PDA

View Full Version : speeding ticket on bathurst

summit425
09-01-2007, 12:21 AM
last day of august..

friday..

damn.. I got a speeding ticket on bathurst..

71 in 50 zone.

ok... there are 2 lanes.. and I was on the second lane.. and found a white van turned on emergency light and stayed on the 2nd lane.

I changed lane and there was a car so I speeded up and changed the lane...

damn.. police was hiding behind the truck. wtf... I asked him to show me the rader gun and he keep repeating that there is no suck law that have to show but he will. Meanwhile he was keep writing the ticket right next to me.

He said that if you want I will show you and I waited.. he gave me a ticket and he left. I called him "sir, aren't you suppose to show me the rader gun?"

he said that I told you that I will show you but you just stayed in the car.

wtf.. isn't he suppose to bring the gun to me and show it to me?

how I am suppose to get out of my car and looking for the rader gun???

weird thing is there is no trial date.. he just circled where the date should be written and there was no date he wrote down.

fine is $105 something..

well should I hire the lawyer for it?? or should I just fight by myself?

there was a guy who was passing him on the other side and he suddenly shout "hi officer~ he is my favorate officer~!"

seems like he knew that officer very well. anyway..

yeah it was speed trap but well I was speeding just to change the lane.

I have a strong feeling that he won't show up but well I don't know the court date..

should I go there in person and make an appointment with procecutor?

well this is my first speeding ticket in canada. do you think this will increase my insurance rate? otherwise I will just pay for it. $107.xx..

Meegis
09-01-2007, 12:51 AM
First off, they do not give u a court date unless u request it, OR you were summoned, but thats for speeding above 50 over.

Also, if you fight it, you have no grounds other than hoping he doesnt show. My suggestion, if you do fight it, get a ticket fighter, your english is not the greatest, and as much as I am not making fun of you in any way, the court will attack you and make you sutmble all over your words and you will just be taking more time to pay what you were given.

Last but not least, the officer is NOT obligated to show you the radar. If you wanted to see, it is your choice to go check. He does not need to bring it to you, but you do have to ask permission to view.

summit425
09-01-2007, 10:05 AM
can someone suggest me a good ticket fighter?

abc12
09-01-2007, 10:41 AM
by chance did this happen near bathurst and st.clair where you cross the bridge?

BmW1819
09-01-2007, 11:24 AM
yea bathurst and st clair always have traps lol :( is there any points??

woofster
09-01-2007, 08:39 PM
I'll let you know what happens after my Oct. 19th court date for a similar speeding ticket I got in March of this year.

It's Sunday morning and I'm cruising northbound on Bayview Avenue, just north of Finch. It's a downhill grade. Near the bottom 2 cruisers were camped out in the driveway of a school. Bang. One by one they were waving people over, it was like clockwork. I got snagged going 60 in a 50 zone!

jaystyles
09-02-2007, 11:35 PM
Save your money and fight it yourself. 71 in 50 is easy and no problem in Toronto.
1) Get a court date.

2a) If its over 8 months (which it will be in the City of Toronto) file paperwork to have it thrown out. As a Canadian you have the right to fair and speedy trial -8 months is not considered speedy (as per the Canadian Chater of Rights and Freedom Act.) This means start filing this paperwork 4 months before your trial and not the night before.

2b) If you decide not to bother with filing for it to be dismissed, then when you show up for court, GO EARLY, and see the crown attorney before the judge enters the courtroom. Ask the crown to plead guilty to a lesser charge. Say 15km over. So you plead GUILTY to speeding 65 in a 50 zone. This is still about a 70 dollar ticket but will not affect your insurance rates.
-Pleading guilty to a lesser charge will only work if the cop didnt bump it down at the scene of the crime. If so, they will argue that you already got a break. Thats why its always important for you to make sure he doesnt do that (i know, sounds weird) but you have a better chance of fighting it in court.

* Golden rule * when you are pulled over and the cop asks you why he pulled you over, NEVER say yes. Always say NO. Dont admit you knew you were speeding.

* Another Rule: will the officer show up? **** YEAH. He is scheduled to show up to traffic court, its part of his duties as a cop. Don't think he wont. Prepare for him showing and it will be a bonus if he doesnt.

ADDITION: i fight parking tickets too. I'm still waiting on a court date for parking tickets i got three years ago. Make them work for your tax dollars.

///M3 ZCP
09-05-2007, 01:05 PM
Save your money and fight it yourself. 71 in 50 is easy and no problem in Toronto.
1) Get a court date.

2a) If its over 8 months (which it will be in the City of Toronto) file paperwork to have it thrown out. As a Canadian you have the right to fair and speedy trial -8 months is not considered speedy (as per the Canadian Chater of Rights and Freedom Act.) This means start filing this paperwork 4 months before your trial and not the night before.

It can get throw out for being over 8 months for what? Just to receive the notice-to-appear or the actual scheduled court date? I remember hearing if you get a ticket sometime near Christmas, it takes forever for the City of Toronto to process trial requests because it's a busy time of the year.

jaystyles
09-05-2007, 01:48 PM
It can get throw out for being over 8 months for what? Just to receive the notice-to-appear or the actual scheduled court date? I remember hearing if you get a ticket sometime near Christmas, it takes forever for the City of Toronto to process trial requests because it's a busy time of the year.

The amount of tickets issued will slow the system down plus other factors (ie. amount of people fighting them, cop trial date scheduling, etc.) yes, xmas is usually busier. The 8 months is from the date of infraction to the trial. The longer the wait, the better it looks for you.

When you get a trial date they take forever for them just to send the notice to appear. When you do get the notice, the date will be far off too. But there are forms to fill out to have the ticket thrown out based on the length of time you'll have to wait to get your day in court. This is not an automatic process and you have to fill the forms out. If my memory serves me correctly there is like a 40 or 50 dollar fee to file the motion.

Jaystyles

Quack
09-05-2007, 01:55 PM
can someone suggest me a good ticket fighter?

try giving him a call & tell him your situation

Dan Johnson

Traffic Ticket Center
298 Sheppard Ave. W Suite 200
416-580-9295

Meegis
09-07-2007, 11:43 PM
Ask the crown to plead guilty to a lesser charge. Say 15km over. So you plead GUILTY to speeding 65 in a 50 zone. This is still about a 70 dollar ticket but will not affect your insurance rates.

Actually, all tickets affect insurance, it just depends on your policy. getting 15 over or getting 49 over are the exact same thing to an insurance company. They are both minor charges and both count as a speeding ticket.

-Pleading guilty to a lesser charge will only work if the cop didnt bump it down at the scene of the crime. If so, they will argue that you already got a break. Thats why its always important for you to make sure he doesnt do that (i know, sounds weird) but you have a better chance of fighting it in court.

Actually, they cannot fight you on this motion. First of all, it is a prejudice against you and yes, it has been fought in the past, and yes it has been won.

* Golden rule * when you are pulled over and the cop asks you why he pulled you over, NEVER say yes. Always say NO. Dont admit you knew you were speeding.

* Another Rule: will the officer show up? **** YEAH. He is scheduled to show up to traffic court, its part of his duties as a cop. Don't think he wont. Prepare for him showing and it will be a bonus if he doesnt.

I agree with this part.

jaystyles
09-08-2007, 12:05 AM
First off. I only give advice on tried and true experience. I have a 5 star driving record (read: CLEAN RECORD) for a reason (i fight and win 95% of all my cases).

As for 15km and 49km being the same? I dont know what the laws are in Florida, but i do know that in Ontario, Canada.. 15km is not registered on the auto insurance bureau's database. 16km and over are. Plus, Ontario makes a difference between the two and the officer will even confiscate your license on the spot for a certain amount over (I don't know exactly what that is now) and your speeding now becomes a indictable offence [read: criminal and not civil crime]).

Thanks for the pointers though.