PDA

View Full Version : Insurance cancellation

piran21
08-28-2007, 08:36 AM
So my parents get this letter outta nowhere from their broker saying that they cannot insure us any longer because of risk based on the driving record of one or more drivers on the policy. It doesn't specify anything. Does this count as a "cancellation"? If we switch soon enough to another company would they know? I called the broker but they haven't returned any calls. What grounds do I/they have?

cisco911
08-28-2007, 09:08 AM
I had this happen to my parents years back. Got a letter upon renewal saying that they were not going to renew based on my dad's driving record(3 tickets in one month). Had to go on facility because no one else would insure us. It is considered a cancellation. Good luck man and hope you situation is better than mine was.

piran21
08-28-2007, 09:21 AM
How much more did facility cost you guys? Are you back with a regular company now? I'm waiting to hear back from the insurance agent. What if the specific driver who's record is "too risky" goes and get their own insurance?

europrince
08-28-2007, 09:28 AM
It is not considered a cancellation. The policy was not cancelled. The insurance company fulfilled their obligation until the EXPIRATION of the policy, not cancelled mid-term. The policy was simply not renewed. An insurance company has certain parameters that they are permitted to insure under. You exceeded those parameters. Its not that they didn't want your business. They just couldn't legally offer you insurance after your scheduled renewal date because it didn't fall within the parameters that they have registered with the government. I repeat, this was NOT a cancellation of insurance.

Romaz
08-28-2007, 09:39 AM
None really, ur pretty much f@cked! I had this happen to me before, my suggestion is to get new insurance asap. So buy the time ur rates go up it will be around a years time and the $$$ effect wont be as bad.

europrince
08-28-2007, 09:41 AM
Go to an insurance broker. They can shop the best rate for you.

piran21
08-28-2007, 09:47 AM
Any good recommondations for a broker? I'm based in the Scarborough area.

bubsy12
08-30-2007, 09:15 AM
Piran,

Call Tracy @ Orr & Associates Insurance Brokers Inc., thats who I use for my cars... they are very good.

905-833-6691
http://www.orrandassociates.ca/