PDA

View Full Version : Xenon headlights issue

Redster
09-24-2007, 08:57 PM
My right side headlight (xenon only) doesn't work all the time, if it starts fine then after 30-35 minutes it just dies, and often when starting it flashed really fast for a few seconds and then dies. I tried changing the bulb and same thing happened..any ideas?

The only thing I could come up with was that "inverter" that converts 12V to whatever the bulb needs.

slemmer
09-24-2007, 09:59 PM
Sounds like the ballast is on the fritz. Have you tried swapping them around to see if it repeats for the other side?

Redster
09-24-2007, 10:03 PM
Sounds like the ballast is on the fritz. Have you tried swapping them around to see if it repeats for the other side?

I'll do that tomorrow, how hard is it to remove the ballast? I never disconnected it on the other side (the one not connected to the bulb/headlight).

Any tips when it comes to places to get a new ballast?

Redster
09-25-2007, 09:24 AM
ttt

rafiki
09-25-2007, 11:34 AM
The ballast is a pain to move from side to side, but not as bad as the igniter (that is inside the headlight assembly). The parts are available on eBay. I think I have a ballast lying around (which you could try if you want to trek to Toronto)...bought an igniter and ballast when I had similar problems, but my issue was the igniter. PM if you need.

Redster
09-25-2007, 11:56 AM
So I guess I could remove the headlight and move it to the other side, if it's the igniter that will work too, right?

Anything else that could be the problem?

Soldo
09-25-2007, 12:24 PM
More than likely it's your ballast, i had the same problem with my HID's and sure enough when i changed the ballasts, no more problems!

cisco911
09-25-2007, 12:33 PM
E39s have issues with the Ballasts for the Xenons. I would guess its that, but the dealer recommends changing both the balast and the igniter when one fails. They aren't cheap!

Redster
09-25-2007, 12:56 PM
Where did you get your new ballast?

I just called BK and new one is $430 (ballast), didn't ask about igniter.

Redster
09-25-2007, 05:19 PM
Ok, where/what is igniter?? Can't be IN the headlights because the cable from the ballast connects directly to the bulb..

So if anyone knows a good place to get one, or has it for sale, let me know.

propr'one
09-26-2007, 01:51 AM
I can get you one replacement ballast, that will have the D2S backing for your car. Rocco or charlie could wire it up for you.

PM me for pricing, it'll cost less than 1/4 of what you listed. It'll be the same brand as your fogs, and will replace the both the OEM igniter and OEM ballast.

maxguy
09-26-2007, 04:33 AM
I can get you one replacement ballast, that will have the D2S backing for your car. Rocco or charlie could wire it up for you.

PM me for pricing, it'll cost less than 1/4 of what you listed. It'll be the same brand as your fogs, and will replace the both the OEM igniter and OEM ballast.

replacing the ballasts ftw. i picked this kit (http://www.neverburnout.com), but they don't sell individual ballasts. so i say GO SPONSORS.

rafiki
09-26-2007, 09:40 AM
This is from an E46 and I am guessing E39 is a different set-up. Ballast (the big metal box), Igniter (white module that is housed inside the headlight assembly), and connector from Igniter to the D2S bulb.