PDA

View Full Version : transmission

El Gato Liso
08-18-2007, 01:53 AM
ok
my master cylinder is ****ED
therefore, im replacing it with a brand new oem one, not used/rebuilt.

now
with trouble/forcing involved in changing gears, i have a feeling that when the tranny fluid is changed there will be metal chip/shavings in it. though that is a bad thing, how screwed am i?

and if i change the clutch cylinder would it be wise to change the clutch itself as well? i really do not know if the clutch in it now is stock.

EMPOWERD
08-18-2007, 04:27 AM
The clutch master is located (literally) on the side of the tranny and can be changed within minutes. The clutch itself it quite a job to remove for "conveniently" checking it's current status. There is a good chance you will find metal shavings on the magnetic tranny drain screw, but unless a hardened needle bearing came loose and ripped through some gears, you'll be fine with mildly worn synchros (usually the case). What year/type E30 are we talking about here anyways? What's the mileage?

El Gato Liso
08-18-2007, 04:28 AM
1988 (the yr with bad/recalled master cylinders for leaking)
325i sedan

@ 273thou kms

EMPOWERD
08-18-2007, 04:41 AM
I'm guessing you don't know the history of the current clutch? Usually you can tell if a clutch is requires changing... does it engage all the way at the top now? If you dump it on a hot summer day, will the clutch slip, or spin your tires? The Getrag 260 tranny you have can be replaced for under $200 worst case senario.

T.Dot_E30
08-18-2007, 10:23 AM
which master cylinder did you replace? Brake or clutch?

If its the brake master cylinder, the clutch hydrolics run on the same brake fliud, you will most likely need to bleed the clutch bcus more than likely air got into the system when changing the master cynlinder.

Bleed the clutch if that is the case.