PDA

View Full Version : Help: How to fit Eurostyle M-tech apron on E30 vert?

talltorontoguy
07-17-2007, 01:30 PM
I'm in the middle of doing my plastic bumper conversion and am stuck on the rear apron.

How have others attached the eurostyle rear apron with the plastic bumper conversion? Later cars have a factory rear apron which the mtech unit snaps over and can be screwed. The vert doesn't have the same rear apron, which minimizes mounting points.

What's required to attach the unit? Just screw/clamp to bottom of bumper and fender? How is the bottom strengthened? Do I need to add some sort of bracket? Anyone have any pictures of the setup?

Rod

FuryriderX
07-17-2007, 03:31 PM
i have a sedan, so i did have the apron to clip onto. but i didnt strengthen the bottom at all. those fiberglass pieces are really strong. mine is only screwed in 2 places, at the wheel wells. i need to add more screws, but its still on there pretty tight.

brent-E30
07-18-2007, 03:55 PM
i think he means the bottom front corners on the apron, our later stock apron's come down much farther than the earler 84-87's did. so there is allmost nothing that would hold the bottom corner of the apron at the wheel well. and i think it would be a bit flimsy.

i would weld something to the stock valence at the wheel well that extends it down to the bottom of the skirt and that should hold it firm.
but someone may have a better idea.

talltorontoguy
07-18-2007, 04:43 PM
Thanks for clarifying. Yes that's exactly what I mean. I'm concerned that the apron will catch air and vibrate itself off the car if not attached at those points.

mirek
07-18-2007, 05:26 PM
i have a sedan, so i did have the apron to clip onto. but i didnt strengthen the bottom at all. those fiberglass pieces are really strong. mine is only screwed in 2 places, at the wheel wells. i need to add more screws, but its still on there pretty tight.

That gap supposed to be that big?

FuryriderX
07-18-2007, 11:55 PM
nope, it isnt - its just wrapped around and screwed in at the wheel wells. a few more are required in the corner.

talltorontoguy
07-20-2007, 10:30 AM
Anybody have any closeup pictures of how the unit is attached to the bumper and to the car body? Even if it's a non-vert, better than nothing.

I'm also a little confused as to how flush with the face of the bumper the unit is supposed to go... is it to be recessed from the edge?

brent-E30
07-20-2007, 10:50 AM
I'm also a little confused as to how flush with the face of the bumper the unit is supposed to go... is it to be recessed from the edge?

ya its back a bit from the edge, hers the best pic i could fined of mine, my car is at a paint shop right now so i cant take pics of it for you. sory

talltorontoguy
07-20-2007, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the pic. It seems to be recessed somewhat from the edge at the rear, but on the sides near the wheel arch it is almost flush. Sound right?

brent-E30
07-20-2007, 12:21 PM
Thanks for the pic. It seems to be recessed somewhat from the edge at the rear, but on the sides near the wheel arch it is almost flush. Sound right?

yep your right, here i hope this one helps.

talltorontoguy
07-25-2007, 02:33 AM
I figured it out... was tough to get it attached but now done. See signature pic below, or view thread I will post. Thanks for your pics, it helped.