PDA

View Full Version : HELP, i think i got caught running a red!!!

v_bimmer
08-16-2007, 01:11 AM
So the story goes, i was driving from work, and i was going about 65 in a 60 zone, right in front of the intersection, getting closer and closer to the intersection i saw the light change to yellow, so i just kept on going because there was no way for me to stop. Next thing i see is a flash around my car, i turn back and go **** there is a camera!!! so i dont know if im going to get the ticket or not, can you let me know how the procedure goes with those tickets??? can i take them to court?? thanks

Boots R
08-16-2007, 01:18 AM
What intersection?

Oh, and it will be $180.00, sent to the owner of the vehicle. No points though. (if you really did go through a red-light camera)

v_bimmer
08-16-2007, 01:34 AM
i did, there is a camera there!!! it was at Steeles and Hilda!!!

Boots R
08-16-2007, 01:53 AM
Steeles and Hilda? It's not listed here: http://www.directdialinsurance.com/red_light_cameras.htm Maybe it's a new camera.

Anyways, just pay the ticket. It doesn't go on your driving record.

http://www.torontotraffictickets.com/redlight.html

Red Light Infractions

Recently, a number of cameras have been installed at certain intersections to catch drivers going through red lights. For those that have received a Notice in the mail for such an infraction you’ll notice that the fine amount is $190 plus a victim fine surcharge. If that is the case it is most advisable to just pay the red light infraction by photo as it does not appear on a driver abstract. It is treated as a parking infraction as they do not have a driver’s license available by photo and can only send the Notice of Infraction to the owner of the vehicle stated under the license plate number. These infractions do not carry any demerit points and that is the reason for the high fine amount. There is absolutely nothing to gain by taking these red light tickets to court as it does not go on any abstract. This is clearly stated in the HTA (Highway Traffic Act).
Certificate of offence – owner – red light camera evidence
(18.1) A person who issues a certificate of offence and offence notice under subsection 3 (2) of the Provincial Offences Act for a contravention of subsection (18) shall, despite that Act and the regulations under that Act, specify this subsection, instead of subsection (18), as the provision that was contravened, if,
(a) the person who issues the certificate of offence and offence notice believes that the offence was committed on the basis of evidence obtained through the use of a red light camera system; and
(b) the defendant is being charged as the owner of the vehicle. 1998, c. 38, s. 3 (1).
Certificate of offence – driver – red light camera evidence
(18.2) A person who issues a certificate of offence and offence notice under subsection 3 (2) of the Provincial Offences Act for a contravention of subsection (18) shall, despite that Act and the regulations under that Act, specify this subsection, instead of subsection (18), as the provision that was contravened, if,
(a) the person who issues the certificate of offence and offence notice believes that the offence was committed on the basis of evidence obtained through the use of a red light camera system; and
(b) the defendant is being charged as the driver of the vehicle. 1998, c. 38, s. 3 (1).

Although it is treated as a parking ticket it is unwise not to pay the ticket. Under the HTA (Highway Traffic Act) the following will result if the fine for a red light camera fine is unpaid;
No permit when red light camera fine unpaid
(11.2) If an owner of a vehicle is in default of payment of a fine imposed for a conviction based on evidence obtained through the use of a red light camera system, an order or direction may be made under section 69 of the Provincial Offences Act directing that,
(a) if the owner holds a permit, validation of that owner’s permit be refused until the fine is paid; or
(b) if the owner does not hold a permit, the issuance of a permit be refused until the fine is paid. 1998, c. 38, s. 1 (1).
On the other hand, if you were pulled over by a police officer for failing to stop at a red light and a ticket is issued, the demerit points attached to a red light ticket is three points and the fine is usually $110 total payable.
Red light
(18) Every driver approaching a traffic control signal showing a circular red indication and facing the indication shall stop his or her vehicle and shall not proceed until a green indication is shown. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 144 (18).

M3ti Compact
08-16-2007, 02:20 AM
red light cameras are politically correct, but in reality, I see people freak out and slam the brakes the moment the light turns yellow and I also see people speeding up to beat the light.

propr'one
08-16-2007, 09:32 AM
i dunno why, but i've ran a ton of them, never got any tickets

Boots R
08-16-2007, 09:34 AM
lol i'm just wondering if you were going more than 65. The red light cameras don't take your picture when the light turns red and you're in the intersection.

They take your pic when the light turns red AND THEN you enter the intersection. :P

5JABIJ8
08-16-2007, 10:02 AM
I've gotten one of those for going through a red weston/Finch area.... took it to court and got it reduced to $40.00 no points and it did not go against my driving record at all.. Thank god.....*angel*

NickP
08-16-2007, 11:10 AM
There's definitely a red light camera at Steeles and Hilda - I think it was added around May or June.

Nascar318is
08-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Wow no points, that's nice. They treat it like a parking ticket!! Cause they can't prove who is driving.. But if a cop pulls you over for a red it's 3 points.. I'd pay the $180 with no points thank you:) Fight it and see if can be reduced.

Hypower
11-15-2007, 01:28 PM
You dont have to worry about Red light Camera tickets, for the following reasons.

1. They dont go on your driving record
2. The ticket has no demerit points
3. The ticket does not go to your insurance company
4. The fine goes against the vehicle like a parking ticket, not the drivers licence of the driver.
5. The fine is 185 dollars, but if you go to court and plead guilty they will drop the fine to under 100 dollars (usually around 50 to 75 dollars)

Red light camera tickets are like a parking ticket, it doesnt affect your insurance or your driving record. If you have any further questions give Chris Conway a call at www.OntarioTrafficTickets.com. Chris used to be a traffic cop in Toronto and with the OPP he now fights tickets, and will give you a straight answer to any question you have.

INFAMOU$
11-15-2007, 01:48 PM
You dont have to worry about Red light Camera tickets, for the following reasons.

1. They dont go on your driving record
2. The ticket has no demerit points
3. The ticket does not go to your insurance company
4. The fine goes against the vehicle like a parking ticket, not the drivers licence of the driver.
5. The fine is 185 dollars, but if you go to court and plead guilty they will drop the fine to under 100 dollars (usually around 50 to 75 dollars)

Red light camera tickets are like a parking ticket, it doesnt affect your insurance or your driving record. If you have any further questions give Chris Conway a call at www.OntarioTrafficTickets.com. Chris used to be a traffic cop in Toronto and with the OPP he now fights tickets, and will give you a straight answer to any question you have.

Is your name Chris Conway lol *wave*

woofster
10-13-2008, 11:54 AM
http://www.britsattheirbest.com/images/ii_defibrillator.gif
Thread revival time!

So v_bimmer, did you end up getting a ticket in the mail and, if so, did you simply pay it? I heard it was an automatic $190 now.

Just this past Friday, after dinner plans, I was driving westbound on Eglinton, past Victoria Park when coming to the Eglinton/Sloane intersection, the light turned yellow. I drive through on the yellow.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&geocode=&q=eglinton+ave+east+and+sloane+ave,+toronto&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=51.708931,114.257812&ie=UTF8&ll=43.726328,-79.313393&spn=0.022515,0.05579&z=15

My girlfriend was sleeping in the passenger seat and not wanting to suddenly slam the brakes, I simply cruised through the intersection, not knowing there was a red-light camera there. As I'm midway through the intersection, the yellow light turns red and I see a huge flash of light behind me. I wasn't even driving that fast, just cruising in the slow lane actually.

I plan to contest the ticket if I do receive it on the basis that it would have been a dangerous and sudden manoevre to slam the brakes to make the red. Anyway, anyone else with actual experience with handling or fighting these tickets?

craigIS
10-15-2008, 11:28 AM
i live in Sarnia, and there are camera's on most of the traffic signals. i have ran many red lights, never got a ticket....why is this? are the cameras not red light cameras? or are the y just to monitor the intersection?

v_bimmer
10-15-2008, 11:52 AM
its been a long long time now, no i never got the ticket *rockout*

coolhand
10-16-2008, 12:20 PM
A friend of mine who works for the city told me that only about 25% of the redlight camera boxes have actual cameras in them. They cycle those cams between those boxes.

craigIS
10-17-2008, 08:07 PM
A friend of mine who works for the city told me that only about 25% of the redlight camera boxes have actual cameras in them. They cycle those cams between those boxes.

so what your saying is that there may look like there may be cams at an intersection, but there may not be?

ChrisTO
10-17-2008, 08:13 PM
if you are part way through the intersection when the light turns yellow you are good. there are two pictures that are taken. one just as the light turns yellow and a second one when it turns red. this way they can determine if you were behind the line or after line when the light turned red. that may partially explain why sometimes you don't get a ticket.