PDA

View Full Version : Price On 1987 E30 M3

jamison67
08-10-2007, 07:20 PM
i have a guy who has a 1987 e30 m3 silver and he like my car and wants to trade me it has 180000 on it its in good shape it is stock what is the ballpark price on the vehicle so i now for negotions hes saying 18000 but i think thAT is way to much

any info would be helpful

punnzzells
08-10-2007, 07:30 PM
1987 M3... hmmmm.. haven't seen one in Toronto....

Ok, here's the deal... if the car is CLEAN, no accidents, no re spray, and all VIN's are matching with low km's and clean interior, you are looking at around $12 - $14K cnd.

Ok... what do you have to trade?

tominizer
08-10-2007, 10:31 PM
Depends on what you define as GOOD SHAPE.

If it's a Canadian car (or even USA car) with that sort of mileage and has seen some of the four seasons, no way it's that ball park money wise.

Take some pictures and post them up.

Check the following areas for rot/rust/cracking/etc:

Front shock tower area for body cracking
Rear sub frame mounting points for body cracking
Rear shock tower area on body from inside the trunk for tearing
Bottoms of doors and fenders for rust/rot
In rear trunk ..... battery area and under the spare for rust/rot
Floor under the pedals....... try and have him pull up the carpet......... look from the underside as well.... rust/rot
Around the front and the rear windshield for rot under the gasket..... expensive fix
Sunroof rot

Get a compression or even better a leak down test done. Motor can cost you to fix.
Check for leaking fluids around motor and also the rear end.

Bunch of other stuff as well............ but it's been a long day.

jamison67
08-12-2007, 07:54 PM
buddy says the car is from europe how can i tell that it is from europe , alot of the writing in the car is in european but that dosnt confince me and the guy want to trade for my 325 2.7i stroker and me give him a few bucks on top of the , does that sound fishy

why would a guy that has a car like that want to downgrade to a 325 i just wondering if there is something seriosly wrong with it

he says it is worth 16000 i told him that its around 10 to 12000

Robb
08-12-2007, 09:33 PM
where is the car located ? get some pics up..then we can decide what its worth... Take it to Bavarian Motors to get it checked out. They are on Woodbine North of steeles. 87 E30 M3 never came to North America, only 88-91.

punnzzells
08-12-2007, 10:33 PM
check the VIN

jamison67
08-12-2007, 11:09 PM
the car is located in richmondhill and usally the vin number is under the frt windsheild or in the door and i didnt see it in nether

one thing that i found different about this car is that 1 gear is down and second is up the shifter is totally different then what mine is

tor e30
08-13-2007, 12:00 AM
possibly 1st generation euro M with 'dogleg' transmission.

craz azn
08-13-2007, 12:19 AM
the car is located in richmondhill and usally the vin number is under the frt windsheild or in the door and i didnt see it in nether

one thing that i found different about this car is that 1 gear is down and second is up the shifter is totally different then what mine is

then its a euro spec car. post pics

tominizer
08-13-2007, 09:54 AM
I'm in woodbridge and would be more then happy to meet you there to look at this car...... (assuming I have some time). I'm no "expert" but I do know some things about these cars.

Definitely run the VIN assuming one can be found. Should be on the ownership.

E30 M3's are not for everyone and are mis-understood. Often seen as gutless and blah, blah, blah in comparison to so many other cars. Maybe this guy is tired of it. OR maybe there's repairs needed that he doesn't want to get into. There could be many underlying reasons. But to trade for a stroked 325i seems a bit odd on the surface of it all.

So there's no VIN stamped into the body just under the windshield ?

And just because it has a dog-leg, doesn't automatically make it a euro. Who knows......... this car/shell could be stolen and rebuilt with "stuff" and the VIN's removed. I know a few guys with NA cars and doglegs.

punnzzells
08-13-2007, 11:09 AM
what colour is the car? if the VIN is not on the top of the dashboard and on all the body pannels, then the car is not original condition and that will drop the value BIG time in price.... also, if the car is stolen and is re vinned, then stay away.....

I would be interested to go look at the car too...

jamison67
08-13-2007, 07:05 PM
i could set something up for a few of us to go look at it this weekend i would be more then happy to get a few people opinion

tominizer
08-14-2007, 09:14 AM
Let me know.......... if I can make it, I'll be there.

GeoS
08-14-2007, 07:15 PM
On my Euro M3 the VIN locations are marked in the picture (not my engine bay, don't have a pic handy). The long one under the wiper can be seen without opening the hood, although not easy to read.

Look at the 4-7 digits of the VIN anything other than AK03 is non-NA / private import.

AK01 Euro M3 no cat
AK03 US M3
AK05 Euro M3 with cat
AK07 M3 Sport Evo
BB01 M3 convertible no cat
BB05 Euro M3 with cat

One other thing to look for is the 15L aux fuel tank. Most euro cars had these. Located behind the trim in the trunk against the back seat area.

The nice thing about an 87 is that it is exempt from emissions testing.

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g225/GeoS_Pics/E30%20M3/EuroVINs.jpg

tominizer
08-15-2007, 09:10 AM
That VIN location pointed out above is standard on all E30 M3 chassis as I understand it. If it's not there = funny business. OR, by a VERY rare chance, it's a factory replacement shell/chassis as I believe those did not have the VIN's on them. But stupid unlikely that this is the case.