PDA

View Full Version : WTB: drop in K&N filter

Swerve
04-23-2007, 07:20 PM
how much? where's a good place to buy?

DINAN 3
04-23-2007, 08:04 PM
It's in mint condition w/ less than 5K of traffic.
Yours for $45 bucks + $10 for EXPEDITED shipping/insurance (48hrs service).....it's perfect...money back guaranty !

Follow the link for fitments on BMW's.

~~> http://www.knfilters.com/search/product.aspx?Prod=33-2070

K&N part number #33-2070

33-2070 Product Specifications
Product Style: Panel Air Filter
Height: 1 in (25 mm)
Outside Length: 9.313 in (237 mm)
Outside Width: 6.938 in (176 mm)
Filter Re-Oiling Amount: 1.03 oz (31 ml)
Inner Wire: No
Top Style: Open
Weight: 0.8 lb (0.3 kg)
Product Box Length: 9.88 in (251 mm)
Product Box Width: 7.63 in (194 mm)
Product Box Height: 1.81 in (46 mm)

Let me know,

Marv.
(mrvster@aol.com)

static
04-23-2007, 09:53 PM

please skip k&n, unless of course you want crap to go in your MAF and motor and cause a premature death.
Stock filter will give you as much power as any aftermarket filter.

FuryriderX
04-23-2007, 10:52 PM
please skip k&n, unless of course you want crap to go in your MAF and motor and cause a premature death.
Stock filter will give you as much power as any aftermarket filter.

this is true, i read an article where a guy flowtested a bunch of aftermarket filters, and the stock (mahle) filter he got from the dealership was the best one. the 'high flow' filters let junk through. plus, you can probably buy 4 filters from the dealer for the price of one k&n.

DINAN 3
04-23-2007, 11:41 PM
Have been using K&N for 20yrs on 3 cars...not a single problem.
They guaranty their product against all damages and aren't broke paying out claims either. They sponsor alot of racing and I'm sure those motors don't have stuff floating in 'em. I wouldn't believe half the crap that's spread on the internet.

static
04-24-2007, 10:37 AM
Have been using K&N for 20yrs on 3 cars...not a single problem.
They guaranty their product against all damages and aren't broke paying out claims either. They sponsor alot of racing and I'm sure those motors don't have stuff floating in 'em. I wouldn't believe half the crap that's spread on the internet.

the crap that they spread on the i-net is that K&N filter adds power. Maybe it does on some really restrictive filters, but not on BMWs. Also if over-oiled K&N kills the MAF.
For your info: real race engines get rebuilt very very often, so you can technically run them with no filter at all.
And the guarantee is BS as it is a slow process, not like engine gonna fail in a week/month. Try to prove that the filter killed the engine over a 2-3yr period.

DINAN 3
04-24-2007, 10:51 AM
Like I said before.....I don't know anyone personally who has had any issues with a K&N product...unless they were foolish enough to improperly clean it or over-oil it (like you said). I used their filter on my old 1988 MX-6 GT (RIP) for 18yrs and never had any engine trouble. It's on the E36 for 8yrs now w/out problems.

Jiver
04-24-2007, 12:30 PM
As long as you follow instructions your engine will be fine. I have been using K&N filters on my winter car, my motorcycle and my 330i ZHP (CAI) without any issues.

My motorcycle, bought new, is a 1993 Honda CBR600F2 with the drop-in filter swapped the first week of ownership. My 2000 Honda Civic SiR has had the K&N drop-in filter since new as well. First year with the K&N CAI on the 330i.

Jiver
04-24-2007, 12:34 PM

Be prepared to pay ballpark around $70-100 retail. Check around, CT, PartSource, etc for sales. They go on sale, on occasion for something like, 20-25% off.

static
04-24-2007, 04:57 PM
ok sure, no problems if used properly, but why overpay and bother when stock performs the same for less?

DINAN 3
04-24-2007, 05:34 PM
A) The opposite.....Stock is more...as you have to continiously replace your airfilters throughout the life of your car.

B) Assuming that stock performs the same is most likely wrong, as well. K&N is not in the business of selling an inferior product. Even if you believe what these internet scientist w/ homemade flowtest labs write :rolleyes:, with the K&N unit you still have the option of cleaning your filter as often as needed, without significant expense.

C) There is no reason to challenge K&N's horsepower claims, unless you have the facilities to conduct scientifically controlled horsepower measurements. Now I know that K&N's claimed gains are nothing significant, so it comes down to a personal decision.

InfiniteDice
04-24-2007, 09:53 PM
In what I'd consider practically the worse conditions Canada has to offer.

Cleaned it 3 or 4 times in the summer, and maybe 1 time in the fall just before winter.

The most important thing is, in a very dirty environment, you wanna clean and re-oil it often... every month or two, to be safe.

My K&N is 6 years old and I love it.