PDA

View Full Version : Pulling a starter

supernaught
08-22-2007, 10:27 AM
Me and a buddy managed to pull a starter without removing intake man. or dropping the tranny.
Not too easy and I don't recommend it. Drop the tranny if you can.
My car was parked on a steep incline and there was a car behind that the owner could not be found. So I was in a tight spot. Managed to get in and get the rusty bolts out though, what a pain in the ass. Getting repaired for $35 and one day.
Just thought I would mention it.

BigD
08-22-2007, 10:47 AM
You don't need to remove the intake to do this and you can't remove the transmission without first removing the starter.

If my car still had an M20 and I had to pull the starter, I'd figure out how to make a 96+ E36 starter work (threaded), or at least weld the nuts onto the stock one. This is by far the dumbest design I've ever seen from BMW - yeah brilliant, let's put a nut and bolt in a place where Nicole Ritchie couldn't reach.

supernaught
08-22-2007, 12:01 PM
I've read in some how-tos that removing the intake and some coolant hoses is the only way(or easiest) to get a wrench on the upper bolt head. Well we were stubbon and went at it anyways. It was a bitch, but it got done. The bolts are going back in with star lock washers for sure.