PDA

View Full Version : Update on my current project.

Autotechnica
06-18-2007, 01:09 AM
Not a BMW, but I thought some of you may be interested in what I've been doing lately with my car. As some of you may or may not know, I now have a Volvo 850 Turbo. I've done quite a lot of work to it since last year when I bought it used. Here's how the dyno went. It has a tune for 22psi of boost and will break the 300WHP mark. However, we had issues with the tuning after the engine reached a certain temperature, so we could only keep it stable at 16.5psi long enough to do this run. As you can see, there are still some problems between 3000-4500rpm range. A little bog, it gets much worse at higher RPM's. AFRs are 11.5, full boost comes in at 3300RPM. It's a TD04-19T, the largest compressor wheel for the TD04's. This turbo is somewhat comparible to a GT28RS in terms of capable power output.

Here's the dyno plot. Car makes 222HP stock and 240lbs*ft TRQ @ the crank.

My car was dyno'd on a dynapack which is usually shows lower figures than other dynos. New turbo setup put out 271WHP and 369.7lbs*ft TRQ @ 16.5 psi. Once we get all the tuning issues sorted out, we estimate 300-310WHP and close to 400lbs*ft TRQ @ 19-20PSI.

ZiMMie
06-18-2007, 01:16 AM
nice #'s / Car/
Jst the wrong wheel drive :(

Autotechnica
06-18-2007, 01:22 AM
nice #'s / Car/
Jst the wrong wheel drive :(

I know what you mean, I bought this car mostly because of the engine. Factory turbocharged motors are the way to go. You don't have to worry about bending rods and high compression. And anyways, there's enough grip and I've got KW coilovers with a whole whack of other suspension mods. Handles well enough. Obviously RWD is better, but how many of you guys actually drift your cars on the street or even make enough power to break traction?

My buddy puts down 500 to the wheels on a FWD car just fine. :)

I've got a nice RWD beast comming next summer. It's supercharged and it's a Ferrari wannabe ;)

Eurostyle
06-18-2007, 02:27 AM
Terry would just *mw* *mw* *mw* over this!!!

Nice work!*th-up*

Red_Liner740
06-18-2007, 11:46 AM
*Sigh

this brings me back to my Volvo days...

although mine was the Right wheel Drive ...lol

and I was making enough power to always have traction issues in fist and second, one tire fire didnt help.

still running the stock IC?

and you still have to worry about engine internals, even on turbocharged engines, simply because like any other engine, it was designed with a certain power output and u're surpassing it.

Hows the tranny holding up on it? stick or auto? I ended up getting out of the whole RWD Volvo scene simply cuz i was sick and tired of breaking tranny's....i destroyed 3rd gear on 3 or 4 of them, cracked housings on two of them....

good luck with it, its gonna be a wild beast

Autotechnica
06-18-2007, 06:25 PM
I pretty much have all the bolt-ons. Here's what I'm running for anyone who's interested.

Rica 22psi tune, Iridium regapped plugs, Blue injectors, AEM adjustable fuel pressure regulator, EST reversal intercooler piping, EST aluminum FMIC, EST CAI, Turbo XS BOV, MSD Blaster SS coilpack, Magnecore wires, custom water/meth injection, TD04 19T, EST 3" downpipe, EST 2.5" catback exhaust w/ race cat, Dawes MBC/Greddy Profec Spec B EBC, AEM UEGO wideband AFR, completely stock block, etc etc.

The main reason I ever see anyone bend a rod isn't because the bottom end can't take it, it's because of crappy tuning, running too lean, boost spikes, spooling too quickly, etc. The Supra is proof that a factory turbo motor can be boosted reliably to 600WHP +. I had a friend with a GT28RS 850 Turbo who abused the car hard and revved the piss out of it every day. He drove it from 170,000kms to 280,000kms and the motor and turbo was still tip top. A lot of people I know smoke their motors because either they can't find a tuner or they get burned chips, pretty much asking for disaster! Good thing for my Wideband, my first tune that was shipped to me was running uber lean. A lot of people don't even have wideband gauges. I'm pretty sure if I continued driving with the first tune I had my engine would have been toast a long time ago.

As with any turbo car, if you increase the power, you're obviously shortening the life span of the motor. That doesn't mean the motor can't take it. It's built to exceed what a stock motor puts out. Drive smart and you'll be fine. I've been on a stock auto box for a year now and it's holding up great. I think these Volvo Toyota tranny's are junk, but they can still take 300ish whp and still survive. I have half the parts I need for a tranny swap, that should be happening some time in the next 2-3 weeks. No more brake boosting :(

Bry

Autotechnica
06-18-2007, 06:36 PM
Terry would just *mw* *mw* *mw* over this!!!

Nice work!*th-up*

Where is Terry, is his car still around? I haven't seen/talked to him since he asked me to install his boost gauge months ago. Never happened though.

Soldo
06-18-2007, 11:19 PM
Ewwwwwwwwww, a VOLVO. What a pussy car, at least mine can make it to the track and back in one piece!

:P

jeffrie
06-18-2007, 11:57 PM
Ewwwwwwwwww, a VOLVO. What a pussy car, at least mine can make it to the track and back in one piece!

Used to think the same, steriotyping them with soccor moms till I found a few that could do this sort of thing.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/wm/351BFB5C-96F3-43C2-9E18-45E6E0E6760C.htm

Autotechnica
06-18-2007, 11:57 PM

Yea but it would take 3 times as long :P

Autotechnica
06-18-2007, 11:58 PM
Used to think the same, steriotyping them with soccor moms till I found a few that could do this sort of thing.
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/wm/351BFB5C-96F3-43C2-9E18-45E6E0E6760C.htm

lol, kevin is joking. He's just jealous

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ew6YwIN2IQc

this vid is much better.

jeffrie
06-19-2007, 12:11 AM
^^^ dislike the "FORD" volvo's.
I did almost buy one thoe, purly for the engine.

Kev joking..... I just used that as an excuse to post one of my fav vids :)

Autotechnica
06-19-2007, 12:17 AM
^^^ dislike the "FORD" volvo's.
I did almost buy one thoe, purly for the engine.

Kev joking..... I just used that as an excuse to post one of my fav vids :)

??? were you referring to the 850 in the video? Those are purely swedish and more than a decade old. FORD had nothing to do with the company when that car was made. The first real FORD Volvo was the S40 which shares the chassis with some of the Mazda's. Nothing else about even the S40 is FORD. FORD did adopt the T5 motor and used it in the Focus ST which I thought was really cool.

850 and S70 were all swedish, and my car is the same model as the one in the video. Actually, because of the rear tailights, it's an older '92 model. Mine is a '96.

BMW_7
06-19-2007, 12:19 AM
Hey Bry. dammmmn it was such a long time. But it's great that you have such a project going for you, and then a NSX coming too, wow I can't help but feel jealous.

Looks like you got the FI bug, hehehe something that you didn't do in the 318. I wonder why you haven't done it to your 318. Maybe you realized how difficult it was to go NA and it taught you more so now you could apply it to your current cars?

Is your volvo your daily & winter driver? if so that's crazy. My car is beginning to fall apart haha but I think it can last so much more. I'm still at 175k on the odo can you believe that??

Anyway take care.

By the way, why did you decide on a NSX and not go with something like a 930 Turbo, those cars are just a dream car to me IMO.. Personal preference though...

Autotechnica
06-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Hey Bry. dammmmn it was such a long time. But it's great that you have such a project going for you, and then a NSX coming too, wow I can't help but feel jealous.

Looks like you got the FI bug, hehehe something that you didn't do in the 318. I wonder why you haven't done it to your 318. Maybe you realized how difficult it was to go NA and it taught you more so now you could apply it to your current cars?

Is your volvo your daily & winter driver? if so that's crazy. My car is beginning to fall apart haha but I think it can last so much more. I'm still at 175k on the odo can you believe that??

Anyway take care.

By the way, why did you decide on a NSX and not go with something like a 930 Turbo, those cars are just a dream car to me IMO.. Personal preference though...

My BMW project ended for the same reason that you just stated. The car was starting to fall apart. Honestly, the E30 has had a great reputation for being long lasting, strong, nicely built car. I wish I could say the same for the E36. In my opinion, as much as I loved that car, it wasn't up to BMW spec, it was poorly made and the chassis was quite weak. The panels sucked ass and rusted up bad. Almost all E36's that I see driven in summer and winter have rusty body panels. It turned me off big time. Turbo kit for the 318 would be a waste of money. Like $10,000 for a mosselman kit and what, 190WHP? That's retarded. I would swap the M3 motor seeing as they are relatively inexpensive now and turbocharge it, but how long will the body last? E36's are getting old and it's getting harder and harder to find good ones running around. The funny thing is I see more E30's on the road and even more that are rust free as compared to E36's. Long live the E30!

The volvo 850 on the other hand, they dont' seem to rust no matter what you throw at it. Even seriously beaten up ones with 300,000kms on them seem to keep rust free. I see so many old 740's which are driven by owners who obviously don't maintain their cars. They are still rust free.

I guess that's why I want an NSX. A small reason is because of it's all aluminum body. :) But mostly it's because I want something that looks pretty, RWD, somewhat cheap and reliable and relatively fast. Plus it's a great drifting car.. haha, you'll always go sideways no matter what. How much is a 930 turbo? A '92 NSX is around $35,000-$40,000. I opted for the crappier 3.0L motor, but there's a huge price gap between the mid 90's and early 90's NSX's because of the 3.0 vs 3.2 motors. Oh well, nothing a supercharger won't fix. As for bimmers, I don't really see anything I like, or I can afford lol. The only one would be the 335, but damn that's $$$$$. I would love to own an E30 M3 one day.

Bry

jeffrie
06-19-2007, 12:46 AM
??? were you referring to the 850 in the video? Those are purely swedish and more than a decade old. FORD had nothing to do with the company when that car was made. The first real FORD Volvo was the S40 which shares the chassis with some of the Mazda's. Nothing else about even the S40 is FORD. FORD did adopt the T5 motor and used it in the Focus ST which I thought was really cool.

850 and S70 were all swedish, and my car is the same model as the one in the video. Actually, because of the rear tailights, it's an older '92 model. Mine is a '96.

Thanks for the corection, I was unaware when Ford took over.
I did know their engines were the last to be sucked up into the void to be replaced with useless Ford replacments.
Hope it hit home hard and was stopped in it's tracks.
It's been yrs since I'v bothered interests in researching into Volvo now that I'm settled with what I have now + my Sweedish frinds hate the company (as they say no longer exists) with a passion since Ford closed all Swidish plants.
FYI I hate all the new BMW's & if I were to convert, what Volvo should I be looking @ if I would want best power potential from a 2005+ build date?

NOTORIOUS VR
06-19-2007, 06:06 PM
what are you tuning with?

Furious
06-19-2007, 08:52 PM
what are you tuning with?

urine is a megasquirt guy, hes pretty smart in terms of the in's and out's of the system, ive read a few of his threads on bfc regarding it.