PDA

View Full Version : hit and run

kamus
08-17-2007, 07:56 PM
Folks - someone backed into my wife's E36 while it was parked in a lot downtown - and drove off. The attendant saw the collision and the driver, but not the plate. He kindly gave me all the plates of the people who had paid that morning. I then walked around the lot and crossed off all plates of cars that were still there. That left 8 plates.

So at the collision reporting centre i wrote down the 8 plates and provided the description of the vehicle and the driver. Basically they need to find which of those 8 are a white minivan. The cop taking the report says he'll pass it all to the "hit'n'run" guy but he doesn't know if he'll check all 8 of those plates. What am I supposed to make of that?

They implied that I should just pass this to my insurance and forget about it. But what if I don't want to involve my insurance?

Is there no way I can make sure they check all those 8 plates? One of them is responsible and should be charged with failing to stay at the scene.

Sorry folks - i'm just bitchin out loud here.. way to end a friday afternoon in the sun... *thmbsdwn*

BmW1819
08-18-2007, 12:23 AM
wow that sucks for a friday night how bad is the damage??

kamus
08-18-2007, 02:22 AM
Fortunately it looks pretty light. The left front wing is well-dented between the wheel arch and the door. Luckily the door was left untouched - so it's just one body panel. I'm guessing the body shop will pop it out and maybe repaint it. It could be 600 to a grand i guess.

It could be the Grolsch talkin but I think I'm over my earlier blues now

kamus
08-18-2007, 02:23 AM
Question - do you guys think I should put it through the insurance - given it was not my fault?

dbworld4k
08-18-2007, 02:42 AM
You're call. Since you are not at fault and have a police report, it will be filed under Collision Coverage and you will pay your collision deductible. HOWEVER, the downside to this is that your car will report as having accident history when running a Carfax, etc. Your premiums shouldn't increase because you are not at fault. That's how it works for most companies.

How expensive is the damage to fix? if its only several hundred $ you're better off paying out of your pocket incase you want to sell the car in the near future. If you plan on keeping it and running it into the ground, then just go through insurance if the damage is in the 4 figures.

someguy
08-18-2007, 03:32 AM
get some estimates and see how much itll run you. if its close to your deductible ur better off just payin out of your pocket and saving your vehicles record

kamus
08-18-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks for the tips folks. I'll get some quotes and report back. It's a single body panel so I'm hoping it could be close to my deductible.. (better go look up my deductible:))

BmW1819
08-18-2007, 12:59 PM
by the way how is your car???

kamus
08-18-2007, 02:18 PM
you missed my reply above huh?
"Fortunately [the damage] looks pretty light. The left front wing is well-dented between the wheel arch and the door. Luckily the door was left untouched - so it's just one body panel. I'm guessing the body shop will pop it out and maybe repaint it. It could be 600 to a grand i guess."

BmW1819
08-18-2007, 03:12 PM
no no your E30 :)

kamus
08-18-2007, 06:23 PM
lol - oh MY car? Sorry. It's getting close! I ordered an M20 bored and stroked to 3.2litres from Metric Mechanic. They should be shipping it this week. So the car could be ready before the next long weekend! I'm so excited I can hardly sit still!

denisemichel
08-18-2007, 07:34 PM
Good Luck finding out who it was, stupid people*thmbsdwn*

BmW1819
08-18-2007, 09:04 PM
nice how is the shipping from there??

ZiMMie
08-18-2007, 11:00 PM
lol - oh MY car? Sorry. It's getting close! I ordered an M20 bored and stroked to 3.2litres from Metric Mechanic. They should be shipping it this week. So the car could be ready before the next long weekend! I'm so excited I can hardly sit still!
jst wondering how much does a kit like that cost?

kamus
08-19-2007, 11:49 AM
nice how is the shipping from there??

Shipping was quoted as US$824 plus broker fee of 155 for helping it thru customs. Package is coming from Missouri.

kamus
08-19-2007, 11:57 AM
jst wondering how much does a kit like that cost?

I'm getting the "3200 HiFlo ST Rally" which is listed at 8995. The complete price list is here: http://www.metricmechanic.com/prices/pricing-engines-and-heads.php

I added a couple of extras such as a lighter flywheel, and some changes to the fuel intake / injectors. (Sorry - I am one of the less technical folks on this forum - i just love to drive :)) But their site goes into lots of detail about what else they do to prep the M20.

325isRED
08-19-2007, 12:02 PM
post a few pics... both the car and the wife?

ZiMMie
08-19-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm getting the "3200 HiFlo ST Rally" which is listed at 8995. The complete price list is here: http://www.metricmechanic.com/prices/pricing-engines-and-heads.php

I added a couple of extras such as a lighter flywheel, and some changes to the fuel intake / injectors. (Sorry - I am one of the less technical folks on this forum - i just love to drive :)) But their site goes into lots of detail about what else they do to prep the M20.

all that money on an m20?
wow..

BmW1819
08-19-2007, 12:10 PM
it's 240hp i wonder what the torque is u should test it when it's in the car see how my hp it really is .

kamus
08-19-2007, 01:05 PM
all that money on an m20?
wow..

It does seem a lot when you consider the kind of performance gains that are possible for that much. But my main interests are weight, simplicity and getting the car back to life asap. It's the reason I sought out an E30. I'm only interested in performance gains if they add no weight, or are achieved by reducing weight further.

In the Metric M20 they replace all spinning and reciprocating masses with lighter and more durable equivalent parts. (With the exception of the crank which is slightly heavier). So I'm really looking forward to how responsive and agile this will feel. And with a 0km engine, I hope to keep my E30 alive and well for 20 to 40 more years.

I guess logically then I really should have gone for a 4-cylinder but I'm used to the 6 now. I prefer to make 'small' changes. So if I'm in a situation where the engine needs a rebuild - I prefer the simple approach of putting in essentially the same thing with some easy and obvious improvements.

And getting someone else to do all the work is certainly costly - but I have little choice there unless I can find a lot of time to learn a lot of stuff over the next 2 or 3 years. But by investing this amount, my car will be on the road in a few weeks.