1) Must be manual
2) No rust

SamE30e
10-04-2007, 11:45 PM
Good luck..
Check craigslist, kijiji and autotrader

Zorin
10-05-2007, 12:12 AM
Most E30s found in Ontario or Quebec are rusted out and will need repairs.
Try California car :-)

Striker
10-05-2007, 12:40 PM
Most E30s found in Ontario or Quebec are rusted out and will need repairs.
Try California car :-)

How can you make such a general statement like that???????

This one was in fairly good condition and was just a few months ago http://www.mco.org/cms/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6686

I just came off the phone with the person who had owned it, it's sold.

I also have a customer with one in showroom condition with the exact color and wheels in the link above. Some people can care for their cars and you just can generalize like that.

I have seen newer 3 series BMW's like the e46 which i would not even pay 7k for, and see some older e21 320i like a red one I found 2 weeks ago worth about 12k with only 55,000 KM on it.

Zorin
10-05-2007, 01:13 PM
How can you make such a general statement like that???????

This one was in fairly good condition and was just a few months ago http://www.mco.org/cms/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6686

I just came off the phone with the person who had owned it, it's sold.

I also have a customer with one in showroom condition with the exact color and wheels in the link above. Some people can care for their cars and you just can generalize like that.

I have seen newer 3 series BMW's like the e46 which i would not even pay 7k for, and see some older e21 320i like a red one I found 2 weeks ago worth about 12k with only 55,000 KM on it.

Most E30 are rusted with few exceptions as you mentioned, but convertible that were stored improperly have rust.
The main reason is that BMWs were not prepared for salty North America just as most early European imports - e.g. Renault, Peugeot. In most cases, first owners took care of their cars, but once the car passed 10 years mark it was sold or traded and not cared for properly, hence their current condition. Especially, IX which is considered to be winter car, would be hard to find without rust after all the salt.

Colin Hughes
10-05-2007, 01:31 PM
I just picked up a 1991 325i, auto, for my daughter in excellent shape, original paint, one female owner. Some rust starting behind front pass wheel on fender and a bit on the pass side mirror. Bought a 1986 320i eurospec, five speed, last year for my wife, rusty on two front fenders behind wheels but overall in good shape, original paint. Replace front fenders and it would look almost new.

Striker
10-05-2007, 02:04 PM
The main reason is that BMWs were not prepared for salty North America just as most early European imports - e.g. Renault, Peugeot.

So which cars were "prepared' for salt?

For your information, and if you worked on your e30 well enough, you will see that BMW's ESPECIALLY the e30 had one of the best rubberized undercoating ever. I am doing work on my e30 underside right now and it's a b!tch to get off the thick rubberized undercoating.

The undercoating worked really well, on the older cars it can separate from the metal, trap moisture over time rust.

Striker
10-05-2007, 02:06 PM
I just picked up a 1991 325i, auto, for my daughter in excellent shape, original paint, one female owner. Some rust starting behind front pass wheel on fender and a bit on the pass side mirror. Bought a 1986 320i eurospec, five speed, last year for my wife, rusty on two front fenders behind wheels but overall in good shape, original paint. Replace front fenders and it would look almost new.

Congrats Colin, one of the best purchases you might have made. E30's now being mostly 20 years do have their quirks, but they are relatively easy to work on, parts are cheaper and they are fun.

supernaught
10-05-2007, 02:13 PM
IX for sale, I have nothing to do with it, but someone should check it out

supernaught
10-05-2007, 02:13 PM
damn, heres the link
http://www.trader.ca/Search/Details.asp?mknm=688&Region=-1&subcategory=&CAT=1&ADID=6458014&ADS=6458014%7C

Zorin
10-05-2007, 02:32 PM
So which cars were "prepared' for salt?

For your information, and if you worked on your e30 well enough, you will see that BMW's ESPECIALLY the e30 had one of the best rubberized undercoating ever. I am doing work on my e30 underside right now and it's a b!tch to get off the thick rubberized undercoating.

The undercoating worked really well, on the older cars it can separate from the metal, trap moisture over time rust.

I worked on many cars and undercoating in most cases gets damaged by improper rustproofing - e.g. using oil based rustproofing that melts the undercoating over time allowing moisture to penetrate.

Removing the undercoating is not that hard if you use nylon brush on a power drill.

oldskool3
10-05-2007, 03:27 PM
OP check the for sale section there is a mint 318is with m50 swap. The price is a little high but the condtion is so good i think it is worth it. Clean swap, BBS's and houdstooth interior FTW

E30M42cab
10-05-2007, 04:19 PM
There are still E30 is good shape, but you have to look for them over over months, not weeks. I had been looking for a clean e30 all summer, and didn't find one till a couple weeks ago. 1989, 325i, 72,000km, no rust, damn near mint condition, original paint, Canadian car... paid $8,000 for it, but it should last 10 more years. It's white, so it's almost impossible to hide any rust. Point being, nice ones still exist, so take your time, wait until you find the perfect one... Or buy a Lancia Delta HF Integrale. I'll try to post some pics this weekend!

Striker
10-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Removing the undercoating is not that hard if you use nylon brush on a power drill.

And finish by 2010 :D Just joking.

I am using a heavy duty wire cup brush and a pneumatic angle tool with 135 psi of air.

Striker
10-05-2007, 04:55 PM
There are still E30 is good shape, but you have to look for them over over months, not weeks. I had been looking for a clean e30 all summer, and didn't find one till a couple weeks ago. 1989, 325i, 72,000km, no rust, damn near mint condition, original paint, Canadian car... paid $8,000 for it, but it should last 10 more years. It's white, so it's almost impossible to hide any rust. Point being, nice ones still exist, so take your time, wait until you find the perfect one... Or buy a Lancia Delta HF Integrale. I'll try to post some pics this weekend!

There a few clean ones out there, the problem I see many times is that the car exterior might be good, but lots of the owners use Canadian Tire Chinese parts and do lots of chop and tie band aid fixes. You have to inspect the car throughly to see what has been done to it if it will be a keeper.

I have had my 87 325is since 1997, all original and clean, though I have been working on it on and off for the last two years, rebuilding it from the ground up with some mods.

Zorin
10-05-2007, 06:23 PM
And finish by 2010 :D Just joking.

I am using a heavy duty wire cup brush and a pneumatic angle tool with 135 psi of air.

I am also using angle air grinder with 6" nylon brush and it works fast.
Believe it or not - spray first with CLR grease magnet and then use the grinder works like a charm but pretty messy :-)

Zorin
10-05-2007, 06:27 PM
There a few clean ones out there, the problem I see many times is that the car exterior might be good, but lots of the owners use Canadian Tire Chinese parts and do lots of chop and tie band aid fixes. You have to inspect the car throughly to see what has been done to it if it will be a keeper.

I have had my 87 325is since 1997, all original and clean, though I have been working on it on and off for the last two years, rebuilding it from the ground up with some mods.

I agree to that - maintenance and use of "inferior" parts and quick fixes really damage the car in the long run.

I just stripped my 84 318i and will have new floors welded in along with other patches next weekend.

If you do a proper repair work it will last long time especially if you drive the car only in the summer time :-)

Arash
10-05-2007, 10:39 PM
I agree to that - maintenance and use of "inferior" parts and quick fixes really damage the car in the long run.

I just stripped my 84 318i and will have new floors welded in along with other patches next weekend.

If you do a proper repair work it will last long time especially if you drive the car only in the summer time :-)

good luck with the car man.

ps. I don't think your neighbours are too happy! lol

http://i24.tinypic.com/2ebdct2.jpg

Zorin
10-05-2007, 10:43 PM
good luck with the car man.

ps. I don't think your neighbours are too happy! lol

http://i24.tinypic.com/2ebdct2.jpg

Neighbours are still ok :-)
Actually, I am going to be moving it to a garage next weekend.
I need to make room at my house and I will work on it there.