PDA

View Full Version : Where to go for Roll Cage

addbhp
02-08-2002, 02:13 PM
I'm looking to get a 1/2 cage installed in my 91 318is. Any suggestions who I can talk to for quotes. Judging by earlier reads, I'm staying away from Raven Motorsports. Will likely talk to Mantis tomorrow, but who else can I talk to. The car sees regular track days and 10-14 solo 1 events.

KIRASIR
02-08-2002, 04:21 PM
Another place to look at

http://www.cscracing.com/

Originally posted by addbhp
I'm looking to get a 1/2 cage installed in my 91 318is. Any suggestions who I can talk to for quotes. Judging by earlier reads, I'm staying away from Raven Motorsports. Will likely talk to Mantis tomorrow, but who else can I talk to. The car sees regular track days and 10-14 solo 1 events.

EMPOWERD
02-08-2002, 07:18 PM
HA! CSC actually makes the cages for RAVEN... they just act like a middle-man and wash their hands in the profits!

The absolute best (and most reasonable by far) place to go for cages is O'Brien Motorsports in Brampton. I was actually just there 2 hrs ago! The owners name is Ron and he fabricates all the cages for the Nissan Sentra Mosport Series, as well as some ALM cars and tons of Club Racing Bimmers (as well as my cage). He charges $1800.00 for a 6-pnt (like mine) and $900.00 for a 4-pnt (like mine from the B-pillar back). Give him a call Mark, you won't be disappointed... he actually has an E30 M3 in there now being worked on. He might be booked up till April though, so book soon. He's located at Strathern Ave, behind the "Art of Noise" on the SE corner of Dixie and Steeles.

Phone # (416) 803-1284

P.S. Don't bother with Ernie... his prices are out in dreamland!

http://www.dtmpower.net/featured_car/september/Dscn5878.jpg

addbhp
02-09-2002, 10:36 AM
Thanks Randy, those prices seem a little more reasonable. Will try and get there today, your actually the second person I spoke to who's recommended him.

EMPOWERD
02-09-2002, 10:45 AM
Mark,

As busy as they are... I can't guarantee that he'll be in on the weekend. Best bet is to try and call first. Wouldn't want you to drive there for no reason. Leave a messege.... he checks them all the time, but usually can't hear the phone because of all the noise in the place

GR8 Ride
02-09-2002, 07:14 PM
Originally posted by empowerd
HA! CSC actually makes the cages for RAVEN... they just act like a middle-man and wash their hands in the profits!

The absolute best (and most reasonable by far) place to go for cages is O'Brien Motorsports in Brampton. I was actually just there 2 hrs ago! The owners name is Ron and he fabricates all the cages for the Nissan Sentra Mosport Series, as well as some ALM cars and tons of Club Racing Bimmers (as well as my cage). He charges $1800.00 for a 6-pnt (like mine) and $900.00 for a 4-pnt (like mine from the B-pillar back). Give him a call Mark, you won't be disappointed... he actually has an E30 M3 in there now being worked on. He might be booked up till April though, so book soon. He's located at Strathern Ave, behind the "Art of Noise" on the SE corner of Dixie and Steeles.

Phone # (416) 803-1284

Once again, more misinformation. CSC DOES NOT build cages for Raven.

All CSC does is provide the tube, and bend the tube. Steve (little Steve, not Gailits) actually builds the cages.

But, I'd have to agree with the O'Brien Motorsports recommendation. If I were building a cage again (thankfully, I'm not), I'd be inclined to go there. Great reputation, and nobody I've talked to has heard a bad thing about him.

John's prices are a fair chunk higher than O'Brien's (roughly $3500-4000 for a 6-pt cage), but he's not against customization. Mine was very pricey, but fully ties in the roof, A and B pillars, and door frame. It's essentially a 100 pt cage, in that it's fully tied to the chassis.

O'Brien does have another benefit; he'll build a cage to suit your existing interior as well, as opposed to a stripped interior. John typically wants to deal in completely stripped, track only cars. Ronnie will build a cage that allows you to keep your existing rear seat in place (useless, but still there). He's also about the most honest man you'll ever meet.

Talk to Alex over at Teutonic. He has one of Ron's cages (4 pt) in his M3. Beautiful job, and a matching Estoril blue paint job. Alex has his entire interior still in the car, and the cage blends in nicely.

Pat

EMPOWERD
02-09-2002, 07:55 PM
Originally posted by Bad-Karma

Once again, more misinformation. CSC DOES NOT build cages for Raven.

All CSC does is provide the tube, and bend the tube. Steve (little Steve, not Gailits) actually builds the cages.

Pat,

I've actually seen with my own eyes some RAVEN cars at CSC getting their cages built (maybe John was too busy?) and CSC admitting it.... not misinformation! This was a while back, John might have his act together now and is actually getting his hands dirty? Anyways, I still don't know where the hell he comes up with these ubsurd prices? Go to Ron's shop now and see Bill. C. friend's E30 M3 with a full 10-pnt (100 pnt?) cage to compare workmanship.

GR8 Ride
02-09-2002, 09:37 PM
Yeah, about 18 months ago or so, John was having CSC build his cages. In fact, I don't even think he orders tube from them anymore (better prices elsewhere).

They do bend the tube there however, but John hired little Steve to build his cages about 18 months ago. For just a kid, he's damn good.

The design is all done internally at Raven, and just programmed into the equipment at CSC for bending.

I've seen O'Brien's work, and I've always been impressed with their workmanship. Factor in the price, and they're pretty hard to beat.

Some items I've found John to be extremely competitively priced on; others, just out to lunch.

We talked about it once, and he basically just states that he charges MSRP on most parts, which obviously the manufacturer and/or upstream vendor has built-in LOTS of margin. Most dealers will forego 40 point markups to maintain a reasonable 10-15 margin. Hence, John's high prices.

If you get to know him well enough, he's negotiable. I worked out a hell of a deal on my Gruppe N suspension.

Pat

thinair
04-07-2009, 12:12 AM
Sorry to revive this, but is O'Brien still a good place to have a cage built? I've been trying to get a hold of someone at McMahan Autosport in Ohio for a 4-pt roll bar but to no avail.

craz azn
04-07-2009, 12:30 AM
^ Yes, but last I heard, hes super busy...

Gleb
04-07-2009, 07:32 PM
One of Ronnie's latest cages. Highly recommended!

JazzM
04-07-2009, 07:56 PM
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113795&highlight=cage

T.

cool4u
04-10-2009, 02:03 AM
are autopower cage that bad?? If they are chassis welded?

///Maluco
04-10-2009, 10:30 AM
Sorry to revive this, but is O'Brien still a good place to have a cage built? I've been trying to get a hold of someone at McMahan Autosport in Ohio for a 4-pt roll bar but to no avail.

I highly recommend Raven cages. Steve (the fabricator) does incredible work. His skill and workmanship is without a doubt, top notch!
I see him working on new cages all the time.
I understand they also make a bolt-in half cage for E36's to accommodate those who don't plan on keeping their cars for a long period of time but need the function of a cage for their track events.

I'd say give them a try and go see what they have to offer.