PDA

View Full Version : Drive it like ya stole it Break In Procedure

Daddy
08-14-2007, 02:08 PM
I'm a believer in the drive it like ya stole it method of break in (mototuneusa.com). Not that I have a lot of empirical data as the one new car I broke in like that was sold six months later.

In any event, say I do believe in this break in method - does it vary on a turbo car?

propr'one
08-14-2007, 02:10 PM
no, not really, although many will argue otherwise.

I hope you've actually read up on the "drive it like you stole it" break in method. You dont just go out and redline the car all the time, that's not the point.

Meegis
08-14-2007, 02:21 PM
The best thing for turbos is to run the car as hard as you can when its cold, and then get the turbos really nice and hot. Once at peak temperature, shut the car off immediately. This will work wonders.

/sarcasm

Daddy
08-14-2007, 02:51 PM
no, not really, although many will argue otherwise.

I hope you've actually read up on the "drive it like you stole it" break in method. You dont just go out and redline the car all the time, that's not the point.

Of course not. I read the article by Mototuneusa. It was a generalization. Drive it like ya stole it is not the same as "rental car" drive it like you stole it.

I just curious to know if turbo seals/lubricants and such require any extra care or break in.

330ci05
08-14-2007, 04:23 PM
i guess u talking about a 335? :D

Daddy
08-14-2007, 05:42 PM
whatchu talkin' about willis?

Soldo
08-14-2007, 05:49 PM
I'm a firm believer in this method. There were a few performance shops i've delt with and they all recomended using this method after an engine has been fully rebuilt. It helps seat the rings better, but i wouldn't use the term drive it like you stole it. The break in procedure i've been told is that you push it fairly hard every now and then so that the engine becomes use to that RPM range rather than not going past 3000k or whatever the dealerships tell you!