-15-2007, 12:16 AM
Will do for sure. If I had wheels and tires i'd be happy for the year. Maybe even a chip.

SamE30e
10-15-2007, 11:11 AM
I'm going to crappy tire to get a adaptor after class, then that son of a bitch is coming out.. I'm not leaving the garage till it is.

SamE30e
10-15-2007, 06:14 PM
YES ITS OUT! IT ALMOST BROKE MY ARM BUT ITS OUT...
Note: Don't take transmissions out by yourself, it fell off the jack and onto my arm lol. I didn't even need the adaptor. When I snapped the socket wrench yesterday it actually broke the bolt loose at the same time.

SamE30e
10-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Update: The clutch is at Euro-Drive and I picked up some parts for the whip.

16" TSW's, I don't know about them, they were cheap so who cares they'll grow on me.

http://i24.tinypic.com/2w3qpuu.jpg

Brembo Cross drilled rotors

http://i23.tinypic.com/2uy6e7l.jpg

H&R Race Springs

http://i22.tinypic.com/2eauzir.jpg

BigD
10-17-2007, 12:34 AM
Never knew H&R made Race springs in black... mine and every set I've seen is red.

SamE30e
10-17-2007, 01:33 AM
They might not be Race, but they're H&R and they're lower and stamped with a R. I may be wrong.
If someone know, clear me up lol

SamE30e
10-17-2007, 10:28 PM
Update: I put the rear rotors on and slapped the wheels on so I can roll it out and clean the garage. It's like a 4x4, definetly need the springs. Anybody have any alternatives to adjusting the rear camber without welding anything?

http://i22.tinypic.com/2eluhki.jpg

craz azn
10-17-2007, 10:31 PM
^ your out of luck there man. You have the center caps for those rims?

SamE30e
10-17-2007, 11:07 PM
Yea I do. I like them without for now.
I found adjustable bushings from bav auto, might go with those but they're 150$

e30_kid89
10-18-2007, 10:35 AM
Eyyy bro almost done?? The E30 meet is sunday! Test out that baller clutch setup you're gonna be installing. I think the springs you got are the H&R OE sports, they're like stock but a little bit more firm. LOL in that pic is your car jacked up? or is that how it sits? You neeed to go looooooower.:D

SamE30e
10-18-2007, 12:43 PM
Thats how it sits. I saw thr springs on the guy who I bought it off of's car and it was pretty low, almost tucking the same wheels. So I doubt they're OE, I think they're sports. And the clutch won't be done till next week, so sadly I won't make it to the meet.

SamE30e
10-19-2007, 04:27 PM
Brakes are done, all that needs to be done is the springs and put the tranny back in. Then put in a new coil, re gap the plugs, get it certified then plated.... Then find insurance... And get camber adjusters in the rear and front.

SamE30e
10-20-2007, 06:00 PM
http://i21.tinypic.com/11aj0w9.jpg

Put the rear springs on, camber doesn't seem to be a big issue. All I need is a spring compressor and then put the fronts on. Ballinnn.

SamE30e
10-23-2007, 05:29 PM
UPDATTEEEE:

All the suspension is in, I messed up a tie rod end doing it, but thats a given. I'll replace it before I drive it. I get the clutch tomorrow and then it will be in by the weekend probably.

http://i22.tinypic.com/1zbql28.jpg

SamE30e
10-28-2007, 01:04 AM
Update (if you care): Everything is in but the starter and exhaust, and I did it all myself in the garage... Man I almost died!!! Pain in the ass balancing a tranny while trying to get the input shaft in and stop it from falling and not dying.. And that top tranny bolt... Almost said screw it.

e30_kid89
10-28-2007, 01:15 AM
Good work! i bet you can't wait to test out that new clutch ehh???

SamE30e
10-28-2007, 01:33 AM
haah, yea, especially with the new springs tires and brakes. I need a new tie rod end though, I ****ed mine up changing my springs.

oh yea and the wicked bad downforce created by the spoiler lol.
I've never driven the car with the clutch grabbing before.

BMW BMXer
10-28-2007, 11:42 AM
It looks like it sits higher than mine weird.

Did you do the SSK?

SamE30e
10-28-2007, 05:31 PM
No I didn't, I was debating cutting about a half inch off the shifter because I didn't have the $$. It does sit lower then in the picture because that was like minutes after i put the springs on, the settled and it dropped about a half inch more.