PDA

View Full Version : Rust Remover

Zorin
09-13-2007, 09:20 PM
Hi,

I am currently resto-modding 318i and I am looking for a good rust remover in liquid or gel form. Any suggestions other than your standard HD, Canadian Tire, Parts Source products ?

Thanks,

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/11/web/2831000-2831999/2831989_8_full.jpg

2002guy
09-13-2007, 10:02 PM
replace the sheet metal nothing works better

Zorin
09-13-2007, 10:08 PM
I am aware of that :-) and I have done that as well.
I need it more for spot removal and general cleaning.

2002guy
09-18-2007, 09:55 PM
the grind it down to bare metal but go an inch or so wider and just do a realy good clean up of the general area and dont cheap out on primer and paint use good stuff

Zorin
09-18-2007, 10:22 PM
Again, thank you and I am aware of how to cut out rusted area.
As to primer, I am using Tremclad Primer. My question is more about a chemical that can be used in tight places with small surface or sport rust.

FuryriderX
09-19-2007, 12:11 AM
the rust check stuff in the green can works pretty good for stuff like that, plus it stays put and gooey afterwards. (doesnt trap water underneath)

i know its a CT product, but its seemed to work good for me

Marky_mark
09-19-2007, 12:58 AM
You can also go to a uap napa store that sells auto body supplies and get it from there that would be your best bet to get a really good rust remover
Good luck with our resto-modding

Eurostyle
09-19-2007, 01:06 AM
Again, thank you and I am aware of how to cut out rusted area.
As to primer, I am using Tremclad Primer. My question is more about a chemical that can be used in tight places with small surface or sport rust.

Since you know all that, why are you asking!? Go to any body shop and see if they use anything else then cut/grind/sandblast/acid bath methods...Anthing else is pointless, the cancer will always come back...

For your project a small sandblaster will do the job...

Zorin
09-20-2007, 05:01 PM
Since you know all that, why are you asking!? Go to any body shop and see if they use anything else then cut/grind/sandblast/acid bath methods...Anthing else is pointless, the cancer will always come back...

For your project a small sandblaster will do the job...

Yes, I know that and my question was not about cutting out rust but about rust remover. I was asking more to hear what other people used in a way of chemical removal of surface rust or rust in hard to get spaces. Thank you for input.