PDA

View Full Version : Reliability of 335 engine?

Simby
10-03-2007, 06:54 PM
Hey. How's the reliability of the new 335 engine? I know BMW used to have turbo engines but it's been a long time since they've last put one out.

With this being a turbo engine, any concerns to buying a 1-2 year old used 335?

tominizer
10-03-2007, 09:22 PM
The 335 are complete garbage apparently. Didn't you hear about the European DOT report that came out after some hush-hush problems after testing. Apparently some longevity issue with an internal head coating getting ingested into the block.......... the techie bit was way over my head. Just like the bullshit I'm spinning now. Who the F%$& is going to know that already ........... about this lump ?!!??!?!? The car just came out.

propr'one
10-04-2007, 01:31 AM
lol.

i almost believed you there bro.

yeah, the cars are too new to know.

cisco911
10-04-2007, 01:01 PM
its too early to tell, but what has me worried is the fact that when they were first being tested by journalist somewhere, one engine supposedly popped while being pushed through its paces on the track for an hour. I don't remember where I read that though. I guess we just have to wait and see.

Daddy
10-04-2007, 01:31 PM
There's a lot of concern re: the engine temperatures. They run really hot and even some with the additional oil coolers still go into limp mode from overheating when run hard.

Too early to tell whether this affects longterm reliability.

VSanj
10-04-2007, 03:28 PM
If a engine is running hot constantly it will affect long term relaibility. I would wait on that car for a bit.............in the meantime there are plenty of options...............buy a 2005 M3.

BigD
10-04-2007, 03:31 PM
The 335 are complete garbage apparently. Didn't you hear about the European DOT report that came out after some hush-hush problems after testing. Apparently some longevity issue with an internal head coating getting ingested into the block.......... the techie bit was way over my head. Just like the bullshit I'm spinning now. Who the F%$& is going to know that already ........... about this lump ?!!??!?!? The car just came out.

LOL I nominate for the best troll post of the year, very creative *th-up*

Euro_E30
10-07-2007, 01:21 PM
its a great motor, only issues so for with it are fuel pumps but that barely happens. if it has warranty you should be ok.

2K6E60
10-08-2007, 09:14 PM
If these Engines hold up, they will be legendary.

craz azn
10-09-2007, 12:14 AM
One reason I hate that it runs so hot is that they use such thin oils for what IMO should use a thicker oil. I mean like, 5w30 ?? :huh?: Wtf.

I had seen one that came into BMW Toronto during summer. Engine blew up. As for why I couldn't tell you, neither could the tech changing the engine because a new one arrived in a crate within a week and next day the old one was sent back, unopened and untouched. Must have been under warranty I guess. All the tech could tell me was that there was oil in the coolant... :confused: