PDA

View Full Version : Turbo E30 M20?

SamE30e
07-23-2007, 12:17 PM
Now i've been contemplating the idea of eventually going turbo on the 325e.

Questions

Without touching the internals, what PSI can you safely run on 91 octane with a garrett t3 .48ar, front mount IC, 666 fabrications turbo adaptor?

What is the weakpoint in the e30 drivetrain?

Is a fuel controller necessary for low boost applications or can you use a aftermarket chip?

Will the m20 injectors fuel enough for low boost or will a upgrade to m50 (if possible) necessary.

Google apparently isn't my friend.

Thanks

BmW1819
07-23-2007, 06:52 PM
one thing not 100% sure but is there a huge point to turbo a E?? i would super charge a E and turbo a I or IS high revs your boost is gonna be kickin in a 1000-2000 rpm it's up to you gonna have quick gear changes

FuryriderX
07-23-2007, 06:53 PM
injectors and some type of engine management (standalone, chip) are almost a must. i would guess around 8-10psi on stock internals would be safe. some have run 15+, but i dont think reliability was a goal.

i really dont know what the weakpoint is. halfshafts, maybe? haha

edit: turboing an e is not necessarily a bad idea, you start with a lower compression to begin with, so you can run more boost without detonation.

SamE30e
07-23-2007, 06:55 PM
Well I was looking to get the best bang for buck, I have basically everything buy a manifold and misc IC tubing.

everlast
07-24-2007, 10:33 AM
turbo e's are pretty popular; their low compression fits well with a turbo. Plus, you can swap an 'i' head onto it later for better flow and even lower compression.

markD makes a chip for an 'i' for turbo, maybe he has one for an 'e' too. Otherwise, you could use a RRFPR for added fuel. Some people tap into the cold start injector for extra fuel on demand, but that's pretty ghetto.

I would also include a wideband O2 sensor. Innovate make one for about $200CND that you can hook to a gauge or a laptop to see your air fuel mixture. If you can get the mixture right, your engine will be safe. If its wrong, the engine will not last long.

I would aim for 5psi a first as a test, then work on a better fuel solution (standalone, or chip) and go to 8psi.

SamE30e
07-24-2007, 10:56 AM
turbo e's are pretty popular; their low compression fits well with a turbo. Plus, you can swap an 'i' head onto it later for better flow and even lower compression.

markD makes a chip for an 'i' for turbo, maybe he has one for an 'e' too. Otherwise, you could use a RRFPR for added fuel. Some people tap into the cold start injector for extra fuel on demand, but that's pretty ghetto.

I would also include a wideband O2 sensor. Innovate make one for about $200CND that you can hook to a gauge or a laptop to see your air fuel mixture. If you can get the mixture right, your engine will be safe. If its wrong, the engine will not last long.

I would aim for 5psi a first as a test, then work on a better fuel solution (standalone, or chip) and go to 8psi.

My brother has a Zenitronix wideband setup in the garage. Seems pretty simple, nothing out of the ordinary for turboing a car lol.