PDA

View Full Version : Murphy's Law States ...

kemestry
08-26-2007, 02:53 PM
... fix one thing .. get tools for another.

My car isn't starting consistently. I either have to prime it or boost it. Most times priming it will do the trick but on the occasions that the prime isn't doing the trick, the boost will turn it first time.

Any solutions?

e30jones
08-26-2007, 06:04 PM
What year/make of car? What do you mean 'prime' it? Gas into the intake manifold? I would check to see if you are losing fuel back into the gas tank after sitting. There is a built in check valve in the fuel pumps that goes bad after time...you can buy an inline valve for cheap to correct this problem.

Also, if you have to constantly boost the car, check to see if your alternator is functioning correctly. Start the car, get a multimeter, and take a reading from the battery. You should be getting around 14V, if not alternator is probably in need of a change/rebuild. It wouldn't hurt to check the condition of your battery. Canadian Tire does this for free as long as its out of the car....

kemestry
08-26-2007, 10:04 PM
where can I get a "check valve" and what is it officially called??

FuryriderX
08-27-2007, 04:12 PM
that is what its officially called.

kemestry
08-27-2007, 06:21 PM
thanks .. I'll have a look for one ... sealership the best bet you think?

LADY_SAUBER
09-01-2007, 01:41 PM
by "priming" it, do you mean turning the key on (engine off) a couple of times before actually starting it up? the check-valve is a good possibility!

and i disagree with alternator suggestion because if it were defective, the battery light would illuminate while he's driving. the alternator's charge is not used when the vehicle is being cranked, because that's the battery's job.

so what i do agree with is taking the battery out and taking it to canadian tire to be tested. it's a good start...