PDA

View Full Version : Rush Hour Traffic

e30bim
09-25-2007, 01:08 PM
After yesterdays horrific crash on the 427 involving yet another transport truck. I wanted to start a thread about what you guys think about transport trucks being on Metropolitan highways during rush hour (7am-9am, 4:30-6:30pm). I respect transport truck drivers, I realise they pay the same road taxes, gas taxes, etc. etc. I realise their importance to the economy, but do you think that they could ever have certain hours they would have to take their sleeps, or time their route's so they are outside the city during these hours? It's just a discussion that was brought up at work and I want to hear what the Max'ers think...

I personally think it would cut down on a fair amount of traffic, they can own the roads during the night and during business hours. I realise the answer to solving traffic problems is carpooling and getting people on public transit.

What do you guys think???

Boots R
09-25-2007, 01:11 PM
Retarded idea.

5JABIJ8
09-25-2007, 01:13 PM
Well in . India new Dehli and some parts of Europe and China.. Trucks are not allowed in the city during daylight hours at all. All companies and business are to get their deliveries at night and it seems to be working in those over populated countries so they must be doing something right?

jstalin
09-25-2007, 01:39 PM
The difference would be neglible, there's still a great volume of cars clogging up the roads.

I would support a law keeping transports in the right lane however, there's no excuse for them to be in the passing lane.

europrince
09-25-2007, 02:08 PM
Any curtailing of truck driving or shipment delivery hours en masse would have a huge impact economically. Staffing for truck loading and unloading would have to change across the economy. What would be the solution for long haul truckers who drive half a day to several days to their delivery destination? How would you regulate this? Any regulation of the free flow of goods would lead to large inefficiencies in labour, equipment and investment dollars, and would take a large toll on our economy. This idea is a non-starter.

Boots R
09-25-2007, 02:13 PM
Any curtailing of truck driving or shipment delivery hours en masse would have a huge impact economically. Staffing for truck loading and unloading would have to change across the economy. What would be the solution for long haul truckers who drive half a day to several days to their delivery destination? How would you regulate this? Any regulation of the free flow of goods would lead to large inefficiencies in labour, equipment and investment dollars, and would take a large toll on our economy. This idea is a non-starter.

Exactly.

Long Haul drivers have log-book hours to adhere to. If a driver is coming from Detroit to Montreal, and has to pass through Toronto, do you think it makes sense that he has to pull over for a few hours, just because "Johnny No-Drive" is a little scared of a Truck bigger than him.

I say GOOD. Stay afraid. That's the whole concept behind being a defensive driver. Expect the unexpected, pay attention to your surroundings. Too many drivers I see just assume that "the other guy" will get out of the way.

e30bim
09-25-2007, 02:23 PM
I'm impressed with the comments so far, especially the wonderful contribution from boots! Never have I heard such a insightful view to a topic, backed up with such a targeted array of facts and theory. Of his 7,074 posts, I'm sure each one has shed unique perspective on the topic at hand. He is more than likely being headhunted by the folks at CNN Crossfire. Anyways, I elect we get a trophy for boots proclaiming him as the 2007 Maxbimmer "Airhead of the year"

T.Dot_E30
09-25-2007, 02:32 PM
There really is no easy solution.

No trucks in the left lane is a start, but that does nothing for rush hour traffic when you can't move anyways.

Boots R
09-25-2007, 02:46 PM
I'm impressed with the comments so far, especially the wonderful contribution from boots! Never have I heard such a insightful view to a topic, backed up with such a targeted array of facts and theory. Of his 7,074 posts, I'm sure each one has shed unique perspective on the topic at hand. He is more than likely being headhunted by the folks at CNN Crossfire. Anyways, I elect we get a trophy for boots proclaiming him as the 2007 Maxbimmer "Airhead of the year"

Oh, i'm sorry, was I too insightful for you?

Clearly you know nothing of how transportation works. Coming from someone who WORKS in the business, I would know. And from anyone who also works in the business, you would hear the same response.

punnzzells
09-25-2007, 02:51 PM
I say this...

trucks in the right lane only... you will see that these trucks will move faster then the rest of traffic... at a more even pace.

here's my theory;

automatic cars are the problem..... mini vans especially.... there is no logic to driving an automatic car and some people still can't grasp that concept. I notice a lot of people braking very hard and sudden in automatic cars while there is still 20 feet of room infront of them... why do you need to jam on the brakes... just take your flippin' foot off the gas pedal and watch the car slow down... now automatic cars will not slow down as fast as a manual 5/6 speed... but it will.

so, here's final point... can't the government or driver training people not teach drivers the simple task of estimating oncoming traffics speed? Soooo many times I see people pull out and they think that car that's coming is soooo far away, but yet it's right up there but now... so many times I stay behind trucks on the highways b/c I am tired of shifting gears...I will run 2nd gear to 3rd gear behind trucks and ... in regular traffic.... 1st gear, brake... all the way.

so, make all cars manual transmissions... that would eliminate some of the bad drivers... teach speed detecting of on coming traffic... and keep all the trucks in the right lanes... and watch.. you will see that they will be moving at a steady pace...

Zim Zimma
09-25-2007, 02:54 PM
Exactly.

Long Haul drivers have log-book hours to adhere to. If a driver is coming from Detroit to Montreal, and has to pass through Toronto, do you think it makes sense that he has to pull over for a few hours, just because "Johnny No-Drive" is a little scared of a Truck bigger than him.

I say GOOD. Stay afraid. That's the whole concept behind being a defensive driver. Expect the unexpected, pay attention to your surroundings. Too many drivers I see just assume that "the other guy" will get out of the way.

The suggestion at the top was with regards to traffic congestion. Not people being afraid of trucks.

jstalin
09-25-2007, 02:56 PM
so, make all cars manual transmissions... that would eliminate some of the bad drivers... teach speed detecting of on coming traffic... and keep all the trucks in the right lanes... and watch.. you will see that they will be moving at a steady pace...

You won't find many automatic's in Europe, and believe it or not, they too have traffic jams.

europrince
09-25-2007, 03:10 PM

Is this an example of you exhibiting your vast intelligence?

europrince
09-25-2007, 03:14 PM
I say this...

trucks in the right lane only... you will see that these trucks will move faster then the rest of traffic... at a more even pace.

here's my theory;

automatic cars are the problem..... mini vans especially.... there is no logic to driving an automatic car and some people still can't grasp that concept. I notice a lot of people braking very hard and sudden in automatic cars while there is still 20 feet of room infront of them... why do you need to jam on the brakes... just take your flippin' foot off the gas pedal and watch the car slow down... now automatic cars will not slow down as fast as a manual 5/6 speed... but it will.

right lane only won't work. it has been publicly suggested to an outcry of how cars will get on and off the highway if the right lane is clogged with trucks.

manual vs automatic is a really silly idea. you're making stuff up as you go along. the type of tranny you drive has no bearing on how bad a driver you are or how quick you can stop. are you saying a manual civic will outstop an automatic porsche?

5JABIJ8
09-25-2007, 03:16 PM
There really is no easy solution.

No trucks in the left lane is a start, but that does nothing for rush hour traffic when you can't move anyways.

I agree with your statement at least they should try this NO TRUCKS in the left lane *th-up* It may keep traffic flowing hopefully anywayz!!!

Boots R
09-25-2007, 03:20 PM
The suggestion at the top was with regards to traffic congestion. Not people being afraid of trucks.

It still doesn't make any sense. Traffic is a part of city life. If someone doesn't like it, they should migrate to a more rural town, or take a bus.

The negative would outweigh the positive if they were to ever limit trucks, as costs would increase, drivers willing to only commute at night would decrease, and less product would be able to deliver. It would have a huge impact on goods and trade locally, and anything that passes through toronto.

rdtx2005
09-25-2007, 03:23 PM
so what if the truck trailer fishtails right before rush hour or an hour before rush hour? Same damn problem.

That is why the idea is/was silly in the first place.

e30bim
09-25-2007, 03:49 PM
"Oh, i'm sorry, was I too insightful for you?

Clearly you know nothing of how transportation works. Coming from someone who WORKS in the business, I would know. And from anyone who also works in the business, you would hear the same response."

Boots, I was talking about traffic jams and the fact that alot of which may be caused by transport trucks (along with potentially being more dangerous with such a high volume of cars on the road at peak times.) Just because you work in the transportation industry at a loading dock does not know you mean anything about highway traffic. The best example would be if you were a port-a-potty vacuumer, (which you could likely do well because you talk so much shit you would be used to the smell) boasting you were in the plumbing business, trying to give me advice on how to fix a sink.

T.Dot_E30
09-25-2007, 03:51 PM
hahaha, this is entertaining

*rockout*

I hope no one is taking it too seriously.

Axxe
09-25-2007, 03:54 PM
"Public Transit"

And STFU.

You have NO idea how much road and fuel tax trucks pay, it's not even close to the same as a car. 1 year plate for truck = most 20 year old male's insurance rates.

T.Dot_E30
09-25-2007, 03:57 PM
1 year plate for truck = most 20 year old male's insurance rates.

For a month? or a year? I'm sure the government has its hands in the trucking businesses pockets as well....

Axxe
09-25-2007, 04:06 PM
For a month? or a year? I'm sure the government has its hands in the trucking businesses pockets as well....

Apple to apples, 1 year plate to 1 year insurance. Why do you think diesel is more expensive than gasoline, even though it only costs pennies a litre to make and transport? It's all road tax in the fuel.

King Luis
09-25-2007, 04:18 PM
i think that people that travel to downtown should take train, ttc, bus whatever. there are too many people driving downtown causing all the congestion.
i travel from oakville to markham almost everyday sometimes i work in streetsville but thats not the point.
i have a choice between taking, qew, 427, 401 OR qew, gardiner, 404/don valley. the problem in most area's is corners (where people need to turn on the highway), bridges (where people get scared that there is walls instead of a shoulder), AND on/off ramps or collectors where people decide to get on/off the highway at the very last second or the very first second they get or just merge with traffic at a slow speed slowing everyone down then changing lanes slowing down faster traffic.
so, to fix major traffic jams is to remove the drivers causing it. when every single lane is doing 100km/h, this creates traffic, when 2 lanes are doing 100 and someone is doing 80 in the left lane, theres traffic.
people need to keep the left lane clear for PASSING only. stay in the left lane unless your going to pass. the far left lane is to pass the passer.
trucks maintain a constant speed and stick to their lanes. they don't have too much of an effect on traffic.

Boots R
09-25-2007, 04:36 PM
Boots, I was talking about traffic jams and the fact that alot of which may be caused by transport trucks (along with potentially being more dangerous with such a high volume of cars on the road at peak times.) Just because you work in the transportation industry at a loading dock does not know you mean anything about highway traffic. The best example would be if you were a port-a-potty vacuumer, (which you could likely do well because you talk so much shit you would be used to the smell) boasting you were in the plumbing business, trying to give me advice on how to fix a sink.

How many docks have internet access?

When I have to co-ordinate shipments based on travel time, I know a little about highway traffic. I also drive on the SAME highways you are talking about. Take a wild guess, what you think the ratio is between trucks and Cars on toronto highways is? Wild guess?

Axxe
09-25-2007, 04:39 PM
"Oh, i'm sorry, was I too insightful for you?

Clearly you know nothing of how transportation works. Coming from someone who WORKS in the business, I would know. And from anyone who also works in the business, you would hear the same response."

Lol, go end yourself. Nobody likes you, and you are always wrong. You won't be missed.

StikiGreenZ
09-25-2007, 04:47 PM
e30bim - Do you think before you post or just simply want to say the opposite of everyone else?

e30bim
09-25-2007, 04:49 PM
How many docks have internet access?

When I have to co-ordinate shipments based on travel time, I know a little about highway traffic. I also drive on the SAME highways you are talking about. Take a wild guess, what you think the ratio is between trucks and Cars on toronto highways is? Wild guess?

Boots, I hope any company that is doing logistics for me is online at their loading dock so I can track where my parcels are. I am guessing the ratio is not available without being complete bullshit. If I was guessing I would say there are 27 cars for each truck on the road.

e30bim
09-25-2007, 04:55 PM
Stiki! Welcome aboard, I was waiting for your pot head ass! I say what's on my mind and I call bullshit out when I see it. I know it's easier to be a sheep in life, but nobody will remember you if you can't think of your own original thoughts/ideas. Secondly, I made this post to see what other people thought, not to be a dictator and force my opinion on anyone. Seeing others insight sometimes changes a persons opinion on a topic. This was the sole intention of this thread. If you don't have anything to contribute but the equivalent of a wet fart then shut your smoke hole.

StikiGreenZ
09-25-2007, 04:58 PM
Stiki! Welcome aboard, I was waiting for your pot head ass!

Why do u keep calling me a pot head? Do you even know me or know anything about me?

europrince
09-25-2007, 05:03 PM
The more this e30 guy flaps his mouth, the more of a goof he makes himself look.

VSanj
09-25-2007, 05:06 PM
Stiki! Welcome aboard, I was waiting for your pot head ass! I say what's on my mind and I call bullshit out when I see it. I know it's easier to be a sheep in life, but nobody will remember you if you can't think of your own original thoughts/ideas. Secondly, I made this post to see what other people thought, not to be a dictator and force my opinion on anyone. Seeing others insight sometimes changes a persons opinion on a topic. This was the sole intention of this thread. If you don't have anything to contribute but the equivalent of a wet fart then shut your smoke hole.

easy brother. You clearly are outclassed and outsmarted by the people on this board regarding your stupid suggestion.

The first thing most people do when they have run out of logical, educational arguments is resort to petty childish antics.

You clearly stated above that you wrote this thread to "SEE" what other people on this board think, but when someone disagrees with your stance you start acting like my five year old newphew.

Well done brother............your really giving alot of weight to your argument.

See kids................Stay in school!!!

Axxe
09-25-2007, 05:16 PM
Boots, I hope any company that is doing logistics for me is online at their loading dock so I can track where my parcels are. I am guessing the ratio is not available without being complete bullshit. If I was guessing I would say there are 27 cars for each truck on the road.

You have no clue what you are talking about.

StikiGreenZ
09-25-2007, 05:39 PM
You have no clue what you are talking about.

Your sig's a riot! Love that KFC StarTrek joke :D

Mystikal
09-25-2007, 07:10 PM
For the record, this is what I study. Transportation Policy, all of the ins and outs of all types of transport issues.

Tractor trailers are not a significant cause of congestion.

Traffic volume in general, lane closures, collisions, inclement weather...these things cause slowdown. Large commericial vehicles? Hardly an issue.

Jay

VSanj
09-25-2007, 07:24 PM
^^X2, im a urban studies major and i remember taking a course called applied transportation geography. Trucks are not a issue whatsoever. The volume of cars on our roads and the lack of proper infrastructure, along with a public transit system that is a joke for the size of our city. These are the major issues

INFAMOU$
09-25-2007, 07:26 PM

Got something to say about me too? Wow attitude bro chill out.. Although I respect your idea the fact that our economy will be hurting enough since our dollar is so strong that everyone will soon be buying in the U.S. Then you'll have nothing to worry about because our economy won't be strong enough to pay the truck drivers who are in your way.

King Luis
09-25-2007, 07:45 PM
For the record, this is what I study. Transportation Policy, all of the ins and outs of all types of transport issues.

Traffic volume in general, lane closures, collisions, inclement weather...these things cause slowdown. Large commericial vehicles? Hardly an issue.

Jay

your a a significant cause of congestion. :D jk

Boots R
09-26-2007, 12:26 AM

Jay

THANK YOU.

propr'one
09-26-2007, 02:48 AM
e30's are a cause of congestion, they're always broken down at the side of the road.

:P

e30bim
09-26-2007, 09:41 AM
Wow, glad to know e30's break down so much?? Lucky it's not my daily driver! Anyways I have owned one for 7 years now, and I have had things break, but it's never left me stranded at the side of the road dickweed : )

Why is everyone hating on e30's?

VSanj
09-26-2007, 10:48 AM
^^I think everyone is hating on you cause ur a asshole..........the E30 is a very nice vehicle IMO

StikiGreenZ
09-26-2007, 11:14 AM
^^I think everyone is hating on you cause ur a asshole..........the E30 is a very nice vehicle IMO

Ain't that the truth.

kamus
09-26-2007, 12:29 PM
As you can all see from my sig, my E30 only breaks down at the track. .. with a little help from my general lame-ness... "oo look a puddle, I wonder if it will be my friend.." :D

Axxe
09-26-2007, 05:13 PM
As you can all see from my sig, my E30 only breaks down at the track. .. with a little help from my general lame-ness... "oo look a puddle, I wonder if it will be my friend.." :D

Hahaha, it sure was close to that big rock!! Good thing I was able to push you out with Glen, we had no proper tow vehicle or chain *no-no*

punnzzells
09-26-2007, 05:58 PM
right lane only won't work. it has been publicly suggested to an outcry of how cars will get on and off the highway if the right lane is clogged with trucks.

manual vs automatic is a really silly idea. you're making stuff up as you go along. the type of tranny you drive has no bearing on how bad a driver you are or how quick you can stop. are you saying a manual civic will outstop an automatic porsche?

no, what I am trying to say is that people who drvie automatic cars pay less attention on the road... they are lazy drivers and 9/10 they are doing 15 different things while driving... people who are in manual trasmission cars get tired of shifting gears and tend to leave more space or a gap in congestion... 2nd gear roll... so traffic will move.

Johnny
09-26-2007, 07:28 PM
Don't know why I am bothering to get involved, but from commuting to and from Brampton from Toronto every day I think I have had my share of trucks. In Brampton they park three lanes across Steeles and bring everyone down to 50km in an 80 zone. They pull out into traffic, using two lanes, where there's no hope in hell of merging safely, and change lanes in a casual and often dangerous way, and they can do all this because they are trucks. Brampton's city planning has made it a city of trucks. They congest left turn lanes and pull all sorts of selfish road-blocking moves.
This is because truck drivers are about the same as car drivers. 98% of them are totally unaware or concerned about the people around them on the road. The difference is that trucks will always win. They are bigger, their bumpers don't match cars in height, and they take up too much room to allow for avoidance.
Just this last week, some truck slammed in to slower traffic, mashed three or vehicles and crushed a guy to death in his mini-van. Last Thursday night a guy at the top of my street was killed because a moving truck decided to wander across Avenue Road. A speeding BMW hit him, knocking the truck into another 540 that was waiting to turn right. The truck ended up on top the 540. One guy dead and three people in hospital. Trucks just don't mix well with cars.
Trucks also cause far more damage and wear to roads than cars, in a far greater proportion than their licensing fees reflect. We are used to an American "just-in-time" style of product delivery, when we could use rail and other transport much more effectively. Reducing their use may not help congestion much, but nearly every accident I can remember shutting down major highways and causing hell involved a truck.

Boots R
09-26-2007, 11:48 PM
Don't know why I am bothering to get involved, but from commuting to and from Brampton from Toronto every day I think I have had my share of trucks. In Brampton they park three lanes across Steeles and bring everyone down to 50km in an 80 zone. They pull out into traffic, using two lanes, where there's no hope in hell of merging safely, and change lanes in a casual and often dangerous way, and they can do all this because they are trucks. Brampton's city planning has made it a city of trucks. They congest left turn lanes and pull all sorts of selfish road-blocking moves.
This is because truck drivers are about the same as car drivers. 98% of them are totally unaware or concerned about the people around them on the road. The difference is that trucks will always win. They are bigger, their bumpers don't match cars in height, and they take up too much room to allow for avoidance.
Just this last week, some truck slammed in to slower traffic, mashed three or vehicles and crushed a guy to death in his mini-van. Last Thursday night a guy at the top of my street was killed because a moving truck decided to wander across Avenue Road. A speeding BMW hit him, knocking the truck into another 540 that was waiting to turn right. The truck ended up on top the 540. One guy dead and three people in hospital. Trucks just don't mix well with cars.
Trucks also cause far more damage and wear to roads than cars, in a far greater proportion than their licensing fees reflect. We are used to an American "just-in-time" style of product delivery, when we could use rail and other transport much more effectively. Reducing their use may not help congestion much, but nearly every accident I can remember shutting down major highways and causing hell involved a truck.

ANY accident on a highway causes shut down and total hell. There are more car accidents than truck accidents by far.

Also, you can't stick produce or flowers on a rail container. Products are time sensitive.

Axxe
09-27-2007, 09:58 AM
FYI a truck bumper is LOWER than your average SUV's bumper.

e30bim
09-27-2007, 09:59 AM
Boots you clit, stick to the topic at hand! Are the flowers or apples going to go bad if they lose 4 hrs a day of time they can't be on the hwy in the GTA? Why can't they time to be driving in business hours or in the middle of the night, or at a loading dock from 6:30-8:30am and 4:30-6:30pm??? I'm sure if this became law somehow the economy wouldn't slow down. We would begin to have a smoother running system and I'm sure business owners would just deal with it and work around it. You're just conditioned to think that everything is ok in todays society. You need to go open your mind and think outside the box. Smoke a joint with stikigreenz and open your mind brotha.

AceOfSpades
09-27-2007, 10:18 AM
Boots you clit, stick to the topic at hand! Are the flowers or apples going to go bad if they lose 4 hrs a day of time they can't be on the hwy in the GTA? Why can't they time to be driving in business hours or in the middle of the night, or at a loading dock from 6:30-8:30am and 4:30-6:30pm??? I'm sure if this became law somehow the economy wouldn't slow down. We would begin to have a smoother running system and I'm sure business owners would just deal with it and work around it. You're just conditioned to think that everything is ok in todays society. You need to go open your mind and think outside the box. Smoke a joint with stikigreenz and open your mind brotha.

Flowers don't only go through trucks. They will travel through planes and other QUICK means of transport, thats alot of travelling right there, as a result EACH AND EVERY MINUTE count for flowers. Thats the worst nightmare for the people who grow flowers...missing the plane and they are pretty much losing everything. its not an easy industry as you think!! flowers is not about the cheap knockoff ones, its all about the real deal and how fresh they are. Those guys would lose thousands if they show any sign of fatigue during travelling

europrince
09-27-2007, 10:34 AM
^ thanks for the business lesson.

Boots R
09-27-2007, 12:24 PM

Are you ****ing kidding me? The only place i've ever heard of having arrangements like that are the businesses on Sherbrooke Street in Montreal, and it's a ****ing HASSLE to deliver there. It wouldn't be a "smoother" running system.

You're just a lazy bitch who doesn't like to sit in traffic, and is deciding to blame truck drivers, and not the other 4 million people sitting in traffic with you.

**** you. Deal with it.

europrince
09-27-2007, 01:11 PM
what a turd this e30 guy is

VSanj
09-27-2007, 01:27 PM
^^X2, and we thought u were bad.........lol..........this guys taking your title brother.....joking!

europrince
09-27-2007, 01:39 PM
lol i like being a shit destruber but i was never close to being this bad ;)

Johnny
09-27-2007, 06:20 PM
ANY accident on a highway causes shut down and total hell. There are more car accidents than truck accidents by far.

Also, you can't stick produce or flowers on a rail container. Products are time sensitive.

There is a radical difference between two cars getting in an accident and a truck flipping over and shutting down three or four lanes. Never mind that if there is a fatality, it closes the road for hours.
As for produce and flowers, they aren't the only things in trucks.

And as for bumpers, the front might be lower, but I remember the nose of my 320i going under the back of a truck that cut me off - changed lanes without even looking. Nothing happened to my car, but it was a tense couple of seconds. If I hit that at speed, the back of the truck would have been in my windshield.

Even today, I was cut off twice by trucks on the way in, and two seperate trucks were blocking lanes on the way home.

woofster
09-27-2007, 08:11 PM
My recommendations to ease rush hour traffic:

1) Lanes need to be better layed out. In other words, transfer lanes between the Express/Collectors and between Collectors/on-offramps need to be consistent for each exit. This can be achieved by eliminating "disappearing lanes" and "driving lanes that suddenly become exits". 3 standard lanes. A 4th lane is created well in advance of each exit. On-ramp merging lanes should extend well into the highway as well, giving drivers a chance to merge without slowing down excessively.

e.g. How many times have you been in the left lane on the Collectors, only to have that lane all of a sudden become a merge lane onto the Express forcing you to switch over to the right?
Likewise, how many times have you been in the slow right lane on the Collectors, cruising along, only to find out that the lane is suddenly an exit lane off the highway?

2) More consistent highway speeds. It's the "difference in speeds" that create havoc amongst cars. If everyone cruised at, say, 120 kph, with a 1.5 car gap between bumpers, changing lanes and merging/exiting would be a lot more predictable and easier.

3) Driving etiquette needs to be changed. When cars need to merge, let them merge. Same with changing lanes. If following note #2 above, this shouldn't be too difficult.

I don't think trucks alone have a significant affect on overall traffic. Highway infrastructure, poor driving and sheer volume of vehicles on the road are the prime sources of the problem.

Mystikal
09-27-2007, 08:14 PM
My recommendations to ease rush hour traffic:

1) Lanes need to be better layed out. In other words, transfer lanes between the Express/Collectors and between Collectors/on-offramps need to be consistent for each exit. This can be achieved by eliminating "disappearing lanes" and "driving lanes that suddenly become exits". 3 standard lanes. A 4th lane is created well in advance of each exit. On-ramp merging lanes should extend well into the highway as well, giving drivers a chance to merge without slowing down excessively.

2) More consistent highway speeds. It's the "difference in speeds" that create havoc amongst cars. If everyone cruised at, say, 120 kph, with a 1.5 car gap between bumpers, changing lanes and merging/exiting would be a lot more predictable and easier.

3) Driving etiquette needs to be changed. When cars need to merge, let them merge. Same with changing lanes. If following note #2 above, this shouldn't be too difficult.

I don't think trucks alone have a significant affect on overall traffic. Highway infrastructure, poor driving and sheer volume of vehicles on the road are the prime sources of the problem.

You hit the nail on the head, repeatedly here.

Jay

Johnny
09-27-2007, 09:18 PM
You hit the nail on the head, repeatedly here.

Jay

While this may sound good, let's deal with reality. The GTA has pretty good lane allocations, and except for a few bizarre moments, are quite generous with mergers. One big problem with merging is that drivers never think to match speed. So entering a 100k zone at 60 causes problems. More bewildering is that the longer the merge lane, the less likely that a driver will use that space to accelerate to speed.
A uniform speed is even more far-fetched. Have you seen the way a person in a Toyota Camry drives? There are so many people on the road who seem totally surprised to be there, why imagine that they would notice they are driving 80 in the middle lane, or worse, while everyone around them makes dangerous moves to pass them?
The initial issue, trucks, is still a major problem. Logistics (a major euphemism for trucking) is major business. Therefore, the loss of a few innocent people in the name of commerce is acceptable because someone is making money. It may not be the truckers I see making turns in traffic while changing one of twelve gears and talking on a cell phone that are the problem. Maybe it is the people at computers pushing the drivers to make up time because they have a schedule to meet.

BimmerboyPH
09-27-2007, 10:46 PM
Heres a good idea, stop ripping out railway tracks and start transporting goods by rail.

Quack
09-27-2007, 10:52 PM
Heres a good idea, stop ripping out railway tracks and start transporting goods by rail.

might sound like a good idea, but more railroad tracks in the city is very bad for real estate.

Boots R
09-28-2007, 12:44 AM
There is a radical difference between two cars getting in an accident and a truck flipping over and shutting down three or four lanes. Never mind that if there is a fatality, it closes the road for hours.
As for produce and flowers, they aren't the only things in trucks.

And as for bumpers, the front might be lower, but I remember the nose of my 320i going under the back of a truck that cut me off - changed lanes without even looking. Nothing happened to my car, but it was a tense couple of seconds. If I hit that at speed, the back of the truck would have been in my windshield.

Even today, I was cut off twice by trucks on the way in, and two seperate trucks were blocking lanes on the way home.

Hence why all new trailers built have safety bars on the back of trucks.
http://advantagerents.com/nss-folder/pictures/trailer%20pic.jpg

There's no way your car was low enough to miss your hood. And if it IS, then ti's your fault for lowering your car so much.

Ripping out Railways? What? Yeah, because Vancouver Port doesn't have enough backlog.

It takes about 5 days to get a container from the ship to the rail, if not more. About 2 years ago the turnaround was 1 - 2 days. And it's not because of lack of Railways. Volume is increasing every year.

Besides, the time frame for railing freight doesn't always work. People have appointment deliveries that need to be met, they have product that needs to be in place for vital production. You can't wait for product to arrive on the rail, as you lose thousands of dollars a day in revenue, because a production line is down.

To give you an example. Rail from Vancouver to Toronto, 5 - 6 days. By Truck, 3 days if you have 2 drivers in the cab. By air, 1 day. But if it's important, and large, logistically it cannot fit on a cargo plane, or the cost would be exponential.

Toxic0n
09-28-2007, 01:55 AM
I just would like to add that I actually LIKE driving behind trucks in rush hour traffic. They always leave enough of a gap in front of them so they can just roll without stopping. If I'm behind them, I can do the same in 1st or 2nd. It's great.

abc12
09-28-2007, 09:05 AM
I just would like to add that I actually LIKE driving behind trucks in rush hour traffic. They always leave enough of a gap in front of them so they can just roll without stopping. If I'm behind them, I can do the same in 1st or 2nd. It's great.

i'm the opposite... rather get ahead of them.... since usually with my luck, there wheels are always lauching rocks and debris @ my car if i'm behind them.....

europrince
09-28-2007, 10:46 AM

I gather you are trying to put your civic engineering degree to good use and broke away from your urban planning job to give us your insight.

Oh, and how exactly do we get the product from the rail yards to the warehouses?

VSanj
09-28-2007, 12:31 PM
^^I spent five years in uni doing urban planning....................bloody useless degree........I used it to wipe my ass after a beer/chicken wing shit!

Arash
09-28-2007, 02:37 PM
I gather you are trying to put your civic engineering degree to good use and broke away from your urban planning job to give us your insight.

Oh, and how exactly do we get the product from the rail yards to the warehouses?

it is civil engineering not "civic engineering" :)

europrince
09-28-2007, 02:50 PM
^ Thanks for that correction. I nominate you to be the official spell checker of MaxBimmer.

Arash
09-28-2007, 02:53 PM
thanks do I get a cookie, too?

AceOfSpades
09-28-2007, 02:53 PM

love to do that as well, except in an auto...but not for long:cool:
Also hearing the honk of "fast" drivers was something usual for me. they revv their engine past me....then come to a full stop before the lights:rolleyes:

AceOfSpades
09-28-2007, 02:54 PM
thanks do I get a cookie, too?

no but you can suck my....

Arash
09-28-2007, 03:32 PM
no but you can suck my....

I'll correct that for you, since now I'm the official spell checker :) , YOU CAN SUCK MY COCK! pussy

AceOfSpades
09-28-2007, 03:33 PM
I'll correct that for you, since now I'm the official spell checker :) , YOU CAN SUCK MY COCK! pussy

spell check or not....you got the msg

VSanj
09-28-2007, 03:46 PM
^^what..............mad beef on the fourms nowadays

Arash
09-28-2007, 03:50 PM
^^what..............mad beef on the fourms nowadays

seriously, I got no beef with anyone. this guy he has psychological problems :confused:

StikiGreenZ
09-28-2007, 04:00 PM
Brawl at the meet 2nite!

Mystikal
09-28-2007, 04:12 PM

I do the exact same thing, I always drive behind a tractor trailer in rush hour (read: too slow to be throwing any rocks at me). The unknowing in cars race up and stomp on the brakes repeatedly, while the truck and therefore me will quietly and smoothly coast along at idle, saving gas, clutch, transmission, and brake wear.

I also do it myself quite often, and laugh at all of the drivers honking at me, racing around me just to stop ahead, etc.

Jay

e30bim
09-28-2007, 04:35 PM
I'm gonna be packin heat tonight just in case shit gets real

Chris de la Cruz
09-28-2007, 04:51 PM
another benifit for trucks on the highway is you can catch the draft behind them if you follow close enough.

jay knows what i'm talking about in the yaris :D

propr'one
09-28-2007, 05:18 PM
When i'm not in the BMW i always draft trucks. Trucks don't brake unpredictably, and honestly, i find that MORE truck drivers are BETTER drivers than car drivers. Does that mean ALL truck drivers are great drivers?
no.

but they've gone through more training/testing than most people on the road have.

Johnny
09-30-2007, 11:06 PM
All I can say is that you must be around totally different truck drivers than I experience every day, including the one a year ago that blasted me with his horn even though I had my flashers on in the right lane when I could only do 80 (TPS was wonky leaving me at 2400 rpm max).
Professional drivers? Just like the taxi drivers, especially the limos on the 409 who would never give up the inside lane for anything.

T.Dot_E30
09-30-2007, 11:22 PM
All I can say is that you must be around totally different truck drivers than I experience every day, including the one a year ago that blasted me with his horn even though I had my flashers on in the right lane when I could only do 80 (TPS was wonky leaving me at 2400 rpm max).
Professional drivers? Just like the taxi drivers, especially the limos on the 409 who would never give up the inside lane for anything.

you shouldn't be on the road with an un-safe car, esp the highway, you should have atleast stuck to local roads to not make it unsafe for you and otehrs.

Johnny
10-01-2007, 05:49 PM
you shouldn't be on the road with an un-safe car, esp the highway, you should have atleast stuck to local roads to not make it unsafe for you and otehrs.

Since I was only on the highway briefly, driving at a speed that many people drive at, this comment doen't make much sense. Does this mean that trucks who put on their flashers when they hit a hill should actually get off the road and use local roads? How was my car unsafe? I was driving well within the limits of rush hour, and no other vehicle had any problems with me.

mirek
10-01-2007, 06:37 PM

I got your back homie.

europrince
10-01-2007, 08:15 PM

What? You're going to Taco Bell for some burritos and gonna build up gas for tonight?

I think you meant to post this in the other speed law thread ;) That's where all your smart remarks are.

Bmwstylz
10-02-2007, 06:49 PM
I didnt read the whole thread, but the real problem is suburbia! People living in one place, and working far far away. its insanity. Driving through Toronto a few times this summer was enough of a taste of the traffic - its brutal.

I don't understand how people can spend 1hour + in their car, in a traffic jam, every day. What a waste of many hours of your life you will never get back again.

Check out "End of suburbia" documentary, pretty interesting.

europrince
10-02-2007, 07:19 PM
I didnt read the whole thread, but the real problem is suburbia! People living in one place, and working far far away. its insanity. Driving through Toronto a few times this summer was enough of a taste of the traffic - its brutal.

I don't understand how people can spend 1hour + in their car, in a traffic jam, every day. What a waste of many hours of your life you will never get back again.

Check out "End of suburbia" documentary, pretty interesting.

And where do you live? Sounds like you're a country bumpkin.