PDA

View Full Version : TACH wiring question?.....

Dluxazn58
02-07-2002, 09:34 PM
Hey Randy, since your car is the only e30 I've seen with an Autometer tach...

I was wondering, how hard was it to wire? did you do a write up on it? if not do you have any tips? did you disable your indash tach?

basically.. what I'm asking is..
would you reccemend that a teenage amatuer with no experience try to DIY? are the instructions it comes with clear and straight forward?

I have a sport comp w/shift lite ready to install..

M52_Alpina
02-07-2002, 10:04 PM
those instructions that comes with the gauges are very general, it just tells you which wire/hose to look for and it is not vechicle specific. So, you must at least have a basic understanding of which wire is which in your car.. there are few gauges that can be easily installed, just to name a few, voltage meter, manifold pressure meter, air fuel ratio meter, etc..

If you know how to install stereo and amps in your car, i am pretty sure you can handle the gauge installaion yourself..

hope that helps :)

Dluxazn58
02-07-2002, 10:50 PM
Hrmm.... well... it sounds easy enough...

heres what my friend said..

"unplug the stock tach.. and connect the wires to the new tach..."

I did some of the audio stuff in my car... I've wired a few amp/sub/speaker systems in the past...
and if what you say is true..
then thats GREAT! haha

still hoping for some tips from Randy tho

EMPOWERD
02-07-2002, 11:29 PM
I haven't done a write up on the install. I'm certainly no electrician, but I think I can help you out with this. I have to admit that Motronix installed the tach for me during the motor swap (tapped into the new wiring harness somewhere). The M50 motors are a little harder to wire up do to the seperate coils per cylinder. On your M20, you have to hook up the tach wire to the coil (looks like a small pop can on the passanger side front fender with a wire coming from the distibuter)... the other wires hook up to a ground, a power source, and a parking light source. The reason I used the Autometer is because the original cluster is still from my stock "e" and everytime it passed 5000rpm it would bounce back to zero (watch it carefully while I'm doing 253kmh in the MaxBimmer video section). I hope this helps, Good luck. If you're still uncertain about some things, pm Dave @ MOTRONIX.

Dluxazn58
02-08-2002, 12:00 AM
Hmm...
It DOES seem too easy to be true...
I may get help from My mechanic (also my good friend, heh)

Oh, I wanted to ask you guys one more thing...

Randy:
how did you mount yours? onto the "a" piller? or the side of the cluster? I want to mount it in the middle of the dash ( i know it sounds stupid but thats where I want it) on top of the two main vents... reason is.. its just easier to look that way, and second.. my radar detector is mounted on the left hand side of the cluster..

another idea would be to mount it on te a piller... but up higher... which even sounds stupid to me.. but anywhere else and it wouldnt be very visible during "spirited" driving..

OR I could mount it right on my steering column... right in front of all my other guages.. heh heh.. no joke (i've seen this done on many ricers cars)

can you guys think of any other places to mount the mofo?
thanks!

Dluxazn58
02-08-2002, 12:22 AM
hmm now that you mention it.. thats not half bad! hahaha
except I'd have to cut a fat hole in my hood, and I'd have to kick my mom out of the garage... and I'd have to put a ziploc bag over the tach when its raining..*no-no*

Hey KNOW!!! I can INEGRATE IT INTO THE MIDDLE OF THE STEERING WHEEL!! sickness...*th-up*

djbeemer
02-08-2002, 01:16 PM
i gotta get my R1 Chameleon Tach (w shiftlight) installed..
its tight its backlit by a 7 color morphing kinda thing morphs
all the time.. :D

ThE bRoWn GuY
02-08-2002, 03:47 PM
No you dont have to disconnect the stock tach!! You can tap into it, run the 12v off your radio one, as well as the ground. It is pretty simple.. only 4 wires. I installed mine above my left vent ont the dash. I actually use my stock tach when i'm just casually driving, its just a habit though. Once it hits 5000rpm the tach keeps bouncing off the peg...

Hope that helps somewhat!

ThE bRoWn GuY
02-08-2002, 03:50 PM
Oh.. and if you get the monster tach, i'd recommend not putting it in the centre of your dash! You'll be suprised how obstructive that thing is to your view!!

Dluxazn58
02-09-2002, 03:36 AM
hahaha...
well, this is what I did to see if I'll be able to handle it..

I taped a cd to a few places in my car to see if I liked it there or not.. I decided to go with the middle of the dash cuz its just soo much easier to see there.. I realized that it does obstruct some of my vision.. but I drove around with the cd there for about a week, and so far I dont really have any probs..

hey DJ beemer... how much are those RI chameleon guages? the ones that morph? I just thought I'd get autometer, cuz they're a trusted brand

ThE bRoWn GuY
02-09-2002, 04:45 PM
Thats true.. after a while you get used to it. I dont even see mine now!

Dluxazn58
02-09-2002, 09:17 PM
hey did you have to do any major chassis mods to get the mtec bumpers to fit?

Slowered318
02-10-2002, 03:46 PM
It's easy!! all you need is to run one wire from the negative terminal of your coil and one wire to the ignition switch and one to a good ground..

it's not a good picture but you can kinda see mine on the dash

http://www.angelfire.com/in/toxicated/bmw318.html

Slowered318
02-10-2002, 03:59 PM
Oh and about obtucting you view.. It doesn't really bother me you sit so high in the e30's that its not in you way. The shift light comes with a yellow cover that i never use but it does work to blind the bright light a little bit. It works great when your diving fast with the radio up loud because you can't hear the engine the light tells you when to shift. also I put a red buld in the display so it lights up the same color as my dash lights Kinda cool but I dont' use that much either because it's still too bright.

Anyways it was torture drilling holes in my dash to mount the tach but i like it.. the olny problem is a lot of people ask me what it is! really annoying!

TurboBMW
02-10-2002, 05:34 PM
I dont have a E30...but the large tach in my car does get annoying at night..cause of the light from the tach reflects off of my windshield...and creates a blindspot in the left side.

http://www.turbobmw.com/newphotos/turbotach.jpg

TurboBMW
02-10-2002, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by ROB89M3
how in the hell can you concentrate on driving with all those lights??Doesn't it bother you?:huh?:

BTW: It looks wicked at night!!

Rob,
Haha...thanks ...but i have always liked to be informed on what the motor is doing...so i like having gauges... but the one big thing is the indiglo gauges (that does distract me though)...i might consider going back to the stock amber gauges... :)

ThE bRoWn GuY
02-11-2002, 01:27 AM
It's actually an m3 bumper, but no, no major chassy mods... i just molded the bumper with fiberglass onto my fender!