PDA

View Full Version : My Z3 car door got pranged Friday evening

stiffy
09-04-2007, 06:45 PM
My car door got pranged Friday evening - a guy backing out of another parking spot got the driver's door with his CTS. I got back to my car about 5 minutes later, and the guy had the decency to wait around. I took it to Budds collision today - the repair bill, all in, is $2450! They have to get a new door, do the paint etc. The good news is that the guy will take car of it himself. I think he felt like crap, and has been very apologetic. It'll be better than new once they get done, I guess. It was hard to be mad at the guy, I mean, shat happens. I almost couldn't drive it this weekend - I hate driving damaged goods - but finally gave in - it was too nice this weekend to not take it out. It should be all repaired by Friday. Oh well...

Darkness95m3
09-04-2007, 06:58 PM
Props for the Cadillac owner.

PS sorry to hear.

Gamite
09-04-2007, 07:11 PM
what do you mean he's gonna take care of it? He's gonna take it to his own body shop?

stiffy
09-04-2007, 07:13 PM
No - it's getting repaired at Budd's - I wouldn't even think about letting anyone other than a BMW dealer body shop touch it. What I meant was he's paying for the repair - he prefered to not put it through insurance. Works for me.

StikiGreenZ
09-04-2007, 07:24 PM
I'd rather get a shop of my choice to fix it than a dealership.

Dealership body work sucks 80% of the time... very few dealership body shops do work as good as the independants.

stiffy
09-04-2007, 07:38 PM
The way I figured it, an independent might try to repair rather than replace - and that wouldn't cut it with me. I did think that Budd's would simply re-skin the door, but apparently BMW doesn't offer skins - only the full door. Not having experience dealing with bodywork (fortunately), I decided the dealer was the place to go. I also figured that Budds works on BMW's, Jag's, Land Rovers etc. - a bunch of high-end stuff, so should know what they're doing. I hope...

Marky_mark
09-04-2007, 07:48 PM
The body shop the your taking your car to is a good body shop its owned by Budds and if they work on high end cars then the have to be a good body shop all you have to tell them is your very picky and you want your car to look like it did before it got damaged.
Sorry to hear about the sad news on your Z3

M3ti Compact
09-04-2007, 07:57 PM
$2400 for that little damage is absolutely insane, I really wonder why the guy agreed to pay that out of pocket. You are getting way overcharged, and letting someone else foot the bill anyways.

rendered
09-04-2007, 08:07 PM
Get another qoute from European autobody! that seems really high!

stiffy
09-04-2007, 08:11 PM
As far as being overcharged - perhaps, but I'd rather take it to Budds rather than another body shop, just so it's done to BMW spec. I'm sure the independents are all very good, but these guys specialize in BMW's and other high-end cars. Even though someone else is paying, I did try to see about lowering the price - I do feel bad that the guy will be out of pocket that much.

Thanks Mark - I guess I'll have to get you to do another polish job to make the new door match the rest, after you made it look so good. One of my friends should be contacting you soon to get their cars done - if there aren't too many maybe you could do the Z3 at the same time. Email me when they contact you - they're around the corner from me.

rendered
09-04-2007, 08:14 PM
All european autobody does is Maranello BMW, BMW mississauga, and Ferrari of Ontario cars! all high end as well.

stiffy
09-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Get another qoute from European autobody! that seems really high!

I honestly never thought of European Autobody - I suppose if I had posted this over the weekend that might have been an option. At the end of the day, Budd's is very close, and they've already ordered the door. Next time, hoping it will be by choice rather than need, I'll consider other options.

Gamite
09-04-2007, 08:21 PM
european autobody is the best. But guys it doesn't matter, he's getting the whole door replaced, which is better than any bodyshop, even european. And he's not paying for it.

Darkness95m3
09-04-2007, 08:37 PM
No - it's getting repaired at Budd's - I wouldn't even think about letting anyone other than a BMW dealer body shop touch it. What I meant was he's paying for the repair - he prefered to not put it through insurance. Works for me.

Budd's what can I say.
Make sure you check everything out when you pick up your car.
I had to go back 4 times with mine, finally just gave up.
For a BMW dealership they lack one thing "Service after the SALE"

stiffy
09-05-2007, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the heads up - I'll be sure to go over it with a fine-toothed comb to make sure it's perfect. I'm hoping that since it's a new door, and all they have to do is paint and re-assemble it, it should be relatively trouble-free.

StikiGreenZ
09-05-2007, 09:51 AM
Key thing you want to watch for is the color matching. Make sure you look at the car in sunlight when the whole car is CLEAN to make sure they matched the color; if it's metallic, it's even harder to match dead-on.

VSanj
09-05-2007, 10:55 AM
if its a new door than theres no issues with body work, i would watch for fitment and door color..........since the door will have brand new paint it is gonna be a biatch to color match it.

Nice to hear that the caddy owner stuck around.........judging by the straight gash on the door he got you with his rear tailight area..........damn cadillac and there diamond cut design....lol

///M3 ZCP
09-05-2007, 12:35 PM
First of all, i give props to the guy who banged your door because he was nice to stick around and let YOU choose a bodyshop of your choice.

Most ppl out there who hit you will argue with you for hours "oh that's just some small damage, my friend's bodyshop can fix that, bla bla bla bla...". Like stfu, if you hit someone you have no right to choose the shop unless the guy that you hit agrees with you. And then they always beg to settle it privately but they don't agree to your bodyshop estimate, so in the end it was time wasted and both parties go through insurance.

Arash
09-05-2007, 01:34 PM
$2450 for that damage? are you ****ing insane? why change the whole ****ing door for that? I mean, it was so nice of the guy to wait around for you to come, thats showing ethics on his side, least you can do is get 3 quotes and let him choose which shop.

what if he just drove off, which 90% of ppl would've done, what were you gonna do now? think think

Quack
09-05-2007, 01:49 PM
I'd rather get a shop of my choice to fix it than a dealership.

Dealership body work sucks 80% of the time... very few dealership body shops do work as good as the independants.

majority of dealership bodyshops are independent bodyshop, I worked at a independent bodyshop & half of the cars we repaired came from dealerships, the only company that I know that uses their own bodyshop is Mercedes-Benz, pretty much all the others use independents bodyshops.

StikiGreenZ
09-05-2007, 01:54 PM
majority of dealership bodyshops are independent bodyshop, I worked at a independent bodyshop & half of the cars we repaired came from dealerships, the only company that I know that uses their own bodyshop is Mercedes-Benz, pretty much all the others use independents bodyshops.

I work for Dean Myers Chevrolet Corvette.... we have our own body shop... lots of GM dealers have'em.

Quack
09-05-2007, 02:04 PM
that's great, but like I said majority of them don't, most imports don't have their own bodyshops, & most european dealers don't have their own bodyshop except for Benz, the bodyshop I worked in Thornhill repaired cars for Toyota, Honda & BMW, like others mentioned European Autobody repairs cars for Ferrari, BMW etc.

I was commenting on what you said here"

"Dealership body work sucks 80% of the time... very few dealership body shops do work as good as the independants."

you can't just say independent bodyshops are better when dealers uses the same independent bodyshop.

stiffy
09-05-2007, 02:05 PM
if its a new door than theres no issues with body work, i would watch for fitment and door color..........since the door will have brand new paint it is gonna be a biatch to color match it.

Nice to hear that the caddy owner stuck around.........judging by the straight gash on the door he got you with his rear tailight area..........damn cadillac and there diamond cut design....lol

The colour is non-metallic black so the match should be reasonably close. I'm being told that it will be shinier to start, but after a couple of washes, and a polish, should be difficult to tell the diff.

stiffy
09-05-2007, 02:09 PM
$2450 for that damage? are you ****ing insane? why change the whole ****ing door for that? I mean, it was so nice of the guy to wait around for you to come, thats showing ethics on his side, least you can do is get 3 quotes and let him choose which shop.

what if he just drove off, which 90% of ppl would've done, what were you gonna do now? think think

Why change to whole door? Because I'm not going to let someone try to bang out the damage and end up with something wrong. If this was a 1993 Buick it's different story. If the door skin only was available, then I'd replace only the skin but that wasn't an option. While he certainly deserves props for sticking around, he also had the option of putting this through insurance, and he chose to pay for it himself. Remember, his car hit my car.

M3ti Compact
09-06-2007, 01:22 PM
First of all, i give props to the guy who banged your door because he was nice to stick around and let YOU choose a bodyshop of your choice.

Most ppl out there who hit you will argue with you for hours "oh that's just some small damage, my friend's bodyshop can fix that, bla bla bla bla...". Like stfu, if you hit someone you have no right to choose the shop unless the guy that you hit agrees with you. And then they always beg to settle it privately but they don't agree to your bodyshop estimate, so in the end it was time wasted and both parties go through insurance.

It's not unreasonable for the other party ask that you bring it to another shop, of your choice, for a second opinion. For all he knows, you also might have brought it to a "friend".

///M3 ZCP
09-06-2007, 01:51 PM
It's not unreasonable for the other party ask that you bring it to another shop, of your choice, for a second opinion. For all he knows, you also might have brought it to a "friend".

There's nothing wrong with getting a few estimates to compare, that's ok with me. I know a few reputable shops (other than dealerships) that do quality work for insurance so I have no problem going to them for an estimate as well. But when the guy starts arguing how "oh a little buff job will do" or "that's a small fix under $100", then that gets annoying. Everything costs time and money. The reason why i would choose a dealership is because they don't favor any side and at least I won't be leaving my car at some unknown shop who could do some illegal stuff. I'll agree that dealerships charge an arm+leg, but what can you do? The moment you choose a bodyshop other than a dealership, then they'll be accusing you of trying to scam them.

dtthiaga
09-06-2007, 02:16 PM
It is your right to have the car fixed where you want. And, I would certainly not leave the car with the shop the guy recommends, because it could be “his friend”.

However, out of courtesy, I would have gotten 3 different quotes for bodyshop of “my” choice.

The funny thing is, he could have gone through insurance, and you would be worse off. Parking lots accidents are most often considered 50/50 at fault.

I’ve seen it happen. Guys hits a car, is nice enough to give his info. The car that was hit gets three quotes of $900, $1500, $2000.

Person goes with $2000 dealer quote, and the guys who hit the car says forget it, go through insurance and walks away.

You are lucky he's paying this out of pocket!!!

stiffy
09-06-2007, 04:08 PM
I spoke with an insurance agent who explained that the guy who hit my car (I was not in it at the time, and it was parked properly in a spot btw) would supply me his insurance info, which I would supply to my insurance co. My insurance would deal with his insurance, I would not have to pay a deductible, off we go. I suggested to the guy that was an option, he said no, he'd rather pay me directly. I didn't ask why, but can only assume he must already have insurance coverage/cost issues.

I'm certainly in favour of saving him money, if possible, but my first interest is getting my car fixed properly.

rodo
09-06-2007, 04:43 PM
Budds collision FTW

Arash
09-06-2007, 07:30 PM
I don't know, it just appears to me that the body shop is taking advantage of the situation here. If you went through insurance I doubt the body shop would get that much money for that little damage, only the skin is damaged, so only the skin needs to be changed not the whole door. If the guy wants to be an asshole and go through insurance you'll be in trouble, because it will show as 50/50 fault on your insurance record. anyways goodluck.

Ryousuke
09-07-2007, 12:44 AM
My car door got pranged Friday evening - a guy backing out of another parking spot got the driver's door with his CTS. I got back to my car about 5 minutes later, and the guy had the decency to wait around. I took it to Budds collision today - the repair bill, all in, is $2450! They have to get a new door, do the paint etc. The good news is that the guy will take car of it himself. I think he felt like crap, and has been very apologetic. It'll be better than new once they get done, I guess. It was hard to be mad at the guy, I mean, shat happens. I almost couldn't drive it this weekend - I hate driving damaged goods - but finally gave in - it was too nice this weekend to not take it out. It should be all repaired by Friday. Oh well...

Sorry to go off-topic but what Wax do you use? For your car.

stiffy
09-07-2007, 12:25 PM
I don't know, it just appears to me that the body shop is taking advantage of the situation here. If you went through insurance I doubt the body shop would get that much money for that little damage, only the skin is damaged, so only the skin needs to be changed not the whole door. If the guy wants to be an asshole and go through insurance you'll be in trouble, because it will show as 50/50 fault on your insurance record. anyways goodluck.

BMW doesn't sell only the skins - I certainly checked that out. If done through insurance, it wil be shown as 100% his fault - my ins. co. will deal with his ins. co. I checked all fo this out before making a move to be certain of the facts.

stiffy
09-07-2007, 12:27 PM
Sorry to go off-topic but what Wax do you use? For your car.

Not sure - marky_mark details my cars for me and does an excellent job. He brings all the supplies, so I'm not sure which polish he uses.

mpower1226
09-07-2007, 02:13 PM
Not sure - marky_mark details my cars for me and does an excellent job. He brings all the supplies, so I'm not sure which polish he uses.

Stiffy, if you want, you could come by my shop and I could give you a quote on the damage with changing door.

Maybe that would be an other option. At the shop, we currently have 2 max members refinishing their rides as we speak.*th-up*

kerisabe
09-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Wow lucky you. Props to the Cadillac owner. I wish we have more people like him around the GTA.

2slow4door
09-24-2007, 01:39 AM
prang = coke

thinair
09-24-2007, 07:05 AM
If the guy wants to be an asshole and go through insurance you'll be in trouble, because it will show as 50/50 fault on your insurance record. anyways goodluck.

Why would it be 50/50 fault if no one was in the Z3? It doesn't work that way. If they were both in their cars with the cars running it would be a different story.

VSanj
09-24-2007, 10:17 AM
^^Im not too sure on this one, but i heard that parkign lot accidents are ALWAYS judged 50/50 by insurance as it is private property.........not sure if it B.S, sounds like B.S but thats what i have heard

stiffy
09-25-2007, 09:29 PM
I spoke with an insurance broker and here's the deal. If someone damages another vehicle in a parking lot, and stays to advise the owner of the damaged vehicle, he should provide his insurance info which the owner of the damaged vehicle provides to his insurance company. There is no deductible charged, as all costs are borne by the insurance company of the driver.

Now, if the driver doesn't stick around, the owner of the damaged vehicle should go to the accident reporting centre to get a police report, which he then provides to his insurance company. The damaged is deemed to have been caused as part of a 'hit and run'. Deductible still applies.

Fortunately in my case the other guy stuck around and chose to pay for the repair out of pocket. A totally stand-up guy. He mailed me the cheque the day I gave him the details on the repair quote (and Canada Post promptly damaged the envelope, delivering in a plastic envelope with apologies printed on it.) I was one of the lucky ones.