PDA

View Full Version : Airbag help!

Soldo
09-18-2007, 01:39 AM
Hey guys, i recently swapped out my seats over the weekend and on my way home tonight i wondered if my seatbelt thing effected my airbag light. So when i got home i noticed that the airbag light's don't light up. Don't know if its a burned out bulb, or previous owner unplugged it.

Anyways, i read the codes and this is what shows up.

-Seat belt buckle switch, driver/passenger
-Seat occupancy detector, passenger

Now the thing is i dunno if that light was on before or after i swapped my seats out, but my main concern is if thats the code i'm getting does that mean the airbag WON'T deploy if i have a passenger in the car?

If anyone can help me out i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thanks

BMW03
09-18-2007, 09:17 AM
sounds like something came unplugged accidently when you put in the new seats. I would first look for a loose wire, but I wouldn't know that much here anyway.

INFAMOU$
09-18-2007, 09:26 AM
why do you want the airbags to work anyways? wear your seat belt that's all that matters. First thing I do in every e36 i get is disconnect the airbag and pull the bulb from the cluster.

Soldo
09-18-2007, 10:19 AM
Well, i was in a head on collision with my first BMW. The airbags hurt like a bitch, thought i broke my nose but they also saved my life. I prefer to keep them.

I don't think anything came unplugged with the seats.

cisco911
09-18-2007, 10:27 AM
What seats did you put in the car? If you had the car running or with the key on when you removed the seats, you will have fault codes because it noticed that the sensors were unplugged. Also, if you got used seats, it could be that the sensors on the seats are f*cked. I would clear the codes and drive it around to see if the codes come back.

Soldo
09-18-2007, 10:37 AM
Ya, thats the thing, i didn't turn on the car. Like i said i'm not sure if the light was on before or after i swapped the seats cause my airbag light doesn't turn on. Infamous must have owned my car before me, haha.

I did install it with used seats, and i removed the passenger occupancy detector and replaced it with the one that was on the old seats. I still haven't driven it, so i'll see later tonight.

My only concern is i want to make sure my airbags will still go off just cause a sensor is screwy!

dtthiaga
09-18-2007, 10:54 AM
why do you want the airbags to work anyways? wear your seat belt that's all that matters. First thing I do in every e36 i get is disconnect the airbag and pull the bulb from the cluster.

Considering how bad a BMW e36 does in a frontal collision (1.5 Stars), I wouldn't want to disconnect the airbag. I would get it checked out by RMP or other sponsor.