PDA

View Full Version : think i f&*$%# my new paint job

new2bmw
09-01-2007, 10:15 PM
car was painted wednesday, thought it would be hard enough to put a soft blanket over fender while working on engine. No, when i took the blanket off the clear had the fabric imprinted in it and had no shine, like it had been pressed down to the base coat. am i pooched or can this be fixed? help please

new2bmw
09-02-2007, 01:17 AM
lookin for advice and help here, where is everyone , its usually realy good here.

propr'one
09-02-2007, 01:21 AM
wait a few weeks for the paint to cure, (leave it in the sun for a few days) then buff the paint with a polishing cloth and some mild polishing compound,

Darkness95m3
09-02-2007, 12:49 PM
When it cures after a few weeks you can wet sand the clear.
That's what people do to show cars.
Before you try this do research on the net, be careful not doing it properly will make things a lot worse. Also try it on a small area before you try on the entire car.

It's not hard to do however it is very time consuming. To do my car it took over 40 hrs.
I have done this to my 92 318is 10 years ago and the car to this day gets lots of compliments, oh yes I sold it to my friend 2 years ago.

collisiontek
09-02-2007, 09:25 PM
If you put a cover over the fender and it left an impression I think the shop that did the work did not put enough hardener or to much hardener when mixing the paint job might not cure look for small holes in the paint. It is when the surface coat is cured but the product under neath is still cureing it is called solvent popping. If you take a good quality photo I might be able to give you some better insight.

new2bmw
09-02-2007, 11:12 PM
thanks, i will try to get a photo this week of the paint and the spot that got pooched. I appreciate it.

collisiontek
09-03-2007, 09:37 AM
The paint should of been cured enough to assemble after it was painted look for finger prints around areas they would have assembled, they would of had to touch the paint. you will have to look close most people miss it.