PDA

View Full Version : Damn Car... why don't you want to start again?

creese
10-02-2007, 09:41 AM
So when i went to start my car yesterday, nothing, the battery is dead again... this is an ongoing ailing problem
ok so i didn't use my car for almost 2 days...
and i have this little alarm light in my car that's probably draining the battery bit by bit... but still?:confused:
i've changed the alternator (it was in pretty bad shape) and i've exchanged my new battery 3 times already...wtf?:confused:
i took a reading on the battery charge the 3 days prior (while doing a routine check-up) and it was @ 12.something when off and read 13.6 while it was on... so i thought everything is cool...
ok back to the story... tried to boost the car... and it's still dead, i know it has something to do with the battery because power door locks aren't working and when i turn the key the dashlights faintly turn on and then fade...
I'm really annoyed about this...
Can anyone relate? or does anyone have any suggestions?
Thanks!

supernaught
10-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Use your Haynes or Bentley manual and look at the wiring schematics. Since the key switch should be a hard disconnect, you can eliminate anything that gets power through the switch or through a relay activated by the swtich. Of course the first stop from the battery is the starter.
You can also try to find the load at the test socket if you are handy with a multimeter. You can watch the current draw from the battery end, then disconnect the starter + leads and clip them together, if you still see a load, then its not the starter and move on.

creese
10-02-2007, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the suggestions!

sproule905
10-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Had the same issue on my starter.. was reading like 14 with the car off. turned it over... voltages went down. replaced the starter. good as new!