PDA

View Full Version : Back wheel grinding sound

Whip_lash
09-03-2007, 05:23 PM
Hi, lately my back right wheel has been making alot of noise when Im turning (right and left). Almost sounds like a bearing, but I had a mechanic check if it is the bearing he said that the bearing is fine, a few people have told me that it might also be the differential or the axle or bushings, one guy even said that it might be the hand brake. It doesnt make any noise when Im driving straight but only when turning, you can hear it pretty loud when turning slowly.

Its been getting worse day by day and also another problem which I think is related to that is when i push in the clutch to shift gears you can hear a like a clank sound comin from the back right side. My freind said he had this problem before and it was the bushing, so I dont know if this could be related to the above problem. Any input would be greatly appreciated... thanks guys.

Aveman
09-03-2007, 06:11 PM
I had that sound also when turning, seemed like if I turned the wheel all the way to the right or left and moved slowing it would be at it's loudest. Almost sounded like tire rubbing. I recently swapped my differential and the noise is gone.

Whip_lash
09-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Yep thats exactly what happens when I turn mine all the way. Looks like Ill be needing a new Diff. BTW does anyone know how to check what diff my car has, its a 90 325is... I heard some people say they came with a 3.73 diff but Im not sure if mine has one.

FuryriderX
09-03-2007, 10:09 PM
im pretty sure the iS had a 3.73 - its likely a LSD too. they're pretty common, you can find one easily.

if you get on the ground, on the back plate on the diff, on the passenger side, there's a little metal tag that shows the ratio. scrape it off and just read the numbers. that will tell you for sure.

Whip_lash
09-04-2007, 09:19 PM
Well I just checked and it says 3.73... I think im just gonna take it to bimmersport to get this thing checked out.

InfiniteDice
09-06-2007, 02:17 AM
Your backing plates are rusted out and the parkign brake is letting go.

A possibility.

M.