PDA

View Full Version : Service History legalities

CaptainGomes
09-26-2007, 02:29 PM
A few months ago I purchased an E30 318iS from a new car dealership here in Ontario. One of the things I liked about the purchase (and at $6500 it was really high - live and learn!), was that it had a nice service history.

When I went to pick up the car, I was walking out when I realized that the salesman forgot to provide the service history, and it wasn't included in the glove compartment. I returned back in and reminded him of that, and he said "oh, I can't do that, it's illegal. In fact, I probably should have never shown it because the previous owners' name and address is on the receipts. I could get in big trouble for that."

Could anybody in the industry please confirm if this is true? The car ended up not being in as good a shape as I had hoped, and it's really my fault for not doing more than a relatively short test-drive. This car simply felt much better than the others that I drove, but has since needed some expensive work that surely they knew about.

I look forward to any comments!

piran21
09-26-2007, 02:35 PM
Yeah, they can't show you or give you the service records (reciepts, invoices) because of the Privacy... that's why it's better to buy private one-owner cars with records! ...

CaptainGomes
09-26-2007, 02:36 PM
Argh!!! Oh well, I was mad about the issues that came up with the car, so I wanted to use that against them! Thanks for the very quick reply. Live and learn!

King Luis
09-26-2007, 03:23 PM
when i got my M, i got the original bill of sale, service records and car history.
got it from a used car dealership too