PDA

View Full Version : Oil on the spark plugs...???

kemestry
09-18-2007, 10:48 AM
So I'm doing regular maintenance and I notice that there is a bit of oil on some of the plugs. I was wondering the reason for this, if anyone had come across it before, and how it was fixed.

I'm having the 5 second starts and once I cleaned this up, I noticed that it got a little better. But its back so I want the problem fixed for good. What can I do??

I'm also dripping a bit of oil when I park. I don't know if this has to do with the plug and washer being loose, but I'm thinking that it might also be related to the problem above.

Thanks,
Mike

everlast
09-18-2007, 11:34 AM
Sounds like it could be oil leaking from the valve cover. Get a new valve cover gasket which is about $30, pull the cover off, adjust the valves while you're in there and replace with the new gasket and you should be good *if that's the problem*.

ShortShifter
09-18-2007, 11:46 AM
Sounds like it could be oil leaking from the valve cover. Get a new valve cover gasket which is about $30, pull the cover off, adjust the valves while you're in there and replace with the new gasket and you should be good *if that's the problem*.

Where can I get a valve cover gasket for $30??

everlast
09-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Seems to me that was about dealer price with club discount two years ago when I did mine. That was the m20b27.

T.Dot_E30
09-18-2007, 11:50 AM
Where can I get a valve cover gasket for $30??

http://bmaparts.com/item.wws?mfr=REINZ&sku=BMW010240&price=11.56&orpartno=1087165&cookieID=26M0MXMVI26M0MYC88&drillid=9&image=http%3A%2F%2Fcatimages2%2Esophio%2Ecom%2Fweb app%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2Fimc%2Fimages%2Ftn%2 F11121730229%2Ejpg

Online for $11.56 im sure you have have it shipped here for under $30.

That or try calling part source, im sure you can find it for around that price, they really aren't that expensive.

BMW03
09-19-2007, 01:36 PM
I have the exact (EXACT) same problem, and I am about to order the valve cover gasket. My only question is how hard is this to do. You pull off the cover, then put the new gasket in, but like said above how do you adjust the valves?

T.Dot_E30
09-19-2007, 01:39 PM
I have the exact (EXACT) same problem, and I am about to order the valve cover gasket. My only question is how hard is this to do. You pull off the cover, then put the new gasket in, but like said above how do you adjust the valves?

Buy a bentley manual or search online for DIY articles.

BMW03
09-19-2007, 01:48 PM
thanks, would you rate the valve adjustments as somewhat easy, or is it possible to really mess it up if you just go at it?

ShortShifter
09-19-2007, 02:11 PM
Well for my m50 its $82 shipped...yeah thats not happening!

T.Dot_E30
09-19-2007, 02:27 PM
Well for my m50 its $82 shipped...yeah thats not happening!

Where you looking at a headgasket or something? for an m50 i see $23.93 + shipping.

http://bmaparts.com/item.wws?mfr=IMPORT&sku=BMW041220&price=23.93&orpartno=1092132&cookieID=26N0SHGY126N0SKB1C&drillid=9&image=http%3A%2F%2Fcatimages2%2Esophio%2Ecom%2Fweb app%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2Fimc%2Fimages%2Ftn%2 F11121738701K%2Ejpg

BMW03
09-19-2007, 02:53 PM
ya I just did the same thing I searched for an m50 and I got like 30+shipping, 80 bucks!?!

ShortShifter
09-19-2007, 04:34 PM
ya I just did the same thing I searched for an m50 and I got like 30+shipping, 80 bucks!?!

Yeah but I fooled around with it and I found if you pick Armed Forces Canada its 23.93 which means the shipping is free. But im afraid to put in my credit card info...

T.Dot_E30
09-19-2007, 04:42 PM
Yeah but I fooled around with it and I found if you pick Armed Forces Canada its 23.93 which means the shipping is free. But im afraid to put in my credit card info...

Call them, I deal with patick all the time.

everlast
09-19-2007, 04:45 PM

Why are you afraid of a credit card on the internet? You have hundreds of times more risk using your credit card at a gas station than on the internet, no kidding.

ShortShifter
09-19-2007, 04:52 PM
Why are you afraid of a credit card on the internet? You have hundreds of times more risk using your credit card at a gas station than on the internet, no kidding.

Actually I have less risk when im at the gas station because the credit card is in my hand...but the reason I dont want to input it is because its saying the shipping is free...seems suspicious to me so I dont want to get a surprise on my credit card bill saying it cost an extra $150 to ship it. Catch my drift?

everlast
09-19-2007, 05:08 PM
Wrong. Your card is not in your hand, it is in the hands of the gas attendant. When they swipe your card, they have physical access to the card making it easy to steal the data. Furthermore, if you go in and sign your card, they have a copy of your signature. At the very least, you stuck the card into a machine they run and have access to alter.

The online purchases are known as 'no card present' and are much riskier for the merchant. Since they cannot prove it was you who typed in the number, a 'charge-back' or charge refute nearly always goes in the favour of the customer.

Imagine how quickly a company would be out of business if they arbitrarily charged $ on cards without consent. The merchant accounts would be cancelled within a day or two. Mastercard / VISA / Amex take that shit seriously.

ShortShifter
09-19-2007, 05:43 PM
Wrong. Your card is not in your hand, it is in the hands of the gas attendant. When they swipe your card, they have physical access to the card making it easy to steal the data. Furthermore, if you go in and sign your card, they have a copy of your signature. At the very least, you stuck the card into a machine they run and have access to alter.

The online purchases are known as 'no card present' and are much riskier for the merchant. Since they cannot prove it was you who typed in the number, a 'charge-back' or charge refute nearly always goes in the favour of the customer.

Imagine how quickly a company would be out of business if they arbitrarily charged $ on cards without consent. The merchant accounts would be cancelled within a day or two. Mastercard / VISA / Amex take that shit seriously.

I always use fast pay which means the card is always in MY hand. I have never once lost or have been overcharged at the gas station and neither has anyone I know. I have many friends who have been totally screwed over by transactions over the internet. The #1 source being ebay with no refund. Not small stuff I mean thousands of dollars.

Yes businesses could get in trouble for overcharging...but then it comes down to customer vs company in court. Whos got more money for the better lawyer? Its a sad world we live in. These are just the facts.

everlast
09-19-2007, 06:58 PM
I'm not talking about people you know, or I know, or your friends who got screwed for thousands of dollars on ebay. (Which must suck for them.) I'm talking about national and international statistical averages. Typically, the highest fraud rate happens when the card is inserted iypnto a foreign device or places in the hands of someone else (restaurants ALWAYS take your card, and then you leave your signed slip on the table unattended. Everybody does.)

I also deal with NCP chargebacks on a near daily basis. People literally buy something, have it shipped to a friends place and refute the charges. All the time. I think I'll do all my xmas shopping that way this year. :D

A n y w a y, the site listed is trustworthy. I've bought from them as has much of the bimmer community at large. :)

El Gato Liso
09-20-2007, 01:05 AM
your piston rings may be gone

also their is a very high change that there is a vacuum leak

if your exhaust is shooting out black, not blue, then it is a vacuum leak that can surly mess up your idle. i speak from experience.

pull out ur plugs, clean them GOOD
lick in some injector cleaner and high octance fuel...and make sure you got no vacuum leaks