PDA

View Full Version : Car got broken into, buying an alarm, suggestions?

NickP
02-09-2002, 01:58 AM
Went to the Keg at Dixon and Carlingview (airport) with some friends for dinner tonight. We come back and notice that my passenger side door is unlocked & my friend's laptop was stolen.

The car was double locked when I left it, and there was no damage to the car at all when we came back. The locks weren't messed with / scratched, the car was dusty from the road spray and there weren't any marks on the door / window / b pillar so it doesn't look like it was slim jimmed.

So I'm pretty pissed right now :mad:, even though there's no damage to my car. Filed a police report, waste of time... but I've decided to swing for an alarm, what do you guys recommend for brands / models / places to install.

Bliss
02-09-2002, 02:48 AM
I heard good things about clifford alarm systems. I know they have a wide selection of alarms, but what company doesn't. :rolleyes: Then Alpine alarms are suppose to be really good as well.

Dluxazn58
02-09-2002, 03:29 AM
VIPER alarms...
i dunno which one it is.. but one of the models sounds really cool when activated... OH yeah and the alarm itself is pretty good too... And dont be savy and gip the proximity sensor! they're not ONLY for convertibles... plus its kinda koo to leave your windows open on hot days..

Phantom
02-09-2002, 03:36 AM
I can vouch for the Clifford range of alarms. I currently have a G4 installed in my car, and I've had no problems in the 2 years I've used it. Be aware however that Clifford is no longer in business. They were bought out by DEI who for some strange reason is still churning out Clifford products. The beauty of the system is its versatility. You can get the base unit for a few hundred dollars and simply keep adding peripherals to it, e.g garage door opener, auto window shut, telephone auto start, remote disable from anywhere in the world etc......

Because I'm a bit of a security system freak I also have a paging system wired to the alarm good for a range of 1000metres/1km(open field). Also have a gps system with round the clock monitoring from a base station in the U.S

No I dont need all this but I'm a bit of a clown when it comes to gizmos. Cant get enough.........*devil*

Hmmm maybe thats why I haven't 'modded' my car. Too busy spending on things that go beep !

djcontra
02-09-2002, 08:59 AM
how did they break into it when it was double locked?
is there some dealer trick that somebody knows about?
this scares me, i want to disable that feature =)

EMPOWERD
02-09-2002, 09:35 AM
Nick,

In my experience, the more gizmos and toys you get with your system, the more false alarms you'll receive. Stay with a simple system from a large manufacturer with a good warranty. Usually the cold weather here in T.O. can actually affect the brain (I pooched a few because the automatic locks froze over) I've got a DEI unit (they own Viper, Hornet, Stinger, and a lot of other no name brands) with a paging unit (runs off FM sigal -- 3km range) and a Boomerang Theft tracking system. My Dad has a Clifford system in his M3 and an Alpine System in his E36 325is. Out of all the systems, we've encountered problems with the Alpine brain 3 times. I'd recommend (from experience) a Clifford or Viper system but DO NOT get the proximity sensor....nothing but problems! I threw mine clear across the 401 after ripping it out. Good luck and sorry to hear about your friend's laptop.

Try these guys out... they're on Steeles (Pine Valley Area) literally beside Maranello Ferrari. They have done a ton of high end car installs and are VERY competatively priced.

12VOLT Car Audio (416) 748-5803

NickP
02-09-2002, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by empowerd
Nick,

...snip...

Try these guys out... they're on Steeles (Pine Valley Area) literally beside Maranello Ferrari. They have done a ton of high end car installs and are VERY competatively priced.

12VOLT Car Audio (416) 748-5803

Thanks for the suggestion, I've bought some stuff from these guys, they're next to Shantaram (spelling?) used BMW parts, so I might swing by and see what they've got

Phantom
02-09-2002, 12:03 PM
Say Randy, what make and model is the Paging System in your dads M3?

Dluxazn58
02-09-2002, 12:07 PM
Hey randy what kinds of probs did you have with your proximity sensor?

I had one added to my viper a few weeks ago.. heh lovin it..
so I was just wondering what things I should look out for?

EMPOWERD
02-09-2002, 05:27 PM
Actually, My dad's M3 doesn't have a paging system... it's just a straight Clifford with a Boomerang too. My paging system is unknown, but the keypad/pager says "AutoStart" on it.

The problems were false alarms in the middle of the night (no... not falling leaves either!) I turned the sensitivity all the way down just to test it out, and sure enough... more false alarms. Almost every day. So I yanked it out and pitched it in the garbage.... It was located in the rear ashtray (center console).

NickP
02-10-2002, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by djcontra
how did they break into it when it was double locked?
is there some dealer trick that somebody knows about?
this scares me, i want to disable that feature =)

There's an alleged dealer trick to get into a double locked car from the passenger side - someone on the roadfly board mentioned that a dealer opened the passenger side door on his double locked car without any tools several months ago. My car was covered in road grime from the weather and the only marks through the road grime were on the door handles.