PDA

View Full Version : Picking up my "new" E46 tomorrow! 2001 330i

bdonkersgoed
07-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Hey Guys,

I sold my '99 VW Passat and I am picking up my new-to-me 2001 BMW 330i *th-up*

http://images.trader.ca/autotrader/6/21/4493837.jpg.fpx?large

DETAILS:
- Price: $21,500CAD (private deal, no GST)
- 66,000 kms
- Full Maintenance History from BMW Dealership in Toronto
- Mature/Professional owner with kids, so hopefully not abused (seller is really nice and seems trustworthy)
- Manual Transmission (I wouldn't drive any other kind!)
- Black Exterior
- Black Leather Interior

Two sets of rims:
- 17" M3 Replica rims (unfortunately with some curb rash) and with new all-season tires
- 17" M3 Replica rims (with salt damage) with used winter tires. I don't think I want to run 17" winters though . . .

Many options:
- Luxury Package
- Sport Package
- Cold Weather Package
- Parking assist
- Electronic rear sunshade
- HIDs
- Folding Split Rear Seat
- Power Memory Seats
- Harmon Kardon Premium Sound

I test drove it the other day and it drove like a dream! Insurance is quite reasonable, and from I've read online the car gets very good fuel economy for the amount of power it offers.

I am going to be setting aside $85/month for repairs and maintenance over and above synthetic oil changes. This is about $1000/year; do you think it seems reasonable?

Also, I pulled my stereo out of my Passat and am debating whether or not I am going to have it installed in the BMW. If the stock stereo seems fine, then I might just use the stock speakers/amp and put in my Alpine 9835 MP3 deck and a sub/amp. My aftermarket stereo is pretty sweet though; Focal Utopias for the front, RE-XXX mids, PPI Art and US Amps, Image Dynamics IDQ sub . . .

Is there any really good shops in the Toronto area that you guys recommend for service? Also, is there any preventative things that I should have done to the car right away?

I hope that the BMW will serve me well over the next four years or so :)

What do you guys think?

--Bryan--

325isRED
07-12-2007, 08:18 PM
Welcome to the community, You got a nice whip there with really low km's. Is this your first BMW?

Keep it clean and enjoy, Adam

bdonkersgoed
07-12-2007, 08:22 PM
Yup, this is my first time venturing into BMW territory :)

I have owned in the past:

- 1993 Mazda MX6 Mystere
- 1992 Lexus ES300
- 1999 Volkswagen Passat 1.8T

--Bryan--

e46silver
07-12-2007, 09:37 PM
*th-up* Nice whip and a great deal too. *th-up* Congrats!!!

Let the modding begins.. :D

bdonkersgoed
07-12-2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks e46silver :)

I don't know if there is much I can do to make a BMW any nicer than it already is :cool: I don't want to get into lowered suspensions or anything like that; I want to keep it mostly stock. Perhaps some nice M3-style tailights would be nice, and some matching signals? Are there any other minor mods that are tasteful/OEM looking and not crazy expensive?

Also, do you know whether or not this car has a dual exhaust on it already? I know the two pipes are both on the left-hand-side of the car, but is each pipe for three cylinders? I was told by someone that they are.

--Bryan--

e46silver
07-12-2007, 11:40 PM
When you first own a BMW, ofcourse you don't want to mod it yet..lolz.. But the mod bug will kick in when you start surfing at http://www.e46fanatics.com/ especially on Showroom thread! :D

A few inexpensive mods that will make the car looks nice are: silver gauge rings, clear corner light all around, 6000K D2S bulbs, etc. depending on your budgets.. check this link for some ideas: http://www.bimmian.com/

Hope that will help! ;)

bdonkersgoed
07-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Thanks . . . that Bimmian site looks great! :D

I don't think the mod bug is going to bite me for a while . . . I have enough to play with the in stock Bimmer :P

I thought that already having HID headlamps was enough? You can even improve on that with a different bulb?

--Bryan--

T.Dot_E30
07-13-2007, 12:13 AM
Congrats on the ride.

You are stuck with 17'' rims thou as the are the smallest that clear the brakes.

I don't think I want to run 17" winters though . . .

windsor318is
07-13-2007, 12:16 AM
snow tires on the 17" and then buy i nice set of 19"s...for the summer

StikiGreenZ
07-13-2007, 08:49 AM
Congrats on the purchase. That's a great deal you got. I got my 2002 330 last year and love it! I'm sure you will enjoy it as well :)

AS for maintenance and stuff, I take my car to BimmerSport in Mississauga, good people working there, and excellent fair prices. Can't go wrong.

dtthiaga
07-13-2007, 10:34 AM
Hey Guys,
- 17" M3 Replica rims (with salt damage) with used winter tires. I don't think I want to run 17" winters though . . .

--Bryan--

The car has low KM. Enjoy.

You may have to run 17" Snows, because there are very very few 16" rims that will clear the brakes on a 330i. I wouldn't go bigger for snows either. 17" snows is probably what you want.

Karim@Corner73
07-13-2007, 10:54 AM
Congratulations.

Sounds and looks like a nice car. 66000km! That's great.

Take good care of it and it will reward you for years *th-up*

Enjoy *rockout*

Karim.

bdonkersgoed
07-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Thanks guys :)

I now officially own the car, but have to go and slap my plates on it and drive it home . . . only two more hours! *th-up*

Wow . . . I knew the brakes were supposed to be a decent size, but I had no idea that they were so large that you have to use 17's or bigger :eek: Lucky it came with winter rims then!

--Bryan--

bdonkersgoed
07-14-2007, 04:21 AM
I picked up the car this evening, and I absolutely love it :D It's so smooth and solid feeling . . . I hope I get some good years of enjoyment out of it!

One thing that I noticed was that the right Xenon headlight is a purple colour, where as the left Xenon headlight is more of a bright white colour. Both of the headlights have the levelling mechanisms, and both appear to warm up.

Does anyone know why the right bulb would be purplish, where as the left side is not? Perhaps they replaced one of the two bulbs?

Thanks,
Bryan

Mikeee46coup
07-14-2007, 07:11 AM
I picked up the car this evening, and I absolutely love it :D It's so smooth and solid feeling . . . I hope I get some good years of enjoyment out of it!

One thing that I noticed was that the right Xenon headlight is a purple colour, where as the left Xenon headlight is more of a bright white colour. Both of the headlights have the levelling mechanisms, and both appear to warm up.

Does anyone know why the right bulb would be purplish, where as the left side is not? Perhaps they replaced one of the two bulbs?

Thanks,
Bryan

The bulb may be a different Kelvin rating, or the HID ballast may be dying?

bdonkersgoed
07-14-2007, 09:52 AM
I hope it is just a different Kelvin :S

It's kind of weird, because it appears as if the two bulbs start off at the same purplish colour, but then as they warm up (after about 5 seconds) the one bulb appears more white and the other remains at the purplish colour. Any ideas?

Thanks!
Bryan

rafiki
07-14-2007, 12:09 PM
Congrats on the new ride and welcome to the 2001 330i club. Alright, there isn't a club per se, but I have one too and love it. A lot more miles and a whole bunch of mods, but no pressure from me for anything that is just for show. One thing I recommend you do is turn the ignition to on (before starter) and keep it there for 10 seconds, then off for 10, and then start. That should reset adaptive throttle. The car will learn your driving habits over the next 100+ kilometers. I do recommend software for the car - it becomes so much more fun.

bdonkersgoed
07-15-2007, 01:39 AM

I tried resetting using the procedure that you mentioned, but it didn't give any kind of conirfmation or anything like that. What exactly do you mean by "adaptive throttle"?

--Bryan--

Sneaky
07-15-2007, 02:46 AM
M-tech Front Bumper and Clears all around asap

rafiki
07-15-2007, 12:29 PM

I tried resetting using the procedure that you mentioned, but it didn't give any kind of conirfmation or anything like that. What exactly do you mean by "adaptive throttle"?

--Bryan--

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=54763