PDA

View Full Version : random powerlock failure?

t-im
07-30-2007, 02:34 AM
Does anyone have this problem with their E46??

Sometimes, when I unlock it once, the drivers door unlocks, but then when I try to unlock the other doors, it doesn't unlock. I then try the central lock button, which also does not work, so I have to unlock the doors manually.

What kind of glitch is this, or is it something I should just live with?

StikiGreenZ
07-30-2007, 01:43 PM
My fob does that sometimes. I just hit lock and unlock twice and it unlocks all the doors.. My central unlock switch has never failed though.

bmwBRO
07-30-2007, 10:48 PM
what year is your car.. i have a 03 330i and mine does the same thing.

Deep 3.2TL
07-31-2007, 12:57 AM
I had a '99 323i and in the heat the power door locks would not work - I would have to cool down the cabin before I could open any of the doors...

Never got it figured out...

Deep

t-im
07-31-2007, 12:09 PM
yeah, it's definitely not the heat, because this has happened in -25c weather :(

I only ask because my warranty is expiring soon and I wanted to see if their was anything that could be done..i've been telling the dealer this problem for years to no avail..

Romaz
07-31-2007, 12:50 PM
I have been having the same issues with my 01 330cic. Last month something happened to the driver door lock, it will lock but it won’t unlock the driver door. I heard that it might be a module that cost like $300 bucks or something.

Daddy
07-31-2007, 12:53 PM
The door lock actuators are known to fail on the e46. I betcha that is the cause.

Romaz
07-31-2007, 01:49 PM
The door lock actuators are known to fail on the e46. I betcha that is the cause.

Ya I think thats the thingy I need to replace so that I could unlock my door :confused:

Anyone know of the cost or a good place to diagnose?

StikiGreenZ
07-31-2007, 03:03 PM

Wouldnt at least one of the doors work?

Daddy
08-01-2007, 05:05 AM
Wouldnt at least one of the doors work?

???

Each door has its own actuator. For my car, the passenger side one works most of the time, but it seems like it's on its way out as well...

Romaz
08-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Here is a good DIY for this;

http://www.e46toronto.ca/forums/showthread.php?t=8893

t-im
08-07-2007, 02:35 AM

if that were the case, wouldn't at least one door work? not all just fail to unlock at the same time?

soo frustrating..

Daddy
08-07-2007, 10:07 AM
if that were the case, wouldn't at least one door work? not all just fail to unlock at the same time?

soo frustrating..

Sorry, I'm a little confused. Each door has it's own lock actuator. Are you saying that both doors don't unlock AT THE SAME TIME? If that's the case, your car is haunted. :D

t-im
08-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Sorry, I'm a little confused. Each door has it's own lock actuator. Are you saying that both doors don't unlock AT THE SAME TIME? If that's the case, your car is haunted. :D

hey no i meant like, the drivers door will unlock, but then the remaining 3 doors will not unlock :(

ShaTR
11-06-2008, 06:43 PM
i got the same problem with my mums car. but the problem is getting worse and worse. sometimes it wont unlock any of the doors now. and a couple times, pulling the handle woudln't even open the door lock.

did you ever fix it???? what was the problem??

Tom
11-06-2008, 07:56 PM
hey guys,from my understanding and previous experience if your door doesnt open whenyou press the keyless button but when you turn the key and open it manually and it works this means your door actuator is burnt out and its about 300-350$ max installed... had one done earlier this summer at bimmersport... aparently this is a common problem with the e46 as some ppl have replaced theres twice in one door with less then 200K, also I heard it not worth to buy these parts used as you never know how many K it actually has and these are wear and tear parts so NEW would be best...

ImolaZHP
11-06-2008, 11:02 PM
i had this happen in the summer once, no idea why, and it was fine 5 minutes later.

i got this from the e46 wiki, maybe it'll work for you.

Remote lock/unlock on your key not working?
Try re-initializing your key:

Get in and close all doors.
Turn on the ingition and turn off quickly. (No more than 5 seconds) to start the process. Next action must take place within 30 seconds.
Remove the 1st key.
Hold the key up near your left shoulder (this is so it is closer to the remote reciever antenna - someone else suggested this).
Hold down the unlock button (which is button 1 on my key) and press the lock button 3 times (center button on my key). Release the unlock button and the doors lock which confirms the operation.
Quickly repeat steps 4 & 5 for key #2 etc.
If it does not work, try doing the keys in opposite order. Key 2 then key1, vs 1 then 2.

Remember to alternate your keys from time to time so that you keep the batteries in both charged.

Another thing you can do is to replace the battery! It's not officially possible (or recommended) for the new key design (2000+) but it can be done. Instructions can be found in this thread.

Airbalancer
11-08-2008, 07:43 AM
Keys remote are really weird on our 2000 323 CIC
In Peterborough they do not work at all ( it is about 1/2 hr drive there) get out of Peterborough and the Keys work fine most of the time

hcallahan
11-17-2008, 11:21 AM
I spoke to the BMW tech about this and he said that depending on where you park, there may be interference (e.g. mall auto door openers, etc.).

-Callahan-

Tnd-_-b
11-18-2008, 09:16 AM
This problem is more common then i thought. i had the same problem one mornig also none of the doors would unlock. the only thing that worked from my key was the trunk, but i didnt try putting the key in the door to cold outside and lazy. so i went to bed *sleep* and hoped for the best when it was time to go to work. LoL No problems since. *th-up*

Toxic0n
12-01-2008, 02:57 PM
I had a similar problem, it's your GM5 module. Check bmwgm5.com - I got the problem fixed for $30 with some new relays.
My symptoms were:
-The doors would always lock with either the fob or the central locking button
- Sometimes the doors would not unlock with either the keyfob or the central locking button. The car would stay double locked so I could not even open any passenger doors from the inside. Made my GF climb through the window a few times :) I could still open the drivers door with the key.
- Sometimes only the drivers side door would unlock, but the double lock would be disengaged so I would be able to open the rest of the doors from the inside by pulling on the door handle.
All of this usually happened when it was hot out or the car sat out in the sun for a while. It would rarely happen at night.

Deep 3.2TL
12-01-2008, 03:01 PM
WHERE WERE YOU WHEN I HAD MY PROBLEMS A FEW YEARS AGO!! :)

I sold the car to get rid of the issues - this was one of a few...

Toxic0n
12-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Sorry man, I just saw this topic now. I only had this done a few months ago. Probably the best $30 I spent on this car, lol
By the way, when I brought my car in for a subframe repair, for some reason they scanned my car and told me my GM5 was faulty. They wanted like $1500 to replace it. That prompted me to do some research into this.
New GM5 modules are about $500 + programming fees by the dealer. The relays are $30 and a couple of hours of work. Easy choice.

E46Dude
06-24-2009, 04:22 PM
Ive got the same problem. Doors do not unlock randomely. Have to use the key to open the drivers side..but none of the other doors unlock..even if I use the console button.

I have to keep playing with the lock unlock on the remote 10 times before it finally cuts me some slack and opens the doors.

Im not technical so Im going to have to take it somewhere I guess.