PDA

View Full Version : Tachometer installation

InsaneBimmer
09-07-2007, 10:05 AM
Since swapping in the B25 into my 325e I obviously dont have enough on the stock tach anymore so Im looking to purchase a simple inexpensive tach to take over that role. My question is is there a cetain one that I should look for and is there a how to for this sort of installation?

e30jones
09-07-2007, 10:44 AM
why don't you just purchase a tach from an i and swap it? It would look a lot better IMO, but its up to you in the end...

InsaneBimmer
09-07-2007, 11:13 AM
I was considering that but I am not sure why the original gauge cluster gave out in the first place. Im also wondering what kind of a horror it is to pull the dash apart to get to the cluster.

Aveman
09-07-2007, 03:54 PM
I was considering that but I am not sure why the original gauge cluster gave out in the first place. Im also wondering what kind of a horror it is to pull the dash apart to get to the cluster.

You don't pull the dash, you pull the trim around the cluster and it comes out with the steering wheel turned a bit.

What I did for my car was grab a 88 325is cluster, opened it up and put my speedo and fuel gauge in it and put it into my car, works pefectly in my 85 325e. I think if you get a 325i cluster from a 88+ car you can just take the coding chip out of the front and put the rpm gauge out of it into your cluster.

InsaneBimmer
09-07-2007, 04:33 PM
Is the tach not working likely to be the gauge itself or is it something in line somewhere. I dont want to go through the hassle of swapping the tach if thats not going to solve my problem of it working at all lol

Aveman
09-07-2007, 07:12 PM
If I had to guess it's the gauge cluster itself, like the batteries in the SI board etc. Go to a pull it yard and pay them 20-30 bucks for a cluster and see what happens.

BMW03
09-09-2007, 03:32 PM
the cluster comes out pretty easy in my opinion and I think that would be a lot better looking and working if you were to get and I tachometer

InsaneBimmer
09-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Im not one for HUGE aftermarket ricer tach's. The plan was to just mount a smaller one above the column but I really like the clean lines and I dont want to disrupt that. Im just gonna bite the bullet and go find one. Maybe I'll fine another clutch fan in the process...