PDA

View Full Version : Where can i get a safe n reliable engine cleanin!

fabolous
06-09-2007, 03:56 AM
I heard that bimmers, some are notorious for electrical problems some of which can occur from doin n engine cleanin! I own a 1995 325i n i was hopin to get a nice n safe engine cleanin so i can get the engine lookin as clean as the exterior n interior of the car! Wonderin what the proper method for doin n engine clean on a bmw n where i might be able to get it done safely n stress free!

marphyin
06-09-2007, 08:54 AM
Well, I did myself. No problem. You already know the problem. Cover all the electrical parts and that is.
Or you can call Mark and ask him. His ID on the max is Marky_Mark.

JUS_CRZN
06-17-2007, 08:13 AM
Try Autospa in mississauga or Scotts car care in milton.

Deneb
07-02-2007, 01:16 PM
I do mine without covering anything but the alt (not very well either).
Just don't flood the engine with water. Get a multi-setting nozzle and set to shower then apply your cleaner.
Scrub or wipe with a brush then flush with same setting.
Dry or wait to dry by itself then apply dressing, 303, whatever you like to get the engine looking new.
No start issues afterwards.

You can run the engine while washing off the cleaner/degreaser and when it stumbles, back off until it recovers then continue.
Repeat as often as necessary until you are satisfied.
Just don't wash the engine while it's hot.

fdetobicoke
07-12-2007, 02:28 PM
www.finedetails.ca

There are 25 locations accross Ontario.

rendered
07-29-2007, 11:05 PM
What does Marky Mark think about this topic?

I took my car to a fine details to have the engine shampood, and within a few weeks, one of the sensors went defective. I have a funny feeling it had to do with the engine shampoo!

HoldenC
07-30-2007, 02:15 AM
It's possible that the engine shampoo did some damage. Fine Details is a volume detailer and mistakes do happen with that kind of shop.

However, it's really difficult to tell if the engine shampoo is what did your sensor in. When an engine detail goes bad, usually the results are apparent right away. Such as, your car won't start (water seeping into the ignition coils).

You can only speculate at this point. But, you can go back and ask them if they properly protected your electrical system during the detail.

In the future, I'd recommend you seek out the services of a quality detailer. There are very few around, so if you need a hand just ask.

Vicman17
08-22-2007, 04:24 AM
Just spray with a citrus engine degreaser, let sit for 10+ minutes then wash off with lowest possible flow from your hose. Leave your hood open to dry then dress the plastics and rubber with your favorite protectant. Be careful when doing this on top of asphalt driveways, cirtus and other degreasers will melt the surface off the asphalt.

The only electricals you should be worried about is the ECU which in the 5 Series is under the charcoal air filter. Just stay away from this.

Marky_mark
08-23-2007, 07:10 PM
What does Marky Mark think about this topic?

I took my car to a fine details to have the engine shampood, and within a few weeks, one of the sensors went defective. I have a funny feeling it had to do with the engine shampoo!

Here's my advice on doing engine shampoo
1. make sure that you use a good cleaning product I like to use a citrus cleaner the main reason I like to use it is because its safe to use and is non toxic and it will not damage any parts in the engine bay
2. always make sure the engine is not hot make sure its cool under the hood before you do an engine shampoo
3.The best way to clean and rise and engine bar is with a pressure washer
but do not hold it close to the air box or the wiring or the box where the computer control unit is
4. use compressed air to blow off the engine bar area this is you best way to dry the engine bay. If you don't have compressed air then you will have to use a rag or cloth and a chamois to dry the engine bay but make sure this chamois is not the one you use to dry your car off with and then after you dry it off start up the car and let it run for a few minutes to make sure everything is okay
5. final step detailing the engine bar with a dressing to shine the rubber and plastic and it also protects the rubber and plastic

as for your sensor failing its hard to really say the engine shampoo did the damage I have never had a problem when doing a engine shampoo maybe I'm just lucky but with today's high tech cars you never know when something can go wrong with them

HoldenC
08-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Here's my advice on doing engine shampoo
1. make sure that you use a good cleaning product I like to use a citrus cleaner the main reason I like to use it is because its safe to use and is non toxic and it will not damage any parts in the engine bay
2. always make sure the engine is not hot make sure its cool under the hood before you do an engine shampoo
3.The best way to clean and rise and engine bar is with a pressure washer
but do not hold it close to the air box or the wiring or the box where the computer control unit is
4. use compressed air to blow off the engine bar area this is you best way to dry the engine bay. If you don't have compressed air then you will have to use a rag or cloth and a chamois to dry the engine bay but make sure this chamois is not the one you use to dry your car off with and then after you dry it off start up the car and let it run for a few minutes to make sure everything is okay
5. final step detailing the engine bar with a dressing to shine the rubber and plastic and it also protects the rubber and plastic

as for your sensor failing its hard to really say the engine shampoo did the damage I have never had a problem when doing a engine shampoo maybe I'm just lucky but with today's high tech cars you never know when something can go wrong with them

That's all great advice. Citrus degreasers are the best products to use when shampooing your engine for the same reasons noted above. You can find them at Home Depot.

However, I suggest home detailers do not use pressure washers on their vehicles. The potential for damage is too great. A regular water hose with a spray nozzle provides plenty of cleaning power.

Also, I prefer to dry cars with a microfibre drying towel rather than a synthetic or genuine leather chamois. Chamois lack the drying ability and durability of a quality microfibre towel. Nonetheless, you won't err choosing either option.