PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 318i 4dr very soon

Shawn
02-06-2002, 01:40 AM
Anyone got any suggestions for a 19yr student buying his first BMW this comming spring.... My cash is low, but i assume better then some, given i can make this purchase... I plan to buy 1992 and up model, also a four door is a must for insurance and for the sedan look. If you got a buying tip, i would love to hear it.

Thanks!
Currently: Automotive Marketing Student

Gamite
02-06-2002, 02:19 AM
Great to hear Shawn, how much cash do you have to splurge? Maybe we can help!

Shawn
02-06-2002, 10:49 AM
Trying to keep the car itself around 9-10k, I will have my OMVIC licence very soon, so I will be able to check out the car auctions and possible score a deal. I can go a bit higher in price if needed, but really want to save coin for the list of mods (growing daily) that I plan to add. I have been watching autotrader.ca, and the prices are low, however the cars donít appear to be in the best shape, I need to find an old lady that used one as a grocery getter. Any suggestions where to locate a good deal?

Gamite
02-06-2002, 04:36 PM
Well there are some pretty well informed people on this board, maybe they can help you find a good deal for 10k.

What do you think guys? whats the best bimmer 10k can buy?

Slowered318
02-07-2002, 01:16 AM
1992 318ic Convertible is what I would suggest if your not a speed freak. If you are I would suggest a E30 325 or E36 if you can find one.

Good luck

Ryan

Bliss
02-07-2002, 01:26 AM
Well finding a '92 for the price you are willing to pay shouldnt be that hard. Although i did not look at the trader in a while, but i'm pretty sure you'll find some. A 4 door is a lot more easier to find than a 2 door, thats for sure, so you're set there. The ONE thing that's gonna be a pain is finding one with low mileage. Also are you picky? as in do you want stick? sunroof? leather? or you don't care? If you don't care, then i think finding one with low mileage is gonna be the hardest thing for you. Well if you're picky, then it will be that much harder.:) Good luck!

djcontra
02-07-2002, 08:47 AM
You should have no trouble at all finding a '92 for that price. I was lucky and got my '93 325i 4dr for $11,000.
I see alot of '92 318i's and 325i's for under $10,000
so keep looking!
and be sure to check the cars' history! I checked out one car, then noticed on the history check it was a theft recovery where the car was completely stripped and put back together...i didn't want that =/

Shawn
02-07-2002, 12:23 PM
Thanks a lot for the advice guys,

Ryan, a convertible would be so nice, however the insurance is a great deal more then for a sedanÖ and I am only 19, so the insurance companyís are going to eat me alive as it isÖ. I looked at the e30, but love the body style of the e36. In regards to speed, itís nice, but Iím big on style over speed for this purchase, once I graduate and have serious coin, an m3 will be on the agendaÖ
Bliss, Iím so picky is un-real, (thatís why Iím going BMW and not Honda like so many miss guided youth) sun roof is a must, and leather, would be an asset, I have noticed more sedans then 2 drs, so I have one advantage I guessÖÖ.
DjContra, I will be sure to look into historyÖ.

This is a pretty cool fourm hereÖ. thanks again for advice, the more tips the less likely I am to screw myself over with a bad purchase! :idea:

Shawn T.....

SickFinga
02-07-2002, 12:44 PM
forget about insurance it is no that big
like I said million times, I'm 18 I have '97 M3, also I got 1 ticket and I pay 314 a month.
so it's gonna be very low on 1992 bmw. you can try to register it on your mom/dad.
so just call your current unsurance agent for a quote.
like month ago I wanted to get 328is. when I called for a quote they told me 450$ and I was happy with that quote
then I asked a quote for a '95 m3 and broker told me $400.
so that day I decided to get m3.
month later I found a '97 m3. called to inasurnace again and broker said 366 a month. I was like WTF (in happy way), I made an appointment, when I came broker said your insurance is gonna be $314.
so it is not that big.
just call 'em

Carlo
02-07-2002, 01:25 PM
Hey shawn I live in london too. Where in london are you from, also I may be able to hook you up with a better deal (we own the dealer ship in london.) let me know? I have one right now, a 95 318i, 4-door, 5speed, sunroof ,leather, its a really cool silvery blue color. with 100k which will be around you price range.

Shawn
02-07-2002, 02:28 PM
sickfingers - I will give my family insurance guy a call shortly and find out, but my dad looked for me at Christmas and the 318 was going to be shy of 400 a month... maybe I have a bad agent...

Carlo Ė Iím down their in the south, what dealership do you own bro?

*th-up* *th-up* *th-up*

SickFinga
02-07-2002, 02:43 PM
w0000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 w

Call to a State Farm agent.
I suggest you to insure all cars, house, life at the same insurance company.
Your insurance will drop A LOT!!!

danbean123
02-08-2002, 12:59 AM
I'm 17 and I checked insurance for a 318i '92 which I don't own, but just to give me an idea and I had 266$/month, the only thing that stops me from buying a 318, is that I wanted a 6cyl. (I have an orgasm every time I hear the exhaust sound of a 6cyl BMW) and the price they charge for engine swap on a 318 is too high, It would be better for me to buy a 325.

If anyone knows were I can make a engine swap for cheap in the montreal area tell me, but I'm sure a 325 is the way to go.

SchoolN'U
02-09-2002, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Shawn
thatís why Iím going BMW and not Honda like so many miss guided youth)

Shawn T.....

haha, don't foget that those miss guided youth drive you around all the time. Damn, you "think" you getting a BMW and now your to good for us Honda boys! :rolleyes:

haha ;)

Shawn
02-10-2002, 02:40 PM
Haha, your honda will always be the best honda bro! or at least the lowest!

*smoke*

SchoolN'U
02-10-2002, 03:16 PM
Haha, your honda will always be the best honda bro! or at least the lowest!

*smoke*

thanks Shawn, just don't want you putting down all Hondas, not all of us can have their parents paying insurance on their BMW! hehe, http://server35.hypermart.net/slacker937/smilies/headbang.gif

SWHEEEET
02-10-2002, 08:26 PM
Anyone got any suggestions for a 19yr student buying his first BMW this comming spring.... My cash is low, but i assume better then some, given i can make this purchase... I plan to buy 1992 and up model, also a four door is a must for insurance and for the sedan look. If you got a buying tip, i would love to hear it.

Thanks!
Currently: Automotive Marketing Student

Hey bud if you are looking to buy from an auction I know a guy that will get you a bimmer cheap!!! Both my brother (AcidSnow) and I bought our bimmers from this guy. If you like I can give you his number to call. He is located in Georgetown but he does get around... Let me know if you are interested :cool:

Shawn
02-10-2002, 11:14 PM
so this guy can buy one at the auction for me? or sponsor me when Iím at the auction?
or is this something different then the action?

:huh?: :huh?:

SWHEEEET
02-11-2002, 10:23 AM
so this guy can buy one at the auction for me? or sponsor me when Iím at the auction?
or is this something different then the action?

:huh?: :huh?:

This guy will buy a car to your specifications and budget. He can take you the day before to veiw the car so you know what you will be buying and want to bid. You can't go the day of the auction because it is a dealers' auction. You can get a good deal through this guy. He only works though word of mouth so he keeps his reputation up. If you would like this guy to give you a call e mail me with your number and I will give it to him.

Shawn
02-11-2002, 11:41 AM
Aright, I see what your mean. I think I will end up going to the auction in the end, but would like to bid myself. I have an OMVIC licence, so I can bid with dealership sponsorship. And I pretty sure to positive I will have that shortly. Regardless I will keep your email address here and may drop you a line in the next little while if my situation changes. Thanks a lot for the advice, by the way nice choice of car, the 328 is slick!

*th-up*