PDA

View Full Version : a bit of paint advice needed

lotus49
08-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Hi all - I've had my '89 325i for a couple of years. It's not concours but it's essentially rust-free. I'd like to take care of something I've been ignoring on the passenger-side B-pillar - see pic - it had these chips when I bought it and they're starting to get very unpretty. It' s the only place where it's like that. I think the rust is just starting to become more than surface.

Can anyone give me a Reader's Digest tutorial on how to fix this? I'm no bodywork wiz but I'm quite capable.

Thanks!

jamison67
08-03-2007, 07:37 PM
that just surface rust any body shop should be able to fix that for you for 50 to 100 doolors

SamE30e
08-03-2007, 08:33 PM
Just get a grinder and then flat black spray paint.

jamison67
08-04-2007, 11:12 AM
dont grind it you will see the grind marks sand it with 80 then work your way up to 120 then 180 ,240,then 400 then buy a can of sel etching primer because you will be down to bare metal and paint will not stick to bare metal , so you spray that on 2 light coats ,let it flash for about 10 min the spray it with a flat black ,bout 3 coats,ur first 2 sould be light coat just to get coverae then ur 3rd and last should be a med wet coat for a nice even low look ,and then ur done and it should last another 10 years

Wannabe
08-04-2007, 10:19 PM
then be prepared to do the rest of them, because once you paint one, then it will stand out like a slut

HoldenC
08-05-2007, 04:58 AM
No easy fix, I'm afraid. It's just not a DIY. If you really, really can't afford to take it to a bodyshop and pay the 100-200 bucks to get it fixed right, I'll give you some tips. Just send me a PM and I'll reply on the thread.

If you take the DIY route, I can almost guarantee it won't look pretty.

Also, mods please move this thread to the detailing section.

everlast
08-05-2007, 11:26 AM
If you do DIY, use Bumper Trim Matte black, not flat black. Just paint the one beside it as well and you likely won't see any difference. You won't need to prep the other as much, just remove all wax, lightly scuff so the paint sticks and paint.

DIY, and if it looks like total ass then pay for a shop to do it. I know I could DIY myself no prob and make it look good.

HoldenC
08-05-2007, 02:37 PM
This is not a DIY project.

T.Dot_E30
08-05-2007, 05:10 PM
This is not a DIY project.

I don't think you should be the one to determine that.

NickP
08-05-2007, 05:42 PM
Actually that piece looks like its on the door - the piece is relatively simple to remove and replace. I've never seen one rusted - you should have good luck in finding a mint piece in a junk yard.

If I remember correctly - if you first remove the lower outer trim on the door you can then pry it slightly towards the rear of the car on the bottom of the trim before pulling it down from under the upper trim piece. Practice in the junk yard and you should find it quite simple.

lotus49
08-06-2007, 05:15 AM
^^^^^^^
I was going to ask about just that, but I thought the thread was dead. Someone's selling the exact piece on eBay so I figured it can't be too hard to remove (perhaps harder to replace though!) It does in fact look like the chrome piece at the base of the window has to come off (or at least partly) to make way for removing it. If I can get it off I'm sure I can re-finish it. Plus it seems to me that some combination of grinding compound / Back to Black / and Armourall should help to getting the adjacent one to match.

But there's a detailing forum? I didn't know. I should go there, what?

everlast
08-06-2007, 11:03 AM
Can you post a link to the ebay auction (no I won't bid)?

86coupe30
08-06-2007, 12:55 PM
you should try to could try to color match it but it would be a bit tougher.. but if done right would look amazing.. people with vw sciroccos take the black out from inbetween the windows and it looks soo good. so im guessing it would do the same on this

everlast
08-06-2007, 11:58 PM
Hmmmm.. color match.. interesting idea.

lotus49
08-07-2007, 09:54 AM
Can you post a link to the ebay auction (no I won't bid)?

Just go to the auto section and search "e30 b-pillar". The guy's parting out several cars in Indianapolis.