PDA

View Full Version : BMW CEO Fuming over Chinese Knock off BMW X5

Robb
08-28-2007, 11:03 PM
http://www.ceosmack.com/2007/08/28/bmw-ceo-fuming-over-chinese-knock-off-of-popular-x5-suv-pics

http://www.ceosmack.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/08/suvclone.jpg

PS: I wish they would knock off a Crx body style. hahaa

cool4u
08-29-2007, 12:42 AM
chinese made knock off dumplings made with 'steamed cardboard' and another chinese made kock off EGGs made with fake white plastic for its shells. I can assure that soon they will start clonning people. fake bush would make a hit.

Big T
08-29-2007, 01:33 AM
Too bad you would be crushed into a million pieces if you ever crashed the chinese clone

jeffrie
08-29-2007, 01:36 AM
Hopefully they copied everything....
Safty/power & styling @ chinese pricing.

Gamite
08-29-2007, 09:19 AM
seen it in person

http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66468&stc=1&d=1172475770
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=66470&stc=1&d=1172475786

BMW_7
08-29-2007, 09:47 AM
It is always like that, but as long as the Chinese knock offs don't sell in areas where BMW has established a market where it threatens their sales, they can't do shit. Chinese can sell all their knock offs in China all they like but we surely won't see any here, I'm sure the Chinese know that too, they're not dumb.

And I love how people bitch about Chinese copy this copy that, unsafe cars crushing people to death. Yeah ok. It's nice to play armchair philosopher but guess what, it's safe and cheap in CHINA and it is sold there, you won't even be smelling something like that on our shores.. much less see it.

Cars are VERY expensive there. American cars for example. are very much in style among rich people such as Buick and Chevys. It's a different world out there..

Gamite
08-29-2007, 09:49 AM
actually BMW is pretty established in China. It's only in the smaller towns that you see the copy cars.

In the big cities, the cars are mostly, VW, BMW, Audi and Buick.

BMW_7
08-29-2007, 09:59 AM
actually BMW is pretty established in China. It's only in the smaller towns that you see the copy cars.

So you don't see the copy cars in the city?

The CEO crash test

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rjF-QoAiZBg&NR=1

Looks like its quite an offroad preformer, unlike the X5 :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXzlKRh-w6M&NR=1

phawx
08-29-2007, 10:02 AM

Wow... it's got knock-off 5 series headlights too.

BMW has a market in China, but it doesn't quite compare to VW and GM yet. All the cabs in Shanghai are VWs, at least when I last visited 3 years ago.

Apparently the cardboard buns report was supposingly a hoax by the TV channel there to increase viewing for their newscast - but I'm sure after word got on the street people would start copying the style right away LOL. They're quick on the uptake that way...

Gamite
08-29-2007, 10:18 AM

The CEO crash test

hardly, they're all mainstream.

all the cabs are still VW Santana's.

Prash
08-29-2007, 10:52 AM
anyone on what engine those clones have?

5JABIJ8
08-29-2007, 11:26 AM
Let me guess. they advertise for the knockoff!!... saying !!!

"The X5 the german's wish they made"

Suburu.. STOLEN IDEA's from german engineering...

the suburu has the boxer engine idea taken from Porsche
The all wheel drive system from Audi..
Brembo Brakes,and rotors again taken from Porsche
and finally handling taken from BMW...

All the above collaborated into one car they call Suburu WRX STI.... amazing what u can do with germany finest technology put into a tin metal and shit ass interior design...

Bartacus
08-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Bah! Who the hell cares if someone copies an X5? The X5 is a piece of shit anyways, and was only produced to please fat, overfed North Americans who need bad handling, unsafe, gas-guzzling trucks to haul their fat kids and fat asses around. BMW never should have made that piece of junk. My old stealership guys used to tell me that you couldn't pay em enough to drive an X5. Worst, most unreliable vehicle in BMWs lineup, according to them.

Bart

Darkness95m3
08-29-2007, 07:15 PM
And I love how people bitch about Chinese copy this copy that, unsafe cars crushing people to death. Yeah ok. It's nice to play armchair philosopher but guess what, it's safe and cheap in CHINA and it is sold there, you won't even be smelling something like that on our shores.. much less see it.

I tend to disagree with your statement.
They might not be able to sell a car in North America however most of the items you buy today and you use in your everyday life comes from China. From what I understand and experienced personally it’s Not Safe.
250,000 car tires recalled manufactured in China. I guess it’s all good.
Antefreeze found in toothpaste, guess what it was a knock of “Crest”.
Formeldahyde found in clothing.
Lead paint found in Toys and children jewelry.
Knock of wheels so badly warped that you could not balance the tires.
These are just to mention a few.
There is nothing good that comes from China. The people there are doing what they can to survive; the problem is with the government.
This month alone there has been over $10billion recall on Chinese product shipped in to the USA.
Australia and New Zeeland I believe have put a complete ban on all Chinese product the reason they stated “We feel the product coming from China put’s our people at risk” gee I wish our government would do something for us.
The biggest problem is the North American consumer; they go for the cheap stuff. They think they are saving money, they are for now. Wait another 5years when we have no more manufacturing jobs in Canada and we are unemployed or working at Wal-Mart for $7 an hour. While some people in China get wealthier by the day, why because they have taken over all of our manufacturing jobs.

Yeah I think that knock off X5 will be the only car I will be driving in 5 years because I can’t afford the real thing, since I work for Wal-Mart making $7 per hour.

Gamite
08-29-2007, 07:27 PM
I tend to disagree with your statement.
They might not be able to sell a car in North America however most of the items you buy today and you use in your everyday life comes from China. From what I understand and experienced personally it’s Not Safe.
250,000 car tires recalled manufactured in China. I guess it’s all good.
Antefreeze found in toothpaste, guess what it was a knock of “Crest”.
Formeldahyde found in clothing.
Lead paint found in Toys and children jewelry.
Knock of wheels so badly warped that you could not balance the tires.
These are just to mention a few.
There is nothing good that comes from China. The people there are doing what they can to survive; the problem is with the government.
This month alone there has been over $10billion recall on Chinese product shipped in to the USA.
Australia and New Zeeland I believe have put a complete ban on all Chinese product the reason they stated “We feel the product coming from China put’s our people at risk” gee I wish our government would do something for us.
The biggest problem is the North American consumer; they go for the cheap stuff. They think they are saving money, they are for now. Wait another 5years when we have no more manufacturing jobs in Canada and we are unemployed or working at Wal-Mart for $7 an hour. While some people in China get wealthier by the day, why because they have taken over all of our manufacturing jobs.

Yeah I think that knock off X5 will be the only car I will be driving in 5 years because I can’t afford the real thing, since I work for Wal-Mart making $7 per hour.

That's a hugely biased statement influenced by current media.

I think you missed a lot of things that come from china that people respect for quality. Where do you think iPod's are made? California? Just because it comes from china, doesn't mean the quality is down the drain. It depends hugely on the manufacturer. I'm not defending china because I'm chinese, but simply stating near facts.

China is a growing society and has a lot to learn, especially when it comes to quality control. I do agree that products that are designed and produced by China do have a tendancy to be low in quality. However, many things that come out of China are not designed by the Chinese. Many north american companies go to china to produce their items. I bet you that 90% of the things sitting in front of you have been manufacturered there. Your statement "Nothing good comes from china" is jumping the gun a bit, don't you think?

Gamite
08-29-2007, 07:39 PM

The CEO crash test

oh yeah? check out this crash test, Cherry amulet. Worst one I've seen yet

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5kQGAK550LE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5kQGAK550LE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

denisemichel
08-29-2007, 07:46 PM

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/5kQGAK550LE"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/5kQGAK550LE" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

that is one shit as car , -5 star crash rating *shiner*

Arash
08-29-2007, 07:57 PM

omfg thats ridiculous!

Darkness95m3
08-29-2007, 08:27 PM
That's a hugely biased statement influenced by current media.

I think you missed a lot of things that come from china that people respect for quality. Where do you think iPod's are made? California? Just because it comes from china, doesn't mean the quality is down the drain. It depends hugely on the manufacturer. I'm not defending china because I'm chinese, but simply stating near facts.

?

I stand corrected; the only good that came from China for me was my wife and her family.
And no it's not because hugely biased statement influenced by current media they are the facts.

Yes IPods are made in China so are 80% of the items we use today. I guess that's why IPods don’t last more than a year; having said that something that costs $3.50US to make and last for a year is good, however those people who had these units catch on fire while in their pockets will tend to disagree with you. Hawing said that just because it’s made by “Apple” does not mean its good.

I expect the new tire that I put on my trailer will not separate its tread on the highway doing 105kmh and then having me fight with 8 tones of trailer and load during rush hour with my knuckles turning bare white as I’m trying to bring the vehicle to a safe stop. During an inspection I found out that my new tire less than 2 weeks old the tread had de-laminated however the 3 original on the trailer that are over 4 years old and been subjected to all those years of sun and cold have managed to survive guess what they were made in the USA the new tire “Made In China”

I purchased a 15” metal cut off wheel from Princess Auto, the first initial contact the disk made to metal it shattered into thousands of pieces; I installed another disk from the same company after 5 cuts it also shattered into thousand pieces. However the 15” Dewilt disk that I installed lasted me through 500 cuts without issues. However I guess having thousands of pieces of material that can cut through metal flying through the air is safe.

The bottom line is the product produced in China is nowhere near the quality or is it as reliable of the produced in USA, Canada, Germany, Italy etc. We complained about the product coming from Mexico; guess what that product was 10 times better than the one comes from China.

I don’t blame the people in China I blame us. We are the cause of the poor quality that comes from China. They are forced to compete amongst themselves to produce product for the lowest possible price. This has a huge effect on the quality that comes out.
Yes it’s the big companies located in North America that are the cause of the bad product coming from China, all they care about is how fat their bank accounts get. We have lost hundreds of thousands of manufacturing jobs to companies located in China because it costs more to produce the product here, however the product that came out from these manufacturing plants was safer and if the product failed it was recalled to protect the public.

So let me rephrase my original statment “There is nothing good that comes from China.” To “There is no good product that comes out from China”.

Gamite
08-30-2007, 01:52 AM
I still think your statement is unjust.

I will base it on products that sit in front of me. For example:

Logitech. I personally believe they're the best products for keyboards and mice etc.. And guess what? They're all made in China.

Yamaha, one of the best in audio equipment. Made in China

Saitek: Rated best flight simulator joystick. Made in China

Propron'e Klight kit :P Great kit, hasn't had any problems whatsoever. Made in China

Enermax: rated one of the most stable PSU's on the market. Made in China

I could go on, but you get my point. Good things come from china. Not neccessarily designed by the chinese, but they were manufactured there.

hioctane
08-30-2007, 08:44 AM
Chinese martial arts are cool....... :)

BMW_7
08-30-2007, 09:57 AM

Yup, saw that one too... Thanks to Youtube Chinese automakers are getting excellent publicity. Note it was a russian car magazine performing the test too.. Don't think Western countries would touch that car with a mile stick....

Meegis
08-30-2007, 09:59 AM
I like chinese food.... on occasion.

Darkness95m3
08-30-2007, 10:59 AM
I still think your statement is unjust.

I will base it on products that sit in front of me. For example:

Logitech. I personally believe they're the best products for keyboards and mice etc.. And guess what? They're all made in China.

Yamaha, one of the best in audio equipment. Made in China

Saitek: Rated best flight simulator joystick. Made in China

Propron'e Klight kit :P Great kit, hasn't had any problems whatsoever. Made in China

Enermax: rated one of the most stable PSU's on the market. Made in China

I could go on, but you get my point. Good things come from china. Not neccessarily designed by the chinese, but they were manufactured there.

Oh don’t even start with computer parts that come from China.
I guess those power supplies with fake CSA stickers are real good, especially when it blows up your computer or catches it on fire. Lets not forget those video cards that over heat because the fans fail in the first few months.
Or let's not mention those fake USB handy drives from Corsair that came out from China.

Yes Logitech is a good product we sell well over 300 pieces a month, within 10 months 20% come back for repair, I guess that's better than the no name crap that has a return rate of 80% within the first 6 months.

15 years ago systems lasted well over 10 years and some are still running today, made guess what not in China. There are those that were made in China that have lasted 5 or 6 years however they are far to few.

When I purchased my first ratchet tool set from Canadian Tire 25 years ago I paid good money and I still have the set today made in Canada. The new set I purchased 2 years ago and returned the retched head twice for repair is made in China.

The problem is most people on this board are too young to understand and can't compare the product from 20 years ago built in North America compare to product made in China today.

You can keep saying whatever you want, I'm stating a fact. Companies whom I deal with state the same fact the product coming from China is not good, however to compete with Wal-Mart and Dell we are forced to take the same path and purchase items from China. However I have more and more customers coming into my store and asking for computers that are not manufactured in China, I wonder why that is.

Also let’s not forget the Honorable Chinese government who have stated that they have problems with quality control in their plants and when that does not work and we still have bad product coming out they blame it on everyone else but themselves. I guess when you have young children working in factories it’s very hard to keep high level of quality control. Oh but I guess there is no 5 or 6 year olds working in Chinese factories.

Until the day that I pick up a Chinese made product and it does not blow up in my face, catches on fire or lasts twice as long as the manufacturer warranty on a consistent basis then and only then will I say there is something good coming from China.

phawx
08-30-2007, 11:35 AM
Until the day that I pick up a Chinese made product and it does not blow up in my face, catches on fire or lasts twice as long as the manufacturer warranty on a consistent basis then and only then will I say there is something good coming from China.

Someone's been having some really bad experiences with Chinese products I suppose.
I won't comment on the blowing up and catching on fire, as I'm sure there are a lot of cases of that happening and being Chinese myself, I'm sometimes scared to buy veggies grown in china in fear that they use rat poison for fertilizing.
The one thing I would like to comment on is the whole thing about longevity of products - I don't think that's so much China's manufacturing problem than companies reducing their manufacturing tolerances.
The vacuum cleaner my parents bought when I was 3 broke down when I was 19. It's perfect for the consumer, but I think the market analysts eventually figured out that if you make a product that lasts for 16 yrs, they have to wait 16 yrs for that customer to show up again at their doorstep. And with engineering the way it is today, products can be created with a predetermined lifespan. That's why we have warranties that last for 3 yrs and products that last for 3 yrs and a month - quicker turnover.
Anyhow, back to cars.

Gamite
08-30-2007, 11:37 AM
I'm not comparing north american standards to chinese. I'm just saying that you can't generalize every single product that comes out of china.

Saying that nothing good comes out of china is like saying that everything that comes from germany is good, or everything that comes from NA is good. or whatever.

You just said that 80% of Logitech products are good. You've just admitted that something good comes out of china.

Quack
08-30-2007, 12:12 PM
my Sony speakers are made in Japan, the last set of speakers Sony made that were from Japan, I compared them to their newer models made in China & I can't tell the difference, even the build quality is the same, but than again these Sony speakers suck in general:D

ChrisTO
08-30-2007, 12:46 PM
let me throw in something else into the mix besides quality.

No one can deny that more and more products are being made overseas at the expense of local jobs. So I'm guessing that whether the products are good or not people have to look for a reason or create propaganda so consumers will start avoiding Chinese made products and start buying locally made goods again.

The media has given alot of attention to this recently and who knows who is really funding this or feeding the media(maybe NA companies that are on the verge of going out of business?). Given that a large percentage of our consumer products are made in China...maybe the percentage of failed or poor quality products is actually still quite low but given the large number of imported products we are seeing issues with more and more?

Put another way the overall number of Chinese made products that are bad or poor quality maybe only 10% of the overall number of goods we import? But given that maybe 80% of our consumer goods comes from there of course we'll see more and more reports of bad products?

No one can deny that given our global economy local companies have to compete whether they like it or not. Go back 30-40 years ago when Japanese products were known for their bad quality but low prices. Now everyone rants and raves about how great a Japanese product is great.

In the not too distant future Korea may overtake Japan in car quality and low prices and who knows maybe a few decades later China may overtake Korea and somewhere in the mix India will be in there as well.

Remember the days when people would buy an old Japanese car and beat it up in public with sledgehammers in protest? History repeating itself but in a different form now?

BTW - i too avoid Chinese made products for now. I'd rather support locally made goods if possible. (which is pretty darn hard these days - dumb ass consumers demands everyday low prices instead of quality products)

saix
08-30-2007, 12:56 PM
I think you guys should be saying that things designed in china are terrible.

Darkness95m3
08-30-2007, 07:12 PM
I think you guys should be saying that things designed in china are terrible.

I think you are right.

Rampage
09-01-2007, 12:39 AM

holy shit:eek:

and Chryslers going to import Cherrys...great

Alezone
09-02-2007, 02:28 PM
Regarding the recent recalls on Chinese products, please also consider politics; foreign exchange rate for USD, increasing trade deficit that the US is facing, etc.

The US is fearing that the Chinese Yuan (RMB, China currency) is becoming too strong... it's not the problem with the products, it's the problem with the US government.

I personally have friends running factories in China producing products for Wal-Mart and other large US department stores, they want cheap stuff that cost pennies to manufacture. It's what they ask for. And before all the products going on the shelves, they were tested and accepted by the retailer.

And boom, now the US government is playing games against China, where does the blame go? The corporation. And then what they do? Transfer the problem to the poor, hard working manufacturers in developing countries trying to make a few % off its products.

The corporations simply return their TESTED & ACCEPTED products and even sue the manufacturers, a lot of people have gone broke overnight because these bullcrap recalls. You may say that it's their own fault for using the violated chemical and materials in the production process, but the buyers also have the obligation to monitor the quality of the products before they even hit the shelves.

FYI, a business man in china just killed himself 2 weeks ago, because he lost everything in one night from one of these BS recalls. The US claims that the toys that his factory produced has contained 0.06% of some material over the accepted limit, and all his shipments will be returned, which was over 4 million USD.

Darkness95m3
09-02-2007, 03:07 PM
The US is fearing that the Chinese Yuan (RMB, China currency) is becoming too strong... it's not the problem with the products, it's the problem with the US government.

What are you talking about?
The Chinese government is intentionally keeping their currency weak. The world organization has been complaining about these for the past few years. If the Chinese Government allows their currency to get any stronger they will lose millions of jobs and billions of dollars.

What the USA and Canadian government should do is make the importers such as Wal-Mart responsible for any recalls and watch how fast the product gets better.
Sorry you are wrong the blame sits on both sides. The companies start producing good product and during their manufacturing process cut the corners so that they can make more money.
Yesterday we were at my brother in laws house for a family get together.
This same topic came about, they were also talking about how their families in China do not want to buy anything that is made their, especially food. The stories they tell you would keep you from buying any Chinese product.

Jon@Bimmersport
09-02-2007, 05:00 PM
Julian (Gamite) is made in china and does a wonderful job moderating, and hasnt one blown up, caught on fire or died in the process.

Plus, hes right...the made in china sucks is a stereotype.

Souvrain
09-02-2007, 06:31 PM
my air force one are made in china .. i like it, a like it alot

Lee
09-02-2007, 06:46 PM
Chinese manufacturing processes are exactly the same as anything in the US or Europe. It's Americans or Europeans who manage those industries with American or European know-how. Just cheaper, exactly what the world wants. Only that now the Chinese industry is scaring everyone and we now realize that our own economies and industries are in jeopardy. That's why there are some fear campaigns that start blooming. It is just politics and lies. We want cheaper prices, but don't realize we are loosing our own national ecnomies...

Remember 35 years ago when we were told that the reason for saving fuel was that it was getting scarce? That was just a huge lie. Governments had a problem with exporting countries and tried to become less dependent from those countries they ave exploited for decades... Now our governments are trying to make us believe that Chines products are dangerous. Sorry, they are made exactly how they are asked to be made by us.

Darkness95m3
09-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Chinese manufacturing processes are exactly the same as anything in the US or Europe. .

Sorry Lee manufacturing processes and quality control are not the same. So how can you say this even when the Chinese government has admitted that they have manufacturing and quality control issues.

ZHP_Bimmer05
09-03-2007, 12:34 PM
looks exactly the same except for the front, even the side trimping and panels are identical!

ZHP_Bimmer05
09-03-2007, 12:37 PM
lol gamite that car looks like the body was made up of tin

Axxe
09-06-2007, 12:50 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F06LjugtIUo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F06LjugtIUo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Arash
09-06-2007, 01:01 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vk-bF40ENH0"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Vk-bF40ENH0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

Darkness95m3
09-08-2007, 03:01 PM
<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/F06LjugtIUo"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/F06LjugtIUo" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

The dummy came out just fine.