PDA

View Full Version : Rubbing Tires

Engin33r
10-08-2007, 03:13 PM
I can't determine if this problem is either suspension, alignment, or tire based. But here it is.

Got new KUMO Ecsta SPT tires on my 17x7.5 ALT 159's. They replaced a worn set of Pirellis (same size) which didn't rub.

My problem is as follows. The rear drivers tire rubs when the suspension compresses all the way. I have Bilstein sports and Eibach springs. It's rubbing on the inner (towards the shock) portion of the tire onto the well wall. The location of where it's rubbing makes me think that it's due to the camber. The problem only happens when I make hard right turns.

Since they are new tires, i don't want to fix the issue by adressing the wheel & tire. What are my options interms fixing this if it is camber/alignment on the rear? What about spacers?

any help is appreciated.

/m

NateoriouS
10-08-2007, 03:16 PM
probably camber...

there's a few options..!

roll your fenders if it still rubs, then do full alignment *th-up*

Mystikal
10-08-2007, 03:56 PM
probably camber...

there's a few options..!

roll your fenders if it still rubs, then do full alignment *th-up*

It isn't rubbing on the fender, it's rubbing on the inner well. And E30 rear camber is not adjustable without aftermarket parts.

Your wheels need spacers. I can't find the exact offset online, but chances are they are not E30-friendly (likely +40). Find the exact offset and I can tell you what spacers you need.

Jay

T.Dot_E30
10-08-2007, 04:05 PM
roll your fenders if it still rubs

Thats not that answer to every tire rubbing issue!

NateoriouS
10-08-2007, 04:34 PM
didn`t realize it was the inner..!!

my bad!

Engin33r
10-09-2007, 03:12 PM
It isn't rubbing on the fender, it's rubbing on the inner well. And E30 rear camber is not adjustable without aftermarket parts.

Your wheels need spacers. I can't find the exact offset online, but chances are they are not E30-friendly (likely +40). Find the exact offset and I can tell you what spacers you need.

Jay

Thanks Jay,

I'm going to call ALT today and see if they can tell me the offsets of those wheels. I'm minus a floor jack at the moment, so i can't properly measure them myself.

I'm thinking 10mm spacers + fender roll and a camber kit for the rear is my optimal solution. Recommendations for a rear kit?

thx,

Engin33r
10-09-2007, 03:22 PM

Jay

Called ALT. 38 Offset.

What size spacers would i need?

Mystikal
10-09-2007, 05:25 PM
15mm hubcentric spacers. H&R is a safe bet.

You don't really need adjustable rear camber, unless you seriously chewed up the previous set of tires. I'll let someone else chime in with a recommendation though, as I have no experience with it.

Jay

Engin33r
10-10-2007, 08:44 PM
THanks Jay.

I want to replace all the studs with new ones while i'm fixing the new spacers. Any advice on where to get all these goodies from? KW & Niagara are local for me.

thx,

m

Mystikal
10-10-2007, 10:03 PM
Yeah you'll need new longer bolts too, just source them from the same company that makes the spacers (H&R, Eibach, etc).

I'd honestly just order them online, from www.turnermotorsport.com or similar. The exchange rates are ridiculously in our favour for this, just don't ship UPS.

Jay