PDA

View Full Version : timing belt tensioner

new2bmw
08-12-2007, 01:17 AM
installing new timing belt, didnt get new tensioner, should this be alright? i know the belt wears out on a reguler interval, does the tensioner do the same? what are the odds of tensioner failure and what is the result if the tensioner does fail? anybody ever have a tensioner fail?

BigD
08-12-2007, 11:41 AM
Have you opened your timing belt box? I've never seen a timing belt sold without a tensioner.

2002guy
08-12-2007, 09:37 PM
might as well do the tensioner since your there and your water pump too

new2bmw
08-12-2007, 11:37 PM
no i havnt opened the box yet. I bought the belt from napa auto. It just says timing belt on the box, i am pretty sure thats it, i payed 35 for the belt and they wanted another 44 for a tensioner.

2002guy
08-14-2007, 07:56 PM
you might as well since your already there...its sucks having to go back and doing the same job again cause you cheaped out the first time...its like hitting two birds with one stone

new2bmw
08-16-2007, 12:44 AM
The bolt for the coolant in the block is supposed to have a crush washer, does anybody know the size offhand?
also, when i did the timing belt, i am not sure if i tensioned the belt, tightened the tensioner bolts and then rotated the engine or if i tensioned the belt, rotated the engine and then tightened the tensioner bolts. Does it matter or is the tightening of the tensioner bolts at the right time a major issue?
thanks
Larry

BigD
08-16-2007, 07:28 AM
It doesn't matter as long as the belt was under tension when you turned the engine, and checked the timing. Besides they shouldn't be fully tight anyway, otherwise it's not a tensioner but just another pulley - it needs to be able to move so if the belt stretches at all, the spring will keep the tensioner tight against it. The only time the bolts should be fully tight is when you retract the tensioner to pull the belt off.