PDA

View Full Version : New problem on startup

SamE30e
07-29-2007, 10:06 PM
Ok, so my valve cover gasket was leaking a bit so I changed it today. I took it off, cleaned it up, painted it put the new gasket on and put it all back together.

Now heres the problem, when I start the car up it rev's up really high then stops, it goes down then the rpms start bouncing as if you were tapping the gas to keep it from stalling. Everything looks to be in order, I started it once and it worked fine, but that was just the once.

Any ideas would be awesome

Thanks,
Sam

Edit: It worked perfectly before I changed the gasket..

Question 2: How the hell do you get that little plastic drain on the firewall back on?!?!?!?

Eurostyle
07-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Vacume leak...most likely the tube that connects to the valve cover...or maybe the oil cap not installed right...

SamE30e
07-30-2007, 01:17 AM
I'll check it out, the oil cap is on properly. I'll check out the ICV, maybe it needs to be adjusted, the throttle isn't tight on the cable like it used to be so i'm thinking its the ICV.

SamE30e
07-30-2007, 02:15 PM
Fixed, it was the Idle Control Valve. I was looking at it for about 20 minutes pissed off, then it popped into my head. I took it apart, sprayed some carb cleaner in there and all this dirty black gummy crap came out. Then I cleaned the contacts for the plug. Put it all back in, started it up, adjusted it and it worked good as new. Thats one thing to cross off my list of stuff to do.

SamE30e
07-30-2007, 11:06 PM
Well its back, I think my ICV went down the crapper, well off to the junk yard. It worked for 5 minutes, then murphys law says that if I fix one thing (my si board) another thing will break.

SamE30e
07-31-2007, 12:47 AM
Ok i'm stumped, I'm going to try a new ICV but I don't know if that is it, I hooked it directly to the battery, it clicks and I can see the valve moving. What else could it be?

The ICV needed cleaning anyways, all that came out of it was black gook. I think that it may be a vacuum leak, I'm going to have a look tomorrow.

BMW325BMW
07-31-2007, 09:24 AM
spray some lubricant in there too... the carb cleaner dries it out

SamE30e
07-31-2007, 02:38 PM
I did, no dice :(

everlast
07-31-2007, 03:32 PM
Vacuum leak?

SamE30e
07-31-2007, 04:21 PM
I sprayed the intake tube and all the ICV tubes with carb cleaner and no increse in rpm.

everlast
07-31-2007, 04:59 PM
Slowly pull out the oil dipstick; if you don't hear the engine stumble (but then possible correct itself, as it should), you may have a leak. Any oil coming from under the valve cover? Perhaps a leak in that area, since you had it apart? Is there a vacuum PCV line coming from the valve cover that is not seated / cracked?

SamE30e
07-31-2007, 05:06 PM
The PCV line is on there correctly. I started it today and the RPM's didn't go as high, then after that I shut it off then started it again and it worked fine. If you want an idea of whats happening, unplug your ICV and start your car. Its pissing me off, it seems as though it is working when it is really hot outside, but at night when it is cooler it doesn't.

I'm lost, i'll try and look for more leaks today.

Also, another little side note, if i'm standing beside the car on the driver side should I be able to hear the fuel pump whine?

SamE30e
08-01-2007, 12:20 PM
Ok so it worked today, Maybe the icv was stuck, I hit it with a screw driver and its worked since then. (knock on wood)