PDA

View Full Version : Questions on choosing Flywheel. Plz help!

M54TU Schnitzer
02-03-2002, 05:43 AM
I am interest in getting flywheel for my E46 330i. But I don't know which one to choose, can anyone help me? Which is better in terms of quality, performance and maybe price? Hv anyone expreience with anyone of this flywheel?

Active autowerke lightweight flywheel?
OR
Rogue Engineering lightweight flywheel?
OR
Tuner motorsport lightweight flywheel?

AA flywheel - weight 12 lbs $689-

RE flywheel - weight 11 lbs , replaceable friction plate is made from a heat-treated 1050 steel (vs. 1020 of the others) , balanced to 8000rpm on a Stewart-Warner balancer to ensure vibration free performance , eliminates the typical "idle chatter"
$595-

TMS flywheel - weight 11 lbs , "...with the TMS lightweight flywheel the noise may increase SLIGHTLY. The increased noise is very slight..." , crafted from aluminum with a replaceable heavy duty steel insert which contacts the clutch disc
$699-

Thanx very much

straight_6
02-03-2002, 02:57 PM
Have you thought about getting your stock flywheel lightened. Ask Motronix he can get it done for you at maybe half the price. I got mine done as part of my conversion through Motronix.

M54TU Schnitzer
02-03-2002, 04:04 PM
Do you remember how much did u pay? Do you like the result of it? Are you satisfy?

Thanx

straight_6
02-03-2002, 04:37 PM
No i do not rememeber how much i payed, and it is a diffrent type of flywheel so the price my be diffrent and i am very happy with it.

djcontra
02-03-2002, 05:14 PM
how do they lighten it? do they cross drill the flywheel?

I remember with my fieros i had light flywheels made custom made for when i dropped V8's in the cars. I only paid $340 to have the flywheel made, and i'm sure they could make one for a bmw but i dont know =/

i should ask though.

thinair
02-04-2002, 01:30 PM
Doesn't it matter where the weight it shaved though on a flywheel?

Like if you have two 12lbs flywheels, the one with less of the weight near the outer edge will accelerate faster.

Meaning a drilled out steel one can still be slower then a solid aluminum one. That said, a drilled out steel one is still better then stock.