PDA

View Full Version : E30 Idle/Cutoff problem!!!!!!!

5JABIJ8
10-01-2007, 04:25 PM
My cousing recently purchased a E30. and it has a problem when starting the car and when left at Idle also when you press the accelator it seems to be holding back. But when left at idle it cut's off. Checked and replaced Fuel pump and sending unit. :confused:

Thinking that it was the sending unit or Fuel pump underneath the back seat we replaced that and problem still exist. any help/advise would be greatly appriciated. *th-up*

1991 318is

FuryriderX
10-01-2007, 07:40 PM
'it seems to be holding back' - like hesitating?

did you check the fuel filter? if its partially plugged it may give issues like you describe. you could also try running some injector cleaner through it, and checking/changing the air filter. the idle control valve could be messed up too.

vacuum leaks can also cause huge idle problems - look for cracks in all the intake rubber boots/hoses. ziptie around all the hoses where they connect - if that fixes the problem, put hose clamps to make it permanent.

5JABIJ8
10-02-2007, 11:51 AM
'it seems to be holding back' - like hesitating?

did you check the fuel filter? if its partially plugged it may give issues like you describe. you could also try running some injector cleaner through it, and checking/changing the air filter. the idle control valve could be messed up too.

vacuum leaks can also cause huge idle problems - look for cracks in all the intake rubber boots/hoses. ziptie around all the hoses where they connect - if that fixes the problem, put hose clamps to make it permanent.

Thank you very much.. At least I can now start troubleshooting and start the process of elimination. *th-up* btw I also checked the coil pack and found it was giving out low current from it. I am going try to replace that and see if that fixes it.

The Air filter is brand new. will check fuel filter, Idle control valve along with Vacuum leaks. thx agn

El Gato Liso
10-02-2007, 11:58 AM
by coil pack you mean the distributor coil right?

and i too had the same problems, i changed the intake boot that made a difference. also there is a plug that goes into a socket under the intake manifold which is sort of hard to see. when i put that shit back in my cars idle made it sound brand new.

pull out the air flow sensor and clean it out too. lick in 2 bottles of injector cleaner with some ultra 94 and let that run through as well. change the fuel filter (careful not to get fuel in your eyes!), and the spark plugs too.

i did everything i just said, and my idling is good!

good luck and report back to us how it went man

5JABIJ8
10-02-2007, 12:02 PM
by coil pack you mean the distributor coil right?

i changed mine and it fixed my electrical current problems. hope fully it works out for you too!

Yup exactly what I referring too Distributor coil. I hope so too man!!*th-up*

FuryriderX
10-02-2007, 12:32 PM
word on the spark plugs - dont use the platinum crap. get the bosch coppers. www.autopartsonlinecanada.com should have them, or get them from www.corner73.com haha. apparently that makes a big difference too.

El Gato Liso
10-02-2007, 12:44 PM
i using bosch plat 2 pronged
my dad told me he never liked them and that i shouldnt use em, but for the price i paid why not

5JABIJ8
10-02-2007, 02:05 PM
Turns out the distributor coil was not the problem. Also checked Vacuum no cracks or any type of wear on the rubber.

Also Idle control valve has been cleaned and that did not fix the problem either. Note when pressing accelator the car is holding back then eventually get's power back.

Now checking fuel filter.. Just to confirm it is under the car infront of the gas tank under a plastic cover right?:confused:

5JABIJ8
10-02-2007, 02:29 PM
UPDATE!!! Fuel filter seems to be fine...

BIG PROBLEM!!!!!Checked spark plug wires found plugs 3 and 4 full of OIL!!!!!! WTF pls tell me the head is not gone!!! putting in new spark plugs and ignition wires should fix this but I am worried about the new one filling up with oil too.. F*&CK

e30_kid89
10-02-2007, 03:50 PM
Change your valve cover gasket, thats why theres oil down there. As for the problem, is the check engine light on? Does the car still idle badly when warm? Spray some WD40 on the vaccum hoses and check for visually cracked hoses like FuryriderX said. Early M42 vaccum hoses usally go bad and need to be replaced.

5JABIJ8
10-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Change your valve cover gasket, thats why theres oil down there. As for the problem, is the check engine light on? Does the car still idle badly when warm? Spray some WD40 on the vaccum hoses and check for visually cracked hoses like FuryriderX said. Early M42 vaccum hoses usally go bad and need to be replaced.

Yes Check engine light is on. Checked vaccum hoses seem to be fine but I will double check it again thx

El Gato Liso
10-02-2007, 06:21 PM
ok
my plugs were too full of black
clean them with a wire brush
the best thing you can do is put the injector cleaner and high octane fuel
and drive the car hard, dont idle and rev, i mean drive it on the road and move the car!

remember this car is old
the piston rings do have wear and oil can be getting through messing up combustion which in turn makes your idling retarded.

then when you push the car hard it will eventually burn out any oil and your idle should get better.

sorry i never mentioned this before, i was thinking something completely different

let us know how it turns out...cuz i know for a fact i had this same issue

e30_kid89
10-02-2007, 07:16 PM
Yes Check engine light is on. Checked vaccum hoses seem to be fine but I will double check it again thx

If the light is on, Pull the codes from it and that should get you started in the right direction. So far i bet its the o2 sensor (code 1222).*drink*

5JABIJ8
10-02-2007, 08:13 PM
ok
my plugs were too full of black
clean them with a wire brush
the best thing you can do is put the injector cleaner and high octane fuel
and drive the car hard, dont idle and rev, i mean drive it on the road and move the car!

remember this car is old
the piston rings do have wear and oil can be getting through messing up combustion which in turn makes your idling retarded.

then when you push the car hard it will eventually burn out any oil and your idle should get better.

sorry i never mentioned this before, i was thinking something completely different

let us know how it turns out...cuz i know for a fact i had this same issue

I think I've found the problem. I took the rocker panel off and found the inner seals rubber washers 1 of them was cracked and that's how the oil got into plugs 3 & 4. Thank you everyone who contributed to this thread. NOW HOPEFULLY when I dry it out and put in new washers in it will fix everything!!!

El Gato Liso
10-02-2007, 10:42 PM
I think I've found the problem. I took the rocker panel off and found the inner seals rubber washers 1 of them was cracked and that's how the oil got into plugs 3 & 4. Thank you everyone who contributed to this thread. NOW HOPEFULLY when I dry it out and put in new washers in it will fix everything!!!

as usual let us know how it goes!!!

BMW03
10-03-2007, 12:24 PM
ya following the thread, I had no clue till the end what exactly it could be. But i hope this really fixes the problem, good luck and keep on rockin on.

InfiniteDice
10-04-2007, 12:10 AM
Had an issue like that after my swap... Had 2 wires on the AFM crossed... i'm sure that a bad connection or short would cause the same issue.

later.

5JABIJ8
10-04-2007, 12:11 PM
new washer in the rocker panel. All plugs dried. and now the car finally runs normal.. 4 washers in the rocker panel replace all 4 for like $20. Put in new spark plug and coil pack. Now my cousing can finally enjoy his E30.

!!THANK YOU EVERYONE FOR helpful hints idea pointer. MUCH APPRICIATED!!!
*th-up* *th-up* *th-up* *rockout* *wave*

El Gato Liso
10-04-2007, 03:07 PM
very glad to hear!!!!

FuryriderX
10-04-2007, 03:10 PM
no worries man - keep the e30 alive *th-up*