PDA

View Full Version : my goodness....what an electrical mess -_-........why me? it should be //_-

El Gato Liso
10-08-2007, 02:33 AM
i thought i was electronically inclined because over the years i've done soooooo much shit like making my own alternating light current by cutting out and using a raw copper clad board. i've made my own electrical motor and i've soldered mod chips into game consoles. that is just the tip of hte ice berg too

so i thought installing my newly bought stereo head unit by replacing the stock with the new would be piece of cake cutting and twisting wires, by matching.

well....i guess i am not as electronically inclined as i thought.

just trying to change the stereo (took me 2 days to get power to the deck!!!)
my odometer doesnt move anymore, my speedometer doesnt move no more, my RPM guage doesn move no more, the fuel usage guage doesnt move anymore, the trunk light is gone too, and now the dinger that sounds off when the door is open is toast too.

it would have cost me 75$ to get it installed @ future shop, but i say no im a DIY'er. unfortunately and regrettably I HAVE TO ADMIT DEFEAT. *sad*
i have that feeling i put more than 75$ worth of work to fix my guage problems.

i was able to find the power cuz i got power to the deck, and the ground wire too. the antenna cable works too when i put on AUX the atenna moves up into place. and thats it...the rest of the wiring is just too complicated.

so the point im trying to get here AFTER that essay is

has anyone ever installed an aftermarket head unit replacing the stock one in your e30?

&

is it possible for me to fix my guages not working? or would that whole cluster have to be changed *fortunatley i have a spare at hand*

thanks
ps. sorry for another *my* problem thread

Boots R
10-08-2007, 02:36 AM
You know, Future Shop sells plug and play harnesses.

El Gato Liso
10-08-2007, 02:43 AM
really? how exactly does that work? the deck i got has a plug with all the cables in it, which plugs directly into hte back of the deck. the wires need to be exposed and connected to the internal wires

FuryriderX
10-08-2007, 10:47 AM
i have an aftermarket deck in my e30. bmw has very strange speaker wiring - its common GROUND. so, you only have to hook up the +ve speaker wire, leave all the negative ones disconnected. the speakers will still work. perhaps the reason that those few things have stopped working is that you might have shorted something out in your install.

have you checked all the fuses? you may have blown one and thats whats causing the dash/lights to not work. always check those first.

and why would the antenna move up if you set the deck's input to auxillary? shouldnt it only go up when you put the radio on? anyways thats secondary. at least that is working.

if you have a meter, check for continuity between the wires you believe to be speaker ones in the dash with the actual wires on the speakers. that will help you identify them, without guessing and redoing everything.

dont forget too, if you have 'premium sound' there's an amplifier too.

some googling may have been in order too - i searched for 'e30 stereo wiring' and this was the first result
http://www.verrill.com/car/e30_stereowiringdiagram.shtml
and this was the second
http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/car-audio-electronics/7945-e30-stock-headunit-stereo-aftermarket.html
hope that helps!

archrival
10-08-2007, 11:12 AM
plug and play harness at any place like bestbuy or futureshop or your local stereo shop...usualy 10$ and u dont have to snip wires of your internal car harness!!! its all colour coded...check your fuses..it sounds like that might be your problem

ACS_DAN
10-08-2007, 12:53 PM
i have an aftermarket deck in my e30. bmw has very strange speaker wiring - its common GROUND. so, you only have to hook up the +ve speaker wire, leave all the negative ones disconnected. the speakers will still work. perhaps the reason that those few things have stopped working is that you might have shorted something out in your install.

have you checked all the fuses? you may have blown one and thats whats causing the dash/lights to not work. always check those first.

and why would the antenna move up if you set the deck's input to auxillary? shouldnt it only go up when you put the radio on? anyways thats secondary. at least that is working.

if you have a meter, check for continuity between the wires you believe to be speaker ones in the dash with the actual wires on the speakers. that will help you identify them, without guessing and redoing everything.

dont forget too, if you have 'premium sound' there's an amplifier too.

some googling may have been in order too - i searched for 'e30 stereo wiring' and this was the first result
http://www.verrill.com/car/e30_stereowiringdiagram.shtml
and this was the second
http://www.unitedbimmer.com/forums/car-audio-electronics/7945-e30-stock-headunit-stereo-aftermarket.html
hope that helps!

Yup check all your fuses. also
www.the12volt.com is wonderful for info concerning wiring.

El Gato Liso
10-08-2007, 08:04 PM
UPDAAAAATE

fury rider THANKS that tip helped a lot about using the + only!!!

SO

my spedo is working again, and the rpm too...the petro usage meter is a little wacko but it will work, and the odometer is good too. i changed 2 blown fuses!

i tooks a drive down to orangeville today and its all good

but of course with me for every 1 step forward i go 2 steps back

my head unit is powered up and playing music ONYL from the radio tuner. all the speakers are giving off sound which is good. but when i put in a cd the track plays but absolutely no sound comes out.

and also my lights that light up the cluster are now gone too...hopefully its just a light bulb.

PelicanGolf2
10-15-2007, 12:03 PM
but of course with me for every 1 step forward i go 2 steps back

= Owning an E30 :cool:

FuryriderX
10-15-2007, 01:06 PM
yah cluster lights are probably just blown out. get them from the dealership, they're almost impossible to find elsewhere.

i think i know what the problem is - you attached the power antenna wire to the stock amp's turn on wire. therefore, only the radio will work. (since the power antenna isnt up when the cd is playing.)

make sure you connect the AMP turn on wire (usually blue) from the deck to this wire. then you should have sound all the time.

BMW03
10-15-2007, 01:14 PM
now that you only have sound from the radio....... that same thing happened to me. Some of the things that you did and what happened is just like what happened to me. I ran a seperate ground for the deck, and that fixed the power problem for the deck. Then I couldn't get sound for the cd's like you have. So I rewired all the speakers because I couldn't figure it out. So that is always another option.

El Gato Liso
10-15-2007, 03:09 PM
yeees

the cd player works thanks fury!

but still i cant leave it in, it keeps blowing out the fuse that controls my tail lights and cluster lights

n e suggestion to that problem?

T.Dot_E30
10-15-2007, 04:42 PM
yeees

the cd player works thanks fury!

but still i cant leave it in, it keeps blowing out the fuse that controls my tail lights and cluster lights

n e suggestion to that problem?

The wire that tells the deck when the park lights are on(illumination wire) is shorting out. Causing it to blow the fuse, then there is no power to the circuit.

Installing a deck is easy in an e30 you just need to know what you are doing. If it has premium audio, its slightly harder thou.

T.Dot_E30
10-15-2007, 04:47 PM
plug and play harness at any place like bestbuy or futureshop or your local stereo shop...usualy 10$ and u dont have to snip wires of your internal car harness!!! its all colour coded...check your fuses..it sounds like that might be your problem

They actually don't make one for e30's with premium sound, bcus no speaker wires run from the deck to the speakers. They run from the amp (trunk) to each speaker.