PDA

View Full Version : What's best for my car?????

M3Pilot
02-05-2002, 02:38 PM
Help me out guys, as I am torn about what is best for my car.
I take it that you have seen the post with the damage to my rear quarter.
BMW say I need a new panel, but I have also been told that it should just get repaired and filled, but which is best.

I fill that if it get beaten out and filled all the paint could sink, and a few months down the road, would look dreadfull.

But how good/original would it look if I get BMW to replace the whole panel.
I think some of the problem lies in the removal of the rear C pillar extention to the car. How easy is it to remove it, has anyone ever done it? I'm sure you would have to do it to put a new quarter on the car.I just want what it best for the car in the long run.
Anyone know these cars and work in a bodyshop?

Just because I get BMW to fix it won't guarentee that I get a good job would it. But I guess they have a rep to keep up and should make a nice job of it.
Help me out guys!

M3West
02-06-2002, 09:58 PM
Any body shop will try and sell themselves to get your work, but you could ask the service advisor at the BMW repair facility all of the questions you posted and depending on the person you talk to, you might get a sincere answer. Of course they will probably make more money by replacing the quarter-panel. I have a friend who owns a professional body shop here and I've seen factory new parts (fenders, hoods, etc.) which need minor repairs from damage during shipping. Even if you replace the quarter-panel with a factory new piece, you still may need filler, especially where there may be welds at adjoining panels. A good body repairman can repair your quarter-panel very well, and not have to replace it.

I think one good idea would be to ask other BMW owners in your area where they might have gotten repair work done. Even an independant body shop which specializes in finer automobiles would likely do a good job. Shop around. Get several estimates from several different shops. Ask to see a nicer vehicle which they are repairing and see what kind of work they do. Ask them all the questions you posted and compare!

Good luck!:)

braindamage
02-06-2002, 10:22 PM
Repair it. Don't replace it. As M3West stated, they are going to weld and use filler anyways. Keep everything original. Front panel can easily replace by unbolting and bolting on the new piece. Not the rear. Beat out the dent and body fill it!!!

djcontra
02-07-2002, 08:54 AM
Scout around different body shops, and examine their work for youself. Ask them to see some cars they've done, and also some that they're working on. Alot will be more than happy to show you how everything is done. I've never heard of a dent being fixed and then sinking in at all. My sister wrapped our lumina sedan around a gaurd rail one time, (yes she's ok dont worry), and we thought the car was a write off. When it came back from the body shop however, it was almost better than when we got it! Even the paint looked perfect!

M3Pilot
02-07-2002, 02:18 PM
I going to get it beaten out and metal filled. Has anyone heard of this?
I have just found out that the roof extention it welded to the roof and would be a nightmare to remove adn get to look right when replaced. I think it would be better to try and keep it looking original.